Broken belt drive

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell that to my buddy who last season blew 2 belts on his 11 etec in less than 600 miles, he has at least 2 spares on him at all times

I call BS maybe 1st but non of the rest...................

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell that to my buddy who last season blew 2 belts on his 11 etec in less than 600 miles, he has at least 2 spares on him at all times

Absolutely no belt issues at all here. Between this and its fuel consumption it should definitely go back for a peek. Cause its not normal hate to tell you.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went in twice last year they keep telling him there is nothing wrong clutch wise for the blowing belts issue, I beg to differ myself, and the fuel burning needs to be looked at IMO but ain't my sled so I could care less

Absolutely no belt issues at all here. Between this and its fuel consumption it should definitely go back for a peek. Cause its not normal hate to tell you.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is that belt even adjusted. Belts like that stretch. Or wait till gates makes a carbon belt for that application, those belts are tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing that breaks on a sled is ever the fault of the operator, it is always the manufacturers fault.

:rolleyes:

I am sure lots of guys are going to be watching these types of threads closely, not because the Doo guys want to bash on Polaris, because we know next year what BRP is going to release once they see Polaris's success with belt drives, or that there were nay sayers who want to be right in saying " I told you so", but simply because most people want to see the belt drives be successful.

Every moving part requires a break in. Be it a chain, belt, whatever. I didn't notice any adjuster/slack limiter on the Polaris Belt system.

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This seems funny to me in 22 miles he blew the belt? Someone in the factory probably dropped a washer or a bolt in the engine compartment and it fell into the cogs while climbing lol

Jeff K

Reaction score
How is that belt even adjusted. Belts like that stretch. Or wait till gates makes a carbon belt for that application, those belts are tough.

Polaris is using a custom pitch Gates Carbon Belt for the belt drive. It is designed not to stretch more than a few mm, so they feel there should never be any adjustment needed. Time will tell.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris is using a custom pitch Gates Carbon Belt for the belt drive. It is designed not to stretch more than a few mm, so they feel there should never be any adjustment needed. Time will tell.

Is that pic of the broken belt of a production pro? I don't see a gates carbon in that pic.
I believe it will work out with some fine tuning, I'm hoping to see the belt drive from the factory from doo, plus a light weight can. Lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with no guard what's going to happen when your in a steep side hill and the weight of the sled is all on the lower panel? Won't it wear right through? My only concern.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with no guard what's going to happen when your in a steep side hill and the weight of the sled is all on the lower panel? Won't it wear right through? My only concern.

you must be dreaming people dont actually ride those steep hills... they jsut sit at the bottom and look at them talking about whose going to hit it !!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said before, Whether it be Polaris or aftermarket, there will be a tension pulley kit for the Polaris Pro. Slightly longer belt, so you can at least change out a pulley to re-gear or change belt.. Right now all you can do is change it all out, or so I'm told.

I was in Allan creek when I blew my chain on my REV. Unless it happened to you, you have no idea how helpless you feel going down a steep, tight trail or spot with no brakes. I was ready to jump ship a couple of times. lol

Jeff K

Reaction score
Is that pic of the broken belt of a production pro? I don't see a gates carbon in that pic.
I believe it will work out with some fine tuning, I'm hoping to see the belt drive from the factory from doo, plus a light weight can. Lol

Here is an excerpt from a sno-goer article:

"Polaris engineers worked with Gates to create the first belt-driven system on a mass-produced snowmobile. Dubbed the QuickDrive Low Inertia Drive System, the setup utilizes nickel-plated pullies, an extruded-aluminum drive shaft and a carbon-core belt with upgraded polymers to strip 6.5 pounds of rotating mass out of the driveline."

The Gates poly chain carbon belts look exactly like the one pictured. They are designed to strip off cogs instead of breaking.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen a pro with the belt drive last week, first impression i had was, how the hell do you change it being so tight, are the shafts tapered or something, i hope people swap out the belt after 100 miles so they can keep the strected belt as a spare, might be the only way to installed when it blows on the mountain... i think poo should of throw a tightner in as well, would of made life so much easyier

as for blowing cogs, i have have c3 belt drive on for a few years now and hit all sorts of crap, even had it skip a few cogs from strcting to much, but never ripped cogs off, something does not sound right, maybe to much flex in the stuctual supports holding the jackshaft and drivshafts, hope this does not become a academic problem

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from a sno-goer article:

"Polaris engineers worked with Gates to create the first belt-driven system on a mass-produced snowmobile. Dubbed the QuickDrive Low Inertia Drive System, the setup utilizes nickel-plated pullies, an extruded-aluminum drive shaft and a carbon-core belt with upgraded polymers to strip 6.5 pounds of rotating mass out of the driveline."

The Gates poly chain carbon belts look exactly like the one pictured. They are designed to strip off cogs instead of breaking.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352039570.347542.jpg
This is a gates carbon belt.

That's why I asked if the pic was from a prototype or production, because carbon belts have blue cogs, even the carbon bicycle belts made by gates have the blue cogs. Carbon are alot stronger than the older belts, so IF in fact that is a carbon belt being used on a production sled, than there is something seriously wrong, the lack of a tensioner could be a issue. A idler pulley or tensioner also gives more belt contact on the pulley, therefor there will be more cogs engaged.
Through my experience switching to carbon belts on industrial equipment two years ago, I have not broken a carbon belt yet, even purposely ignore adjusting them after they stretch, to see how long the will last. I'm constantly changing the older style still, I have about 50 pieces of equipment running gates polychain cog belts.
I was chatting to a fellow at the speciality sleds booth and he was running a c3 belt drive like the one in the photo, on his turbo etec spinning a 3". After the first season it looked like new.

Last edited:

Jeff K

Reaction score
View attachment 140102
This is a gates carbon belt.

That's why I asked if the pic was from a prototype or production, because carbon belts have blue cogs, even the carbon bicycle belts made by gates have the blue cogs. Carbon are alot stronger than the older belts, so IF in fact that is a carbon belt being used on a production sled, than there is something seriously wrong, the lack of a tensioner could be a issue. A idler pulley or tensioner also gives more belt contact on the pulley, therefor there will be more cogs engaged.
Through my experience switching to carbon belts on industrial equipment two years ago, I have not broken a carbon belt yet, even purposely ignore adjusting them after they stretch, to see how long the will last. I'm constantly changing the older style still, I have about 50 pieces of equipment running gates polychain cog belts.
I was chatting to a fellow at the speciality sleds booth and he was running a c3 belt drive like the one in the photo, on his turbo etec spinning a 3". After the first season it looked like new.

Gates is making the carbon polychain belt custom to Polaris specs, what that means I have no idea. I am sure it doesn't have to be blue to be a carbon belt. I agree that a tensioner should have been added from factory, but there will no doubt be a couple options coming out very soon that will add a tensioner and replace the Polaris $200 belt with a much more affordable regular Gates polychain belt. Either way, until there are many more sleds on the snow, we will not know if this is a common problem or an isolated incident. I know the guys at boondocker have put a bunch of miles on a belt drive turbo pro last spring without issue. Only time will tell.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guy from B.C. just posted his sons sled broke the drive shaft on his pro........on snowest

quoted from snowest:
"I got a pict, how do I load it, or I can text it to somebody and they can upload it.
it's clearly broke of at the drive side of the axle just outside the tunell , looks like it necks down there just before the hex of the drive shaft"

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the second drivshaft to go down on the poos, ouch

Hey Freddy. Why don't you get off the pro site, you ain't buying one, you don't like em, you know your junk is way better, so get lost, only reason ur always on the poo site I assume is to try and reassure yourself you made the right choice. So run along and make some more videos on the hardback hills where the sno bikes are climbing and the sleds are stopping halfway up and taking off up again, impressive, lol. Not sure if everyone else gets sick of your constant blah blah about poor poo problems, but I sure as hell do. Stick to your Doo cream sites, you guys can hang out and high five each other about how dominant you are, on the net.

Top Bottom