Boondocker M8 Turbo reliability and fuel consumption

Caribouhunter

Reaction score
Just woundering what the reliability and fuel consumption of a boondocker turboed M8 is compared to a stock M8.Thinking about getting a new sled for next year and im looking at putting a turbo on just want to know what all you turbo riders have to say.

Thanks

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about reliability and fuel consumption - then a turbocharged sled isn't for you... Ring and piston life is decreased, more stress on crankshaft, bearings, and rods. Fuel quality is essential, and fuel economy is non - existant when on the throttle.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode all last season with my first turbo setup on an 09 m8. The fuel consumption was crazy and the thing wouldnt run right...Until i figured it out. Yes they are a little more finicky than a stocker but once you have them set up WOW. Now it just runs great. Fuel consumption is down to about 2 more gallons than my buddies stocker in the same distance. You will have to do a little more maintenance each year, pistons/reeds etc, but all in all it is well worth the gains. The misconception of turbo 2 strokes being unreliable will soon be gone, as the systems get more refined and more user friendly.

venom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running a bd turbo on my 09 m8 for two seasons now.0 issues turbo wise,but it did take a few days/rides to get the tuning right.once u get familiar with the fuel controller it's not all that bad.I've had turboed 4 strokes as well and both required tuning,frequent maintenance checks and good fuel.the gains r unbelievable.

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2009 m8 BD pumpgas at 8 lbs of boost pull and go a year long. I usually burned 1-2 more gallons than the 2010 M8 my friend rode. They work great I Just need more power now!

Hicktown

Reaction score
I'm going to be running a turbo this year, also wondering the fuel consumption, not that I'm concerned, just want to make sure I pack enough fuel to get back to the trailer :D
I will have a pump gas set-up, but I'm still a little concerned about running straight pump gas, I have pre detonated on mod heads before that were also pump gas set-ups. Last year in Vale lots of guys had low octane codes showing so I'm thinking they have bad gas...
Should a guy be running some race juice to make sure? How much?
Thanks,

Hicktown

Reaction score
oh ok, awesome! I was also told running Av gas would solve my problem in a hurry, it's not much more than pump gas, alot less than race gas, always the same quality.
It's leaded correct? Does that cause any issues?

Thanks again!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah with a turbo be prepared to run some good gas like some c-111 or some c12 I run c12 in my 860 xp and works awesome no issues and I gotta say my big bore fuel mileage is better than what i was getting stock I hav been able to get around 140-150 km's on my fuel. I had it sputter out on me about 20 feet from the truck with a 155 km's on the trip range after playing hard all day now that is some good mileage I could barely get 80 km's with my stock m7. You will be doing more maintenance on a turbo sled than a stock one that is forsure but once it is tuned in it is usually pretty reliable just rember it's like a diesel truck better keep your finger half into that throttle to keep the boost up in the tight stuff or be prepared for some lag!!

Hicktown

Reaction score
I don't particularily care how well your XP does but thank you for you comments, however I do not see you running a turbo or an M8 for that matter, none of what you said helps this thread at all. As far as turbo lag you can set your fueling and gearing and clutching to minimize that greatly.

Can anyone tell me where a good place to get av gas is around Edmonton? Villeneuve airport wants a person to prove that you will be using it for aviation purposes.
I don't feel like paying for Race fuel anymore when Av gas is only $1.40/litre haha

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant believe you need to have some special licence to buy av gas. I have been using it for 10 years off and on depending on what type of machine i was running, and just pull up to the pumps with my cans and pay. Now i bring my race gas drums out and fill them up. Av gas has a longer shelf life than race so i can keep a couple of drums around untill it is all gone. You should be able to contact someone who uses smaller planes and meet them at the airport to fill you up. Just bring a drum so you dont have to do it every week.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Website
www.adrenalinejunkiesinc.ca
Try and find a farmer that has a spray plane. They will give u a way better deal on the AV gas. When regular fuel was sky high a few years ago, i was getting AV gas for 85 cents a litre. Last winter i payed $1.10 a litre because he figured he would add in the shipping costs of it. Definetly look for a spray plane operator. Ran a BD PGT on my m8 for 3 years with zero troubles. Always ran between 10 to 12 pounds in the hills. Would run out of fuel at 11 pounds back home. Straight av gas and zero issues and zero sign of detination on the pistons.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
I'm not sure what this turbo lag thing is, which is discussed above. Should maybe try riding a turbo sled in the tight stuff before talking lag. My TM8 has no lag. It's not as crisp off the hop, but lag? No, not even close:)

Sparx

Reaction score
Very impressed with the fuel mileage on this sled so far coming from a 2007 M1000 with SLP setup. My TM8 is better than my M1000 was, never added fuel to the tank on any of the runs up the hill and was getting an easy 50miles to the tank of hard riding. One big key I think is not running any richer than you have to by being dialed in and just putting up the trail not being on the boost much at all... I didn't need much more than half throttle so far on my sled to climb anything I pointed my sled at. Gonna be trying av gas here soon if I can get some at the local airport.

1968chevy

Reaction score
IF YOU KEEP YOUR BOOST PRESSURE WITHIN THE CHARTS GIVEN BY BOONDOCKER YOU WON'T HAVE ANY TROUBLE RUNNING PUMP GAS.:rules:
08,09,10 M8'S ON BD PUMPGAS TURBO 3RD YEAR RUNNING, 2010 HEAD HAD TO BE CHANGED AND KEEP EYE ON Y PIPE HAVE SEEN SOME CRACKING. :Snowmobile1:

Top Bottom