Bringing Alberta sled to BC

finndoo

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a used sled from Alberta and bringing it back to bc. I have no experience with out of province sleds so I am looking for a little advice. I intend on registering the sled in bc but I have no idea what documentation I need with the sled to do so. I also need to know where to do a lien search in Alberta. Is there a mandatory inspection required like they require on vehicles? I know that with registering I will need to pay tax but recently there has been checks at our favorite areas and fines have been issued for lack of registration, and I think it would be easier to deal with it immediately rather than try track a guy down years later to get the proper paperwork from 700 km away. Thanks :beer:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any registry can do the search. I would do it BEFORE you pay any money for it. You never know what the sled's history was. To register the sled, you need proof of insurance, and a bill of sale.

It's as easy as google.

I am looking at buying a used sled from Alberta and
bringing it back to bc. I have no experience with out of province sleds so I am looking for a little advice. I intend on registering the sled in bc but I have no idea what documentation I need with the sled to do so. I also need to know where to do a lien search in Alberta. Is there a mandatory inspection required like they require on vehicles? I know that with registering I will need to pay tax but recently there has been checks at our favorite areas and fines have been issued for lack of registration, and I think it would be easier to deal with it immediately rather than try track a guy down years later to get the proper paperwork from 700 km away. Thanks :beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
No inspection and like CUSO says, doo the search in Alberta before you pay any money. To register the sled in BC, take your bill of sale with you. All you will doo will be to register it and then pay the tax calculated from the price on the bill of sale. At this point there is no requirement to buy insurance as that is not mandatory in BC.

If you want in insurance in BC it is mandatory that you register it!

finndoo

Reaction score
No inspection and like CUSO says, doo the search in Alberta before you pay any money. To register the sled in BC, take your bill of sale with you. All you will doo will be to register it and then pay the tax calculated from the price on the bill of sale. At this point there is no requirement to buy insurance as that is not mandatory in BC.

If you want in insurance in BC it is mandatory that you register it!
Is there a legal document like we would have in bc, something like the NVIS, or vehicle transfer papers that has the serial number, sellers info and purchasers info, or is the " bill of sale " more than just a hand written agreement. Can I call from home to do a lien search before I go or does it have to be done in person at the office?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bill of sale should suffice to register the sled in B.C., with the items you indicated below. You are not operating an on-highway vehicle, so documentation may be different. If the sled was licensed in AB.(and therefore insured), you should be able to obtain the "Bill of Sale" from the back-side of the license sheet. If it was not licensed, it will not have an official AB. document to indicate it is coming in from AB., other than the hand written bill of sale.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is there a legal document like we would have in bc, something like the NVIS, or vehicle transfer papers that has the serial number, sellers info and purchasers info, or is the " bill of sale " more than just a hand written agreement. Can I call from home to do a lien search before I go or does it have to be done in person at the office?

If the machine is new enough there will be a NVIS if the previous owner provides it. Otherwise, a hand written "bill of sale" is all that is necessary for the BC registration. Sorry, the Alberta search, I can't help you with as I have never done that.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before buying always do some research on the sled for liens or whether it's stolen. You can get RCMP to search their records to see if it's in their database or run the VIN on CPIC. For liens you'll have to get it done at a government access centre (in BC), guessing the same in Alberta.

finndoo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, it looks like it should not be a big hassle to bring a sled in to bc, and a lien search as well as checking out if it is stolen is a must. Just gotta get some things in order and hopefully the search for a new ride will begin soon.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done a couple of them. Go to an access center with bill of sale in hand. They may have you fill out a statutory declaration as well if you don't have the Alberta registration. Pay your 12% plus the 10 buck registration fee and you're good to go. No vehicle inspection required.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If registration isn't mandatory why would you bother so you can pay 12% on a used sled. What a rip off that is.

Exactly! Welcome to B.C.!

Been riding for 45 years and never once asked for registration, but........it is the law, and apparantly starting to be enforced in some areas. Not required for insurance, but required to avoid paying the fine. The fine's probably cheaper than the 12% tax though!

Last edited:

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Owned about 10 sleds in my life now. Never registered one yet. Enforce away, I'll risk the fine. I hate giving the government any more of my money for them to waste.

finndoo

Reaction score
Was looking at low mileage xm 163, but people want too much. I would have considered a 12 but they are asking almost as much for those. some of them even have 2000 km or more. When they are asking over 13g I am better off snow checking and getting 4 yrs warranty

Top Bottom