Best top end rebuild kit?

Skyhigh

Reaction score
Throwing a top end in the old girl this fall before the snow flies. Anyone have any recommendations on which kit is best. All I really know of are Wiesco piston kits. Are these any good?

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will probably start a war. I have no problem with Wiseco pistons. They need more of a warm-up before you pull the trigger. I have also heard good things about SPI. The forged piston is stronger so there is less chance of the skirt cracking.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will probably start a war. I have no problem with Wiseco pistons. They need more of a warm-up before you pull the trigger. I have also heard good things about SPI. The forged piston is stronger so there is less chance of the skirt cracking.

Wiseco is a good piston. I agree with Ancient Sledder, warm up is EVERYTHING to the longevity of a top end.

To many people pull the rope and pin it, then wonder what happend 1500m down the trail. JMO

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im doin a freshen up in my 2009 m8 gonna give the wisecos a shot... adding a small coolent temp guage just so i know im safe before i grab a serious handful.

jonniebud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did my cat last year, used Wiseco. with no problem.but the agian i also did the bottom end as well.

firecat99

Reaction score
SPI sell a good piston, and you can really abuse them also, and they have a new stronger piston called hyperdrive or something on those lines, there cheap also Ebay always has them and cheap gasket kits also, I have to agree wiesco you really have to warm the pistons up before moving but if you can wait for the guage to say go then there ok, Ive used both for many different builds and many different brands of sleds and in my opinion I like the SPI's alot cause i can get 4 pistons for the price of 2 wiescos or 2 stock pistons, and I like my topends fresh so I keep spares around for a few years and just do rings if they burn good

mark4

Reaction score
Throwing a top end in the old girl this fall before the snow flies. Anyone have any recommendations on which kit is best. All I really know of are Wiesco piston kits. Are these any good?

well since your in 1M cat section I would say were talking about an ol cat so I would suggest a 975 kit from Terra Alps Racing with stock cast pistons (reliable)

Top Bottom