blowing belts?

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, just blew my brand new belt on test drive today.

I have a 07 BF 650I, I've got a Highlifter extreme clutch kit on it and I've snorkeled the in and out of the cvt.

Since I got the Clutch kit, I blew my original belt that had about 90 hrs shortly after putting the clutch kit in.
Then I got a new OEM belt and added a snorkel in and out of my CVT and blew the belt on my first test ride with the new snorkel, did it when I was riding a dirt road at top speed. I think this may have been because I had the snorkel pointing back and the air turbulence was pulling air out instead of letting it in.

So then I got this aftermarket belt that was about $30 cheaper than the OEM, turned the snorkel forward into the wind and took it out. Got about 1/2 mile into a top speed run of about 75kmph after riding in the bush for the first 15 minutes and then blew the brand new belt.

Any ideas????? I'm going to call Highlifter in the morning, I can't keep buying new belts, can't see how I could have overheated the belt as there was no rubber on the belt pullies like the first time I blew the belt.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the clutch kit could have misalligned the clutches which is causing the belt the ride wrong on the clutches which could break it. i know it happened when i put my clutch kit in but i never blew a belt.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I had a dealer install my clutch kit, I went up there right after the belt went and he told me to give Highlifter a call in the morning and then let them know what highlifter told me.

Just thought others may have had the same thing happen and what caused it.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the other day i heard the parts guy for kawi say that the brutes have a tendency of blowing belts when held open for any amount of long distences

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The high lifter kits are made for low end torque and mud not high speed roads.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your not kidding, both times the belt went, it just completely destroyed them, nothing left but chunks of belt and fiber.
I'd think I could at least go a couple miles down a road at high speed without blowing the belt. :mad:

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never, EVER buy any belt for a Kawie other than a stock OEM belt.

They will continue to shred after you get your clutches tuned.

I'm assuming you blew a OEM belt the first time. Is your belt aligned? What's your deflection set at?

slvrbrt

Reaction score
Is the Highlifter kit using a red secondary spring??? I have read that the red Secondary is thick enough that when the belt tries to pull all the way into the secondery sheaves, the spring will be unable to compress past a certain point, as the coils will start to touch each other. I would think this would cause problems, if your secondary was unable to open any further, and you primary continued to try to close up. Could easily explain the top speed loss and blown belts.

Get rid of the HL kit, throw in an almond secondary (EPI), and a pink or maroon primary, the Dalton O/B primary works good also, but has a little higher engaugement RPM.

Top Bottom