Belt issues on the 850

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not surprised to hear about cranks failing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Alot of aftermarket guys like Neil at Boost It and Dave at Trygstad figure these may be the toughest cranks BRP has ever built in a 2 stroke. Why do you think this Caper?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of aftermarket guys like Neil at Boost It and Dave at Trygstad figure these may be the toughest cranks BRP has ever built in a 2 stroke. Why do you think this Caper?

Doesn't matter how tough the crank is if a possible oiling problem ?
Maybe BRP has the oil in the wrong areas?
Haha

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yep the cranks are built stout, they are correct. Just something I read on another forum and witnessed it myself.

Last edited:

KingCon

Reaction score
Found a little more possible information on the cranks. Guys told dealer that they noticed air bubbles in the line coming out of the reservoir. I wonder if with the new caps being I believe "pressurized" or something to that effect if it is not allowing oil to flow correctly and not getting the right amounts to the crank. I have watched all of BRP's videos on this motor and the crank design seems way smart. But if you cannot get oil to it, nothing is going to hold up.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found a little more possible information on the cranks. Guys told dealer that they noticed air bubbles in the line coming out of the reservoir. I wonder if with the new caps being I believe "pressurized" or something to that effect if it is not allowing oil to flow correctly and not getting the right amounts to the crank. I have watched all of BRP's videos on this motor and the crank design seems way smart. But if you cannot get oil to it, nothing is going to hold up.

You got er!

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just went back 3 weeks on BRP community on Bossweb. Not one crank down mentioned by one dealer in North America or Europe. If its happening the dealer techs haven't said a thing yet. And there is some real complainers on there. Lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there will be a fix released for the pipe sensor's coming out right after Christmas.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They spray anti corrosion oil on metal parts because not every crate makes the journey to the dealer and is opened up and delivered to a customer. I know dealers of all brands that have 3 year olds piled up in there yards still. What do you think they will look like without that type of a preventative measure? I don't think your bag is gonna cut it.
Doing this to a snowcheck or a first year model is dumb. Those sleds for sure won't sit for a year. Doo needs to smarten up.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doing this to a snowcheck or a first year model is dumb. Those sleds for sure won't sit for a year. Doo needs to smarten up.

Dealers get paid for PDI, some musta dropped the ball a bit there also I would think.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an update. My whole group is riding 850 i think we have 10 in the.group. everyone blown at least 1 belt most are on number 3. And one guy had his chaincase blow on his 2nd day riding.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put 80km on the sled today at Chappel, clicker 1 and sled constant at 8000.
Dropped the belt full height of top cogs on belt in one day of use. Black dust every where.

Yes I cleaned the clutches.
Yes the foam and felt are gone.
Yes the shroud back bottom is clipped out
Yes it was run nicely to top of trail for some decent break in.
Yes it got flogged after that.
Yes there is melted belt on the primary faces

No snow was not found in the clutch shroud
No the clutches did not every seem crazy hot.
No this belt is not gonna last at this rate of wear.
No I am not impressed

I don't think any whopala whopala ra ra doo lets clean our clutches videos are gonna fix the issue.
Anybody that is a dealer or dealer associate on this site better be using their voice to doo down east....summit sales are gonna plummet.

I'll use the problem thread to discuss why the other 850 got towed home.

Last edited:

Jgibos

Reaction score
Dropped the belt full height of top cogs on belt in one day of use. Black dust every where.

No I am not impressed

I don't think any whopala whopala ra ra doo lets clean our clutches videos are gonna fix the issue.
Anybody that is a dealer or dealer associate on this site better be using their voice to doo down east....summit sales are gonna plummet.

Summit sales are going to plummet. Im switching brands after my experiences with the 850. I'll take weak a arms on an axys over broken bulkheads and blown belts on the 850. Sick of it. 17000 dollar piece of ****.

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree, axys with the 4yr warranty sounds really darn good right now. And they are no slouch

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No I am not impressed

make sure the "Black dust" is not your clutch wearing into your cover, since you cut the back piece out it moves around more..seen this on a couple sleds..the black dust was beltguard

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summit sales are going to plummet. Im switching brands after my experiences with the 850. I'll take weak a arms on an axys over broken bulkheads and blown belts on the 850. Sick of it. 17000 dollar piece of ****.
Well I guess u could sit at the bottom with the Axys and take pics of the 850s up top

sent while drinking tea's

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this is more widespread than we think it is then BRP needs to make it right and soon. Funny how peeps threaten to jump to flavor of the day though? Skidoo was a huge beneficiary of Polaris and there engine woes and broken driveshafts and now you go back. Lol. We saw this in 07-08 with our engine and axle issues as well. The manufacturers need to add another year of testing and test 1 year at least on the production model as well instead of just the proto's IMO. Paying $16000-$17000 is ridiculous for something that the consumer is not happy with. The thing I find confusing is why only a certain segment is having these belt issues? That is what puzzles me.

Top Bottom