Belt vs Chain

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys I have searched this all morning, and just keep finding a bunch of stupid answers like normal, and no real evidence. All I am looking for is a simple answer from someone who has a belt drive on an etec turbo? I have had my chain break twice now, and eevrything I have seen about belts just make so much sense but I want to hear from someone personally before I spend $1000 on one. Thanks!

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a one, but I doo ride with a friend thats riding a tss turbo etec 174. he's had zero issues with the belt drive so far (c3). After 2 broken chains I would be changing out to a belt drive without a second thought. (and carrying 2 spare belts with me).

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a c3 belt drive on my 880. Did it improve performance.... Not really sure but it didn't hurt and when set up right reliability was never a issue. If I broke my chain in my t3 I would go belt drive before replacing the chain case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had two belt drives over last 5 years. One on a 174 turbo and another on a 880... Yes the belt could be lighter and give a bit more performance from less rotating mass..

have broke a few belts on belt drive, also blew out bottom gear splines, and took out top coupler on drive, up graded belt to 38mm wide from 35, it fit pulleys better and it seamed to fix belt breaking problem.. Also found that I needed a 27 top pulley to prevent belt from jumping cogs and run belt fairly tight

on the latest 15 t3 174 I kepted the chain in it, but replace it yearly and so far no problems.. Not sure unless I was doing a full light weight project that I would do it again.. If it's under warrenty let brp cover it

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big bored 2014 xm. 174x3". 3500 km on original belt. The biggest thing is setting the tension up. Basically the first day of breaking in the belt non stop checking on the belt. I never adjusted tension after the fist day. I'm Still on the first belt and I jump rip giver on this sled. It's a c3 set up and I'm impressed how tough it is.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^
Same as Drew562
Been running one of the first proto types from c3 and it's been great .
C3 was very good to deal with.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome guys, appreciate the advice. lucky enough both times i have not wrecked the case. just snapped the chain.

also every chain link was broken on the outside. weird.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a guy the weekend before Christmas on a 14 xm 174-3" running 10 lbs of boost with the c3 belt drive and he had 3000+ km with no belt issues.

Hydro

Reaction score
If you decide to go with belt drive, I've got a brand new C3 with 2 belts, 28 and 29 tooth top gear you can buy for $800.00. Let me know.

Top Bottom