Best snow tires. I do not want tracks.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my MudZillas in the snow they work good but i do have the extra power to spin them like crazy, i was playing in 2+ feet of snow last couple of years and never realy got stuck, hills are a little tricky and need a few trys if they arent packed in good,

the mud bugs work good to if you dont have lots of torque to spin them, like if you ride a honda lol sry i had to :d

I agree, I have a Honda with 27" bugs and they work great in the snow. What's this spinning you're talking about? How do you do it?

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guys hes looking for a snow tire not a all around tire .

afew tires pop into mind here.

Now keep in mind if you high center a ATV there is no tire that will save you

BearClaws - they seem to bite really well in snow they have alot of tread bars and what not that seem to bite well in snow from my experience.

Highlifter MST- they are supposed to be premier snow tires with sipes that bite ice just like a winter car tire would.

paddle tires have never been the answer for me in the winter tbh they bite too much and dig me to the belly pan half the time. anything that can bite ice is welcome in my books.

also id think about a reasonable tire with chains on it or take a pair of stockers and stud them up those would prob work better than anything you can buy.

Yamaha4Life

Reaction score
I allready have an HMF roland series and a K7N air filter to run in the winter in the summer i runn T-Win filter or uni. But For winter i run k7n beacuse they generally let in more air than the other i know more air dosent mean clean air but the way i see it as their is not allought of dust flying around in the winter time. Im thinking of getting new jets to let more fuel in and also the stock jets must start to be getting clogged up. So for my tires leonard if i get Bear claw mud bug or 589`s which will be better? I personally think that the 26in 589`s will be best beacuse you can run them with like 2psi. Or will the 589`s crack in the could? My dealer siad they wont be a problem but i dont know if i can trust them:rant:

H.C.

Reaction score
The Kenda bear claw, not the EX the original in a 11" wide on a 12" rim.. cheap and proven to be a awesome tire.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally think that the 26in 589`s will be best because you can run them with like 2psi. Or will the 589`s crack in the could? My dealer said they wont be a problem but i don't know if i can trust them

the 589's we put on a friends honda are good tires but they have solid tread bar's that slide on ice.

the way i look at a winter tire is .. if you can hit bottom you need alot of tread hooking up or your going to spin. the bearclaws are good yes they have typically 3 dif tread bars touching at any given time with 3 different points of traction which gives your tires ability to bite on ice.

that said even with bear claws ive seen days where a good set of chains or studs for that matter would have been a gods send. esp on a lake.

you can run most tires at like 2-3 psi without much problem. id stay in the 3 psi range to avoid tires from popping off the rim if you say hit a stump in the snow ect. but that's pretty unlikely to happen (it popping off) and is somewhat of a stretch of the imagination unless your doing 60mph when it happens.

narrow tires with biting tread can be a nightmare on hardpack with no bottom tho so that's why i go to the bear claws .. good bite without having 2 inch tread bars to dig you down and lots of tread to the snow/ice.

we use a 300 honda to push snow in the winter with bearclaws on it and ive seriously pushed some huge piles of snow with those tires on icy surfaces without spinning out ive taken it on the lake aswell and it sure out did my grizzly when i had swamplites on because i would dig down and have no bite when i hit the ice and end up doing 5mph wide open just to avoid getting stuck those bearclaws how ever would bite and pull easier.

im just giving my experiences with these tires i ride with quite a large group with varrying ranges of tires on there bikes and to me for winter tires keep in mind i havent seen the MST's from highlifter (prob because they are expensive as hell) these bearclaws seem to be one hell of a winter tire.

personally what ever you buy id go search for some ice racer studs and have them placed on the tires for some extra bite if you plan on using them for winter only tires.

Yamaha4Life

Reaction score
WaW leonard thats a hudge reply thanks:d But the only thing is that i live near saskatoon a to get tires out here is s pian in the a$$ So i was just going by what the yamaha stealer had. I wounder what my mud bitches would by like in the deep fluffy stuff?:eek:

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rgr that.. keep in mind bear claws are a very common tire getting them should be easy as getting any tire.

i would say give the mud bitches a try and see. they have a hollow tread bar the lugs are large but they should be on par with any 589's you would come across prob better given the hollow center on there big tread bar and the square rigid tips they have i have 2 friends using them but have not seen winter results yet they won/bought them at the sporting show last year..

we have a mud bitch rep that frequents this site hopefully he will give us some feedback on the results they have had in the winter with them

i say give em a shot on some ice ect early on and see how they bite.

mudbitchguy

Reaction score
Website
www.supergripatv.ca
rgr that.. keep in mind bear claws are a very common tire getting them should be easy as getting any tire.

i would say give the mud bitches a try and see. they have a hollow tread bar the lugs are large but they should be on par with any 589's you would come across prob better given the hollow center on there big tread bar and the square rigid tips they have i have 2 friends using them but have not seen winter results yet they won/bought them at the sporting show last year..

we have a mud bitch rep that frequents this site hopefully he will give us some feedback on the results they have had in the winter with them

i say give em a shot on some ice ect early on and see how they bite.

Hey guys... Mudbitchguy here... actually it's Rej.

I appreciate all the feedback you have been saying about the mud bitch tires. As some of you know I have a 660 grizz w/ 27" MB and from personal experience and testing the tires out all summer, our Mud Bitch tire is one of the best tires around for serious muddin'!!!
Now I have been in the tire business for 10+ years and through my years of experience I have learned about a lot of different tires. Theoretically, harder compound tires, like our mud bitch and super light, should not work well in colder temperatures, b/c of the rubber compound. I have not personally tested the mud bitch tires in the winter so I can not give you a answer or opinion. I want to test these for myself (like I have all summer) then I can tell you which one of our tires will work in the winter. Theoretically, I can speculate that the Mud Bitch will do well in the soft fluffy snow, but on hard ice, I'm not too sure... Kepp in mind that the tire is call MUD Bitch not Snow and Ice Bitch...hehe

I'll test these out when it snows and let you know!!

Rej

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WaW leonard thats a hudge reply thanks:d But the only thing is that i live near saskatoon a to get tires out here is s pian in the a$$ So i was just going by what the yamaha stealer had. I wounder what my mud bitches would by like in the deep fluffy stuff?:eek:

If your riding the deeper stuff personally I wouldn't go with the bear claws. I had bear claws on my old honda before I put the mudbugs on. Ss was said on ice and more packed snow the bear claws were excellent and held on great but once into the powder and fluffy snow they wouldn't get me anywhere but stuck. I put the mudbugs on and could go anywhere in deep snow and didn't have problems with getting stuck at all, although once on ice they didn't hold on very well.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the mudbitches you have on your quad will be ok, they are close to mudzillas in tread pattern, i can go anywhere in the winter in 4X4 2+feet snow/packed trails they work well. but if you are running on ice stud them get some 3/16" or 1/4" hex heads and a cordless drill and go to town you wont hurt the lugs with 1/2" screws,
save your cash for a clutch kit and jet kit, and :beer: IMO its not worth spending 600-700 on a set of tires just for winter use

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last winter me and a bud went for a ride down House Mtn. in Whitecourt. Stupid as stupid can be. When it was time to go up that was a mess. Anyway he had a new 800 Outty with stock tires and could climb up that trail with ease. I think it was mostly because his quad was floating on top of the very deep and hard packed trail. Mine with 27" Bearclaws would just dig down and be stuck within seconds. I had to winch myself up the whole way. That sucked.:rant:

I really love my Bearclaws for all round mud and hard pack trails in the summer but hate them for winter. I'm not changing them cause I just don't do enough winter riding. I'll just be sure to not go down very very steep hills anymore.:p

Yamaha4Life

Reaction score
Thanks mudbitchguy. But since they are hard rubber compound do you think that they will crack? Beacuse if they do i will buy some mud bugs or bear claws. Beacuse i dont want $800 worth of these tires and rims wreked in one season.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol the rubber isnt hard enough to crack. although your tires will be really clean after every ride. the most your going to see is some ice scratches in the rubber ive never seen a tire crack. 589's are about the hardest rubber ive witnessed and they dont crack.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a set of studded tires I might part with!!They are mounted on 12" rimes with the 4/110 bolt pattern. Forget exactly what breed of tire they are but I put about 250 of the actual ice studs in each tire. The ice studs have a higher head than the hex head screws. And yes they do hook up good.

I will try and post pics in the next few days

Last edited:

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mud buggs or outlaws i would give forst place to the out lwas and second to the buggs, found the mudlites and swamp lighs just can not climb in the now like outlaws or buggs...... oh yeah 29.5s are the best by far for snow you can break thorough drifts up to your rack and still keep goin

Yamaha4Life

Reaction score
BIG_BRUTE750 im sorry but i never ridin with mudzillas. But the tread on the two are very close to the same. I don have some low speed wooble and if you try to turn sarp while gonig fast forgett it.

Top Bottom