Bolder closed

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, why doesn't the revy club put up some more signage for people to find their way back to the cabin. On socked in days it can be a challenge connecting back on the trail for the cabin without turning right too early.

you pay 15 grand for a sled pay the extra 500 for a good gps then never worry. my rino will get me on an off the mountain in a complete white out wouldn't want to ride without it

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or atleast some skill testing questions for the renter's.

1. Have you ever ran a snowmobile.
2. In the mountains?

Maybe you should splurge for the guide option.

Instead of: here is your gun, here is one bullet. Make it count.

Your sarcasm wasn't lost on me.

When guys wanted to rent sleds from me that weren't going out with someone experienced i would ask

1. do you know how to change a belt
normal answer what belt?

2. Do you know how to do a clutch start
normal answer what is a clutch start?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to all the seasoned backcountry riders, how were your first riding trips in the backcountry when you first started riding?
I rode with experienced guys. I didn't realize it at the time but I was super fortunate to have a collection of friends and associates that were good and experienced backcountry ambassadors.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to all the seasoned backcountry riders, how were your first riding trips in the backcountry when you first started riding?

I look back on my first 2 seasons and am thankful none of us were seriously hurt or hurt someone else. Lots of beers back then and nobody batted an eye. Lots of riding without avy experience or knowledge. I stopped riding with most of them or they got out of the sport all together. We were very lucky.

Glad these young bucks made it out alright, could have been a lot worse. Hopefully we can all learn from this. I know I am going to start posting our radio channel in my truck window. Our group usual ride away from the crowds, always let somebody at home know where we are going. We are an experienced group and are prepared to spend at least one night on the hill.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with experienced guys. I didn't realize it at the time but I was super fortunate to have a collection of friends and associates that were good and experienced backcountry ambassadors.

Most of our group learned from one person that started a couple years before the rest of us.
Without this guidance I don't think all of us would be here today.
We where all well trained in first aid and winter survival but the avy training was not till 4 years later with me and three friends.
Then everyone was "forced" to get trained to save each other.
Tools and first aid survival gear was never an issue.

Then after 17 years in the mountains I let a couple bad choices slide by in one day last year.
We were fortunate that we had the training we did or a .98m burial on a huge slide would have been a recovery and not a rescue.
The sled was a solid 3m under the surface.
All 9 of us walked away scared, in shock and somewhat scarred for life. Some more than others.
Lots of opportunity to stop the sequence of events, lots of tough days afterwards as their leader.

I can easily understand how some one untrained or inexperienced can get in trouble.
It is easy to be a post mortem critic - be a teacher instead.
Never be shy to intervene on others - help keep SAR teams home.
Thank God for the efforts of SAR teams when they are called to duty.

Glad to hear both fellows walked away to hopefully get the training they need.

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once or twice a year I try and do an overnighter. I bring my camping gear but even if you didn't if you are prepared it is no big deal. Everyone should go do it at least once so they know.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.kelownanow.com/watercooler/news/news/Kelowna/Two_missing_snowmobilers_from_Kelowna_tell_the_story_of_their_rescue/

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once or twice a year I try and do an overnighter. I bring my camping gear but even if you didn't if you are prepared it is no big deal. Everyone should go do it at least once so they know.

Good one Ray, I remember many many moons ago, as the president of local club I wanted to see if anyone wanted to do a random overnighter in the mountains. I had about 15 people interested but they wanted to know what day it was exactly and where. I asked why, and the answer was, so we could make sure that we have what we need for the night. And my answer was, well what about ever other day that you ride in the mountains. Needless to say, it never happened. But to this day I still practise getting a fire going every now and then just to keep that skill good!!

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Noto Serif, serif]“We were on our last legs, honestly, so it was perfect timing. We were freezing up and didn't have supplies and it was a scary time for sure," he says. “We were talking, and we honestly didn’t think we were going to make it through another night."[/FONT]

http://www.coastmountainepic.ca/

[FONT=Noto Serif, serif] These ladies one over 60 spent 6 months skiing from Squamish to Skagway in one of the most brutal winter we had last season. And these guys didn't think they could make it through another night. [/FONT]:rolleyes:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
“We were on our last legs, honestly, so it was perfect timing. We were freezing up and didn't have supplies and it was a scary time for sure," he says. “We were talking, and we honestly didn’t think we were going to make it through another night."

http://www.coastmountainepic.ca/

These ladies one over 60 spent 6 months skiing from Squamish to Skagway in one of the most brutal winter we had last season. And these guys didn't think they could make it through another night. :rolleyes:

These guys were unprepared, untrained and not pacing them selves.
Never ever sweat yourself out.

I think those young ladies had a well planned trip......and not their first gig either.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Till one has exspeireced an unexspected overnight in ulgy conditions, they could not judge.. been there done that, don’t want to do it again!! Your never prepared for that!!

Top Bottom