Blown Engine on 04 Summit 800

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So...some of you know I had some awesome sledding this weekend, just not on my sled. Somethings wrong with my engine. Let's see who guesses what and when I figure it out we'll see who's the doo king on here.

Problem Started with not being able to start in the am, and the engine seeming to just get flooded and puke out gas once I pulled the plugs. Had to pull over around 60 times before gas stopped coming out.

Next, was side hilling in the pow and it just went "blah". Once again pulled plugs, burnt off whatever, and took a few pulls to get her going.

Then it seemed to be "bogging" out or so I thought. Like I couldn't let it idle whatsoever, it just wanted to die.

Then final straw was going up the trail waiting for some people and it died just sitting there on a packed trail and was near impossible for myself and a couple guys to start. So I decided to head back to the cabin.

Took off the belt and it was hard to manually turn the primary clutch. So I got towed down and now she's in the shop waiting to be worked on.

So all you ladies and gents out there with knowledge. Let's see what YOU think the problem is and I'll keep you posted with pics and stuff as I work on it. I'm starting Wedsday after work. :D

Cheers!

:beer:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you pull the plugs again before trying to turn it over by hand with no belt? Sounds like you stuck the floats and your filling it up with fuel. :confused:

I did pull the plugs and one looked a lil Rusty and there was a bit of metal on it.

Squeeked a piston and my bet would be the clutch side........maybe damaged both. Snow ingestion into the carbs???

I'm checking the pistons first before yanking the engine. So taking off pipe, Y pipe and looking at the pistons to see if they are scratched or not. From there...well I don't know. See what the boys say. Sled wrenching party Weds! haha

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I should mention that before MM4, she overfueled and I had to pull the plugs etc and she p!ssed out some gas on my buddies garage floor. So pulled plugs, burnt off gas and let her sit. Then when I loaded the sled she fired right up. No issues all that weekend.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a ring let go if you got shrapnel on a spark plug,suck out the coolant and pull the head off.it'll tell the whole story,my bet is a carb boot is delambed and she leaned out

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a ring let go if you got shrapnel on a spark plug,suck out the coolant and pull the head off.it'll tell the whole story,my bet is a carb boot is delambed and she leaned out

Well I'll start with checking the pistons, then go from there. See what my buds say :beer:

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be a lot of things. The extra fuel could be a fuel pump diaphram shot and dumping fuel straight into the case. The stiff engine is either a piston or crank bearing going out. Which could be caused by the fuel pump if that's where the fuel's coming from. The fuel may also be a stuck float but the sled shouldn't have ran hardly at all from the time it stuck?

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump passing, causing flooding situation on starting, and too much fuel in the bottom end, causing lack of lubrication taking out a crank/rod bearing.

It is still oil injected ? Or are you mixing

is there a prize ?......lol

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many miles?

shortblocks are dirt cheap on the 800ho and bulletproof. sometimes not worth a rebuild if youve got some miles on it.

I bought the sled with 3500kms (or around there) and the guy that sold it to me said it was a new crate engine. He's a crook and took complete advantage of me when he sold me the sled, so I'm not sure if I believe that anymore. I have put on probably 2000kms since I started sledding last year. I've heard a crate might be the way to go.

Could be a lot of things. The extra fuel could be a fuel pump diaphram shot and dumping fuel straight into the case. The stiff engine is either a piston or crank bearing going out. Which could be caused by the fuel pump if that's where the fuel's coming from. The fuel may also be a stuck float but the sled shouldn't have ran hardly at all from the time it stuck?

She ran fine until it went "blah" lol. I will check that out as well. thanks!

QUOTE=heavy d;1087997]Fuel pump passing, causing flooding situation on starting, and too much fuel in the bottom end, causing lack of lubrication taking out a crank/rod bearing.

It is still oil injected ? Or are you mixing

is there a prize ?......lol[/QUOTE]

It's oil injected. And you have the idea that most do for sure.

Hmm...a prize...I'd say a case of beer but it depends where you live lol

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well my guess has already been said! by heavy d. had a friend who could get his sled going and it was really hard to pull over so he brought it over to my shop and we started taking the can and pipe off it and the pipe was full of gas so pulled the plugs and the whole bottom/top end was full of gas as well hahaha no wonder why it was so hard to pull over... :rolleyes: lol

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's oil injected. And you have the idea that most do for sure.

Hmm...a prize...I'd say a case of beer but it depends where you live lol

i was just joking, you'll need that beer money for your new short block. Be sure to check the condition of the oil pump cable when your in there.....good time for a replacement if it is at all fatigued. Best of luck Rowdy

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill! I'm hoping not either, but also banking on it being around 2 g's...ouch

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to here about your bad luck. Hopefully it's just a top end but be prepared for a short block. I'll sell you a t-m8, jk. hope your dealer/mechanic is honest with ya, just saying.

well I sure as eff won't be going through the dealer that sold it to me. He's a crook. I'll be working on her myself with some friends that I've bribed with beer and food.

Top Bottom