Best 5th wheel toy hauler for extended vacations?

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trailair
This was on the trailer when we bought it. Ride was extremly smooth. Added the air bags only to help level the truck out. Did not make a difference with the handling of the trailer. After you hit a bump or on a bumpy road, if you look in the rear view mirror you can see it moving but hardly feel anything on the truck

With our trailer we also got the air bag hitch and WOW !! Is all I can say I was pulling a 24.5' Terry Quantum befor our toy hauler and me and my wife both agree the toy hauler pulls nicer, we also out the Trail Air suspension on all of the axles makes for a real nice pull. One thing I have noticed with pulling our trailer is it pulls nicer with our Rhino loaded then with out.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I might have to consider the air bag pin hitch accessory instead of the mor ride system.

There are so many little things that really make RVing nice. We are slowly making a list of things we think we may want in a toy hauler. Not very many trailers have the options that we think we want though. lol

From looking at as many pics on the WWW that we could find we are now looking at a handful of units. They are Glendale Titanium Model 36E41MPRVSA (lots of nice features but not as well insulated and possibly too small a garage and not enough cargo capacity...still a very nice unit), Keystone Fusion 398, Envy 38TSSA, Enduramax 3912END and the Open Range 397RGR.

There are a couple other Fusion and Enduramax models that might work well for us also. I really like the way the Open Range Rolling Thunder toyhaulers are built. Looks like a strong unit and they seem to be one of the best insulated models available.

I am still trying to find out if one can order some of these models to be insulated as well. Extra insulation is not only useful to keep heat in but to keep heat out as well. Running the generator to keep the RV cool might cost less in the long run with a well insulated RV. So a winter package would help even if you were camping in a hot climate...say in the southern states.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's input. We are not in a rush to purchase a toy hauler yet (especially when they are so expensive an investment) so in the mean time we will keep looking at what is available. I will post a list of things we think that we want and see where that takes us also. If nothing else this thread may help some other people think about their needs vs wants to help them decide what they may or may not want for their toy hauler! :d

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is something else to look for that we didnot even think about. Check to see if there is a heat vent in the washroom. Ours does not have one, The old trailer we had this was the warmest place and everything could be hung to dry. Also if the garage has heat. Ours has lots of airconditioning vents but not enough heat for alberta

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for yet again for another good tip Mudboy!

I mentioned this to my wife and she thought it was a good idea to have a heat vent in the bathroom. Maybe you can modify yours and put another vent in the bathroom? So you are saying your garage does not have enough heat vents to make it comfotable? Or is your whole trailer not warm enough for Alberta weather?

Here in Alberta we have to take advantage of the spring and fall months for quading so I understand the need for a comfortable RV! Many of the places we love are in the mountains and foothills so the seasons are even shorter before the snow flies. We don't let a little bit of snow stop us from having fun but it is sure nice to be warm at night!

Keep up the great input everyone! Thanks again!

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole trailer is comfortable. If we were to leave the sliding door open to the back then it would heat up. We usually do not do that. I have a little propane heater that I sometimes fire up just to take the chill off. I beleive in 2010 that some manufactures now have the heat vent in the washroom (I remeber seeing one manufacture advertise this as a bonous. not sure which one it was). It would not be hard at all to do. But easier to just leave the door opened.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best toyhauler out there is one that is paid for!!:d

I hear you there! Right now my red neck toy hauler is paid for. Taking out a loan for one of these new toyhaulers is like getting a second mortgage!

This is another reason we are still looking. It takes some time to save up that much cash. Also when you have cash you can usually find or negotiate better deals. So in the mean time we are learning more about what we think we will want in one.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still looking at toy haulers. I was asking about on demand hot water heaters at one dealership. I wondered why none of the toy haulers have one. They take up less space and are more efficient on fuel...perfect for RVs of all kids. They must cost too much.

I was also wondering why they could not use a solar water heater. I have one of the small backpack solar showers and it works great. The roof of a toy hauler would provide a perfect place to heat up or even preheat some water. Just pump it up top and let gravity feed it back to the water system. I might have to work more on this idea. One could use a water bed bladder (smaller one) for the heater and it would be easy to roll up for travel.

I was thinking of trying to build a small wind powered generator to help charge the batteries also. Just trying to find a good source for a small DC motor for this project. Someone mentioned to go and buy an old VCR as they had DC motors in them. Using wind and solar energy is a hobby that I hope to pursue more in the future.

It is sure nice to see more people start to think about using free alternative energy sources...even while out camping.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as far as the pressure washer option we have one and i wouldnt bother with that they use alot of water make a mess around the trailer what we have done instead was purchase a 1" waterpump and rigged it up with a fire nozzle it does not make the toys shiny before loading but washes the mud and skeg out incrediblyjust leaves that dirty film which if u wipe with a rag and rinse is gone the pump is a subaru lightweight it only weighs about 12 lbs it has a little weed wacker sized motor and cost @ $300 there is always a creek or pond somewhere close by as a watersource. this pump gives u the volume and ample pressure to wash the ugly off your toys and is much quicker than a pressure washer as well as easier on the machies ie electrical ,seals bearings etc as you do not need the high pressure when you have the volume to sweep the mud out.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best toyhauler out there is one that is paid for!!:d

Bingo!! I think the biggest thing to consider is affordability. It would be great to have washer/dryer combos, teak furniture, blah, blah, blah, but if a person ends up having to finance all this stuff, it takes the fun right out of it. We looked for the right toyhauler for quite some time too. We ended up buying a used 40' KZ sportsman. Didnt have all the bells and whistles, like a power awning and central vac, but it has everything I actually need, and I didn't have to finance it. Allthough it's been beat to death, the subject of the tow vehicle is a big consideration. I pull mine with a Freightliner FL 60, and fully loaded with 125 gallons of water, 3 quads, and a 6x6 Ranger, I am almost 34,000lbs. I wouldn't even consider anything smaller than a 1 ton dually. If you get into a cross wind or some sticky situation, it wouldn't take much for that big ol trailer to treat a srw pickup like a bitch.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I saw that some have electric awnings that will close if it gets too windy. I wonder if they will close if it starts snowing! lol Which brings up a question. Do the slide outs need the awnings over them? Are they there to protect the slide out or keep the elements out or both?

Those electric awnings I wouldn't trust too much, Out at BVJ last summer and the summer before and seen many that did not close. Especially this last year many of them were ripped right off. The owners wern't too impressed.

And the awnings on the slide outs are a must. If not you will will find water up there on the roof, when you close the slide out you wont even know untill you drive away and reopen the slide and you will find water in your trailer. Most of the higher end units allready have them if not you can add them quite easily, there sold at most RV dealers.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went out quading down in the Crowsnest area this weekend. My brother and his family had a campsite saved for us at the McGillivray staging area.

There were many different types of toy haulers there. The next day when we went out for a ride we saw that the amount of toy haulers had more than doubled! There was some racing going on we found out and that is why all the camping areas were more full than usuall. It was nice to see so many people out enjoying motor sports.

We had a great time meeting people and riding as much as we could. We found snow on many trails and a couple of trails we had to turn around because of snow and ice blocked our way. The local quad squad has repaired many of the more popular trials which made it a lot eaiser for one to take their family out one some very nice trail loops. I commend them for their efforts! It was nice to see my young nephews not have to negotiate huge mud bogs with their 70cc and 125cc bikes.

We did 72 miles the first day going to an old coal mine and exploring on the way back to McGillivray. It was interesting and fun blasting around the old mine. I read it was closed back in 1903 shortly after the town of Frank (and the main rail line for shipping the coal) was buried when the mountain collapsed into the valley. They must have been close to being mined out or you would think that they would have reopened it sometime uring the last 100 years. Anyway, it is a cool place to go if you get a chance. Just a note to try and be careful untill you scope the place out. It is an old mine site so there are many things that can be extremely dangerous if you go the wrong way or hit some old machinery for instance.

The trail in is pretty straight forward...lots of switch backs and many landings if you want to rest or take pictures. I think we got up to just about 6900 feet where they had finished the strip mine. Next time we go there I want to do some more exploring of the old mine site and also take some more pictures from the top of the mine.

After tenting the past few days in the rain we sure want to get a toy hauler even more. I guess I have to keep saving!

I hope everyone else had as much fun as we did for the Canada Day weekend!

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Attached are a couple pics of our Inferno, We just did a Nice holiday through BC with it, its nice to be fully contained so if you don't make it to a campsite and stay a few nights in parking lots along the way you don't have to worry about Power water or sewer. Also nice that is winterized (So when you stay overnight in Blue River on July 1st you can handle the 0 degree weather)

Attachments

• Inferno 1.jpg
    Inferno 1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Inferno 4.jpg
    Inferno 4.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 150

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could pull the trigger on a cyclone 3010 or road warrior 305. The fuzion 322 seems good too. Best price I can find is $38 000 us. Anybody found better? If any Alberta dealers here got one they will sell for $43000 let me know.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
drove to salt lake city to pick up the in laws cyclone, saved like 17k even after exchange, gst and going there and back....

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Road Warrior 305 is on its way from Michigan, couldnt get a shop in Alberta to even deal.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you there! Right now my red neck toy hauler is paid for. Taking out a loan for one of these new toyhaulers is like getting a second mortgage!

This is another reason we are still looking. It takes some time to save up that much cash. Also when you have cash you can usually find or negotiate better deals. So in the mean time we are learning more about what we think we will want in one.

Check out the states for prices!! Id like to support the local dealers but Ive bought my last 2 haulers from the states, and saving $10000-15000 is well worth the drive.. This year ive been looking at a cyclone and the dealer here was still $10000 higher after dickering!! They keep gouging us on the price I keep going south!!

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I went looking at new and some used toy haulers I did not find any decent deals. Most of them are priced at 20-50% more than prices at US sales outlets. I believe that it just too much for us to justify spending.

My father went straight to the manufacturer to purchase a Prowler holiday trailer for our family back in 1979. He told me that even after exchange on the dollar, duty and ALL costs involved to travel and get it (including a week holiday for the whole family) the he saved just over 10,000 dollars over purchasing the exact same unit from a Calgary dealer. My mom was able to sell the trailer 5 years later for what they paid for it.

What dealership is a good one to deal with down in Salt Lake city? Anyone find any deals in Spokane?

Sounds like I will be shopping in the states. I could use a good holiday at some point!

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On most rv forums even the people from the States are buying from Indiana trailer dealers or Michigan or Ohio.Check out Holman RV or All Seasons rv. These are two that I found to have the best deals. They start their pricing $15000 lower than MSRP.Red Deer dealers start $15000 more than MSRP.Had an Alberta dealer yesterday tell me that my trailer will probably blow up from the states because they wont PDI it properly. Ill take my chances and yah they wouldnt come close on same unit.

Top Bottom