break in

mikesacrey1

Reaction score
just waiting for my new 2012 summit x to be put together,wondering what's the proper way to break it in or do you just go hard? Thanks.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just waiting for my new 2012 summit x to be put together,wondering what's the proper way to break it in or do you just go hard? Thanks.

Ride it like you always will, but only go full throttle for 10 seconds at a time.

Sent from my Desire HD

mikesacrey1

Reaction score
thanks,hope your right.From what i've been reading its a long process.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it is. 2 trips before mine was ready to rip hard.
But once it's ready you will get the biggest chit eating grin on your face. I know I still doo.
Sent from my Desire HD

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Main thing is to take it easy on it. That being said don't just ease on it. But give it short bursts of 3/4 to full throttle. Be sure not to hold it wide open for extended periods of time, like underdog said. You can also do heat cycles

Sent from Tapatalk

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I had my 09 800x, it's first ride was in the mountains and I didn't break it in like you guys do at all. I had er to the bars the whole time lol I got rid of it when it hit about 4000k and it was still going strong. Ran flawless.

Sent from my mobile phone

there are varying opinions for sure,, I think the idea of 2 or 3 heat cycles minimum makes sense just to let it heat and contract a few times but Im no professional otherwise i agree just run it dont baby it but not for minutes at a time WOT lol

sounds like these e tecs wont let ya hurt them anyways so just ride

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was always told to mix a little oil in the gas tank for the first tank or 2
I don't think you want to do this on the new fuel injected models but great for the older carb ones. I run extra oil in gas all the time on modified engine . But thats just me.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only way...
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
I don't know chit bout sleds. Every motor I have has been broke in this way. So far so good.

posted the same info on a rowdy thread about break in, be prepared to get ch!t on,, heat cyles are a complete waist of time and do absolutly nothing for your motor, ya have to get the rings to seat, not glaze the walls. talk to any of the winning racers for there break in. not a back row runner.

anyway i agree with your method. vary the friggin throttle.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
posted the same info on a rowdy thread about break in, be prepared to get ch!t on,, heat cyles are a complete waist of time and do absolutly nothing for your motor, ya have to get the rings to seat, not glaze the walls. talk to any of the winning racers for there break in. not a back row runner.

anyway i agree with your method. vary the friggin throttle.

bahaha so does that mean this is a good technique or a poor one lol,,, I got confused on the second sentance

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bahaha so does that mean this is a good technique or a poor one lol,,, I got confused on the second sentance
the idea is to get your rings to seat asap, as once the crosshatch wears your rings won't seal as well. ya don't need to be balls to the wall, just constant on and off the throttle, i heard alot of guys doing heat cycles supposedly to temper bearings and engine parts, bunch of horse ch!t, i would start the motor let it run for a few minutes and check for leaks etc. then take it for a run and vary the throttle, and run it that way until broken in, or shut it off, but no more ideling. yes it works but is controversial. applies to any motor. just the example is a motorcycle.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who cares brp is giving away free top ends at 2000km anyways. Let her rip lol

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I don't think you want to do this on the new fuel injected models but great for the older carb ones. I run extra oil in gas all the time on modified engine . But thats just me.

was told to do it when i bought my M8 efi...actually came with some oil mixed in the tank, if i'm not mistaken

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have always added extra oil for the 1st and 2nd tank. not sure why fuel injected sleds wouldn't benefit from a little extra oil, should make no difference. nice heads up plio.

mtn crazy

Reaction score
the oil injection on the etec is computer controled .so when it is in the break in mode it adjust"s the oil delivery to give more oil .
if you add extra oil to your tank you will foul your sparkplugs . from what my dealer is telling me new plugs are about $20.00 ea and most riders don"t carry extras.

Top Bottom