BCA Float 30 problem

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant view the other posts. but thanks for the post. ive told a few people to stay away from the BCA for same reasons from what ive seen on other forums.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the post from snowest

This was posted on a Mtn guide information sharing forum.
the name of the posting guide and the airbag manufacturer were omitted.

An Airbag Story

I got this story firsthand over the phone from a well known, experienced (35yrs), high performance snowmobiler. I apologize if I have made any errors, but I believe that the gist of the story is true to what I heard.

The group was riding in an alpine'ish feature last weekend. One man was near the top of a slope and blew a belt. The others assumed he had hit a rock and eventually his father rode up to help. The father had engine failure and was stuck lower on the slope. The second son rode up to help and reached his brother. A third rider went to help the father. One rider stayed behind. The slope fractured above the two brothers who were on foot at that moment and they immediately reached for their airbags.(they have worn an airbag for the past 3 winters). Both brothers (big, strong boys) pulled the airbags when the saw the crack appear and they failed to inflate. One brother also got his hand on the handle a second time during his ride and again it didn't inflate. The father was caught while on his sled and he pulled the handle on his bag and it didn't inflate.

One brother was buried with an arm out. His brother was buried to his waist, got himself out and his brother out. The father and his helper ended up on the surface lower down the slope. The rider at the bottom was not involved in the avalanche.

When they got to the parking lot they tried, again, to pull two bags. The father was unable to pull the handle with one hand. With two hands and hard yanking, he was able to get the bag to inflate. The second bag, belonging to the rider who stayed below, which had not been pulled on in the accident, inflated easily. The other two bags that failed to inflate were sent back to the manufacturer without any further fiddling.
I was told the 3 bags that didn't inflate in the accident were new this season and had been frequently and recently wet and snowy. The one that inflated easily had been dry before the day began.

What a story! I am sure glad it had a happy ending.

Anyways I posted this because I thought that it was important to remind folks and myself to test and maintain our equipment such as airbags and transceivers regularly. Perhaps check your airbag manufacturers web site to see what they recommend for maintenance as well as any updates or recalls.
I recently pulled my airbag to test it and it sure did give me peace of mind when it inflated. (I had previously gone 2 years without ever pulling it.)
Also I believe that it's important to make good sound decisions on how, when and where we ride based on avalanche conditions not on the safety equipment we use. On occasion I have found myself justifying (in my mind) riding a certain slope in uncertain conditions because I wear an airbag. Not smart.

Hope this helps.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hubby and I both have these bags....kind of an uncomfortable feeling to know if there is a problem with inflation when you need it!! Anyways I saw this on Mike Duffy's site on Facebook. I just wish we didn't have to pay the extra fees associated with the problem. This should be like a recall available to the consumer at no extra charge!!

"Based on valuable feedback and comments from end users, BCA has decided to decrease the pull forces necessary to deploy our airbags. We will offer an “Easy Pull Kit” immediately to those interested, as well as a trigger handle retrofit kit available this spring.

The Easy Pull Kit includes a trigger lock pin and valve stem with new geometry that decreases the pull forces necessary to activate the Float 30 airbag. Consumers can order this from BCA for $20 (our cost) plus shipping. The parts can easily be replaced by the user after discharging the compressed air from your Float 30 cylinder. Instructions will be included and an accompanying video will soon be provided on BCA’s Float airbag page: .

This spring, we will also offer a trigger handle upgrade, replacing the existing Float 30 T-grip with the cone-shaped design that will be included on our 2011-12 Float 18, Float 30, and Float 36 airbags. This new trigger handle provides a more stable and user-friendly target for deploying the airbag. It will remain in the right shoulder strap, but will be easier to pull with either the left or right hand. The cost for this upgrade has not been determined and it will require the consumer to return his or her Float 30 to BCA. We will make an announcement when the trigger kits are available.

BCA recommends always performing a practice deployment after purchasing your Float airbag pack. This will ensure that you are familiar with the system’s operation and the pull forces required to activate it. To order your Easy Pull Kit, please contact BCA at (303)417-1345 or info@backcountryaccess.com."

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had alot of discussions with BCA in regards to the sitution that was discussed in the first post. What was told to BCA by the guys that were involved in it was one of the boys didn't pull his because he seemed to have a hard time grabbin the t-handle. What they have found is that some of the canister when refilled, if the o-ring doesn't sit just right that it can increase the pull force required to deploy the bag. They are originally setup to be set off with approx 30lb pull force, so that they wont go off by accident. Which i have personally witnessed other bags do. One guy i watched jump of the ramp of his deck and didn't catch the ripcord anything but when he landed on the ground his bag deployed. What BCA is doing is bringing out a deal that can be installed to reduce the pull force required to deploy bag. BCA is very good at standing behind tehre product and produce a first class product in my opinion. Every single bag is tested at the factory before they are packaged for sale and if they even have thee slightest hint of something not being right or even a hair slow to deploy or hard to pull it doesn't get sent out. BCA and the people that were actually involved in the incident have been in constant contact to figure out exactly what happened with the bags and theyare being inspected by BCa to get to the bottom of what happened with the bags to see if it was an o-ring seating issue when the canisters were last filled or what the cause of the issue was.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen, nice to see that you are looking into the problem. Props to you for sure. There needs to be more proactive dealers like yourself actually contacting companies and finding out what can be done to improve products. Thanks so much!! :perfect10::perfect10:

BCA Canada

Reaction score
Website
www.backcountryaccess.com
BCA has found that a minority of cylinders display the "harder pull' situation...this is why this is not considered to be a 'recall' and the Easy Pull kit is an option for those that do have a slightly tougher pull than others. BCA has the packs in question and are analyzing the issues surrounding this incident, with the cooperation and input of the sledders involved. None of these airbags had been deployed in the field previously, so had not been refilled. But all cylinders are tested before leaving BCA to ensure they are deployable. The new geometry of the pins in the cylinder will ensure that a more gentle pull will always deploy the airbag.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
Good day folks. Just thought we would put our little 2 cents in. We just bought a float 30 for our son. Due to the fact of him and i switching my abs bag back and forth. Just gets to suck after a while of riding. Well we did the test fire this evening and the bloody thing wouldn't fire. So i thought i'd check the forums to see if there is an off chance that somebody else has had problems. Low and behold look what i found. Then while reading. Bca says it will not be a recall. We are to pay to get the thing working. I'am most likely wrong here. But if a person is paying $700 plus dollars for a possible life saving device. Shouldn't it be working right when you purchase it? This bag is also dry and at room tempature when tryed. Could this be a bigger problem? Not trying to stir the pot. I just want my kids equipment to be as dependeble as mine has been.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run two BCA Packs for our work team and have tested both and both worked just fine. The handle is a hard pull and I appreciate that as I do not want to misfire while working on the mountain. A quick hard short pull is the way to go

BCA has been a great inovator and supporter within our sport and Im certain that any issues will be resolved asap. Things like beacon training parks, trailhead checkers etc all increase the safety of our sport.

Good on em. Ill keep wearing my Float 30 in confindence.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day folks. Just thought we would put our little 2 cents in. We just bought a float 30 for our son. Due to the fact of him and i switching my abs bag back and forth. Just gets to suck after a while of riding. Well we did the test fire this evening and the bloody thing wouldn't fire. So i thought i'd check the forums to see if there is an off chance that somebody else has had problems. Low and behold look what i found. Then while reading. Bca says it will not be a recall. We are to pay to get the thing working. I'am most likely wrong here. But if a person is paying $700 plus dollars for a possible life saving device. Shouldn't it be working right when you purchase it? This bag is also dry and at room tempature when tryed. Could this be a bigger problem? Not trying to stir the pot. I just want my kids equipment to be as dependeble as mine has been.

glad i went with snow pluse

BCA Canada

Reaction score
Website
www.backcountryaccess.com
Great Pumpkin, have you notified BCA directly of this issue? Please call 1-800-670-8735 and select '0' for customer service. We can walk you thru the assembly of the pack and clarify any issues. Also, there is a video on our website Backcountry Access - Welcome to Backcountry Access under Products, Float 30 showing specific assembly instructions. Please note that the packs in question in the noted incident did deploy when we tested them....but one was a definite stiff pull and another was slightly stiff. Again, the easy pull option is for those that want to modify the pull ...some prefer the stiff pull so to avoid accidental deployments. If there is an issue of a faulty cylinder or any other manufacturing issue, we will warranty and replace.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a BCA bag and couldn't be happier with it. It is one of the origanals and works fine. I blow it off twice a season to test and make sure it holds air. Has worked fine every time.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
Great Pumpkin, have you notified BCA directly of this issue? Please call 1-800-670-8735 and select '0' for customer service. We can walk you thru the assembly of the pack and clarify any issues. Also, there is a video on our website Backcountry Access - Welcome to Backcountry Access under Products, Float 30 showing specific assembly instructions. Please note that the packs in question in the noted incident did deploy when we tested them....but one was a definite stiff pull and another was slightly stiff. Again, the easy pull option is for those that want to modify the pull ...some prefer the stiff pull so to avoid accidental deployments. If there is an issue of a faulty cylinder or any other manufacturing issue, we will warranty and replace.

We have actually spoke with the bca in the states. A gentleman named Alex and one other fellow. Who's name i can't remember. They both acknoldged the problem, and seem to be very diligent in rectifing. Parts are on way to repair problem. Once we have replaced the assembly as per instructions. We will try again and post results. Sorry about poor spelling. Not my strong suit!

dycker

Reaction score
I have bought one of these packs and am satisfied with it. It is key to blow them off a once per year and a requirement to blow off when brand new. The dealer which I purchased mine from said that it will engage easier the more times you pull the cord. I'm not sure how accurate this is though.

I have a BCA bag and couldn't be happier with it. It is one of the origanals and works fine. I blow it off twice a season to test and make sure it holds air. Has worked fine every time.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I too have a (two) BCA Float 30 (1st generation) and had a problem the first time I attempted to deploy it. In my excitement to show it off I found that I had not hooked up the trigger threads to the canister correctly (my error but I will say it's a tricky hook up).
After reviewing the instructions and hooking it up correctly the bag fires great - it takes a "Very Solid" pull to get it to deploy, but deploy it did.

I have test deployed both bags numerous times and never had a problem.
I will continue to use my Float 30 bags with confidence.

Here are some photos I took of the girls setting off the Float bags in Saskatoon ant the Snowmobile show.

Attachments

• IMG_5917.jpg
    IMG_5917.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_5925.jpg
    IMG_5925.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_5940.jpg
    IMG_5940.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 355

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too have a (two) BCA Float 30 (1st generation) and had a problem the first time I attempted to deploy it. In my excitement to show it off I found that I had not hooked up the trigger threads to the canister correctly (my error but I will say it's a tricky hook up).
After reviewing the instructions and hooking it up correctly the bag fires great - it takes a "Very Solid" pull to get it to deploy, but deploy it did.

I have test deployed both bags numerous times and never had a problem.
I will continue to use my Float 30 bags with confidence.

Here are some photos I took of the girls setting off the Float bags in Saskatoon ant the Snowmobile show.

Some nice bags there:d

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
The first time i hooked up my canister to the trigger i threaded the peice over the threads and totally didnt see the small threads on the inside of the trigger. A simple miss like that could cost someone there life. By simply reading the instructions i new right away what my problem was. The first time iw as excited just to get my bag and ride.

Hangfire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hngfiretraining.com
most dealers that sell them "should" be able to fill them, but I have not seen many that can. Scuba shops can do it, fire departments can sometimes do it, paintball shops.

Wildreaper

Reaction score
Sure am glad I spent the extra money and got a system that is proven. Some times you get what you pay for.
Just my 2 cents:confused::confused:

Top Bottom