Bad Kitty, Bad! BRP files lawsuit against Cat.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Come on now guys... Its getting pretty hard to make sleds so different now-a-days.... I mean... I think they gave it an honest shot at being original this year!

Attachments

• catcopy.jpg
    catcopy.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 424

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on now guys... Its getting pretty hard to make sleds so different now-a-days.... I mean... I think they gave it an honest shot at being original this year!

it says cat on it so it musst be a cat!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno what the fuss is about.... It's not like cat took a rev chasis, stripped everything out of it, slapped an 800ho engine in it, and a cat sticker, and shot it out the production line. I said the same thing when I got on my new proclimb, almost felt like a rev to an extent, but still...it's not. In no way. Maybe cat couldn't out-engineer brP, maybe they did use some of brps "ideas", or similar to it, who cares. Cat still has the best power plant on the market. Of course all the doo guys are gonna come out of the woodwork on this one and I'm sure us cat guys won't hear the end of it. I can see this thread getting locked out before this night is over lol...

it doesnt have anything to do with how it looks really. if they created a peice of the frame that has the same dimensions and angles that brp had a patent on its as simple as that. i dont think anyone on here actually has anything to worry about or care about for that matter as i dont know anyone thats picked up an F800....

to add to your list of things the cat guys are never going to hear the end of..

-this
-tiny bubbles
-rivets
-shocks
-track
-weight
-frogskinz
-build quality
-km 1 on the trail
- got any fuel?
-got any belts?
- the drunk guy that was putting fox float 1 stickers on fox float 2 shocks
- after this lawsuit. 800 series frame replacement recall

ahh its almost friday

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like only flatland sleds effected.

pretty typical. get 5 years behind..play catchup for 4 years. year 5 still cant do it so just copy 4 year old technology! then it starts all over again.
from a couple articles I have read, cat has infringed on BRP patents as far back as 2007. BRP is claiming cat has used technology closely mimicking as many as 5 BRP patents, 4 frame design and the rider positioning patent. this sounds like more than something that can be settled with a simple technology exchange, like back in '01 when 'doo infringed on polaris' rear arm coupling patent and agreed to let poo use RER.....

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is too funny !! Ya, it was innovative when BRP got sued for copying Simmons skis and for copying Poo's rear suspension (at least us Poo boys got electronic reverse out of that settlement). What goes around, comes around !! Come to think of it, ETECH wasn't even a BRP innovation. They got that by buying OMC. Good thing, otherwise they likely would've copied that as well. LMFAO !!!!

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is too funny !! Ya, it was innovative when BRP got sued for copying Simmons skis and for copying Poo's rear suspension (at least us Poo boys got electronic reverse out of that settlement). What goes around, comes around !!

skis....frame....kind of a difference there. little easier to swap out! dont need to destroy the sled LOL.

EITHER WAY simmons skis are junk why would brp copy that crap.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason why were going to hear about that every time you guys pop up is cuz it's a brand new chasis, be it a copy cat or not. I'm sure we've gone thru this on other threads, every new production sled has its quirks.... Need I dig up old doo threads?? Old poo threads?? Come on. We all jump on the next guys back whenever we can, but always tend to forget that the very sled you ride had lots of its own problems as wel in its day, some minor, some major.. Im not bothered with it cus my proclimb is running flawlessly, I've already laid some beat downs on brp and poo's. So I'm gonna sit back, read these threads, stock up on some comments I'm sure to read, then, it brp does actually come out with a new sled, guess what.... :) We'll be waiting for you guys to moan, bitch, whine and complain about their problems as well. I'm not having a pissing contest with anyone here, I'm just saying. I could care less what happens, my sleds already in my garage, paid for.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is too funny !! Ya, it was innovative when BRP got sued for copying Simmons skis and for copying Poo's rear suspension (at least us Poo boys got electronic reverse out of that settlement). What goes around, comes around !! Come to think of it, ETECH wasn't even a BRP innovation. They got that by buying OMC. Good thing, otherwise they likely would've copied that as well. LMFAO !!!!

They bought OMC so they could save 2 strokes due to the EPA restrictions for 2012 and next next few years. The "Etec" technology actually came from Ficht. Buying the rights to something legally is not an patent infringement.

Cat will be hard pressed to have a 2-stroke in a few years unless they go direct injection and they won't be developing that on their own.

Polaris meets current EPA regs but likely won't in 2 years, then what? No big deal they will just reduce the power output again.

Maxwell - they only list one cat model but its worded as "including but not limited to the 2012 model year F 800 Sno Pro" being that they likley based the rest of their model line from the SnoPro, it includes all models with simular design.

Obviously there is specific word on the patents that BRP feels Cat is using. If it weren't for patents and money grabbing we would all likely be riding some very unique and advanced sleds, but everyone is restricted as to what they can build.

Last edited:

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rider forward deal and pyramid chassis was all BRP obviously but I don't see how that can be patented. When exactly is the rider considered 'forward'. At some point this is going to be brought before the judge, who doesn't ride sleds, and he's going to tell BRP that he just doesn't effin get why they think 2 snowmobiles aren't both allowed to look like snowmobiles.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all it takes it for cat to have something that is exactly the same measurment or angle as what brp has on the patent and they are in the wrong ... if cat would have changed everything just enough there would be no issue but clearly something is to close to what the doo has

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all it takes it for cat to have something that is exactly the same measurment or angle as what brp has on the patent and they are in the wrong ... if cat would have changed everything just enough there would be no issue but clearly something is to close to what the doo has

exactly what i think aswell

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do the new cats feel like the old revs?? i havent ridden either in the hills ??

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres a link to the actual patent

Sounds like a patent for "The Snowmobile" if you ask me.

Patent

"A frame assembly is described including a tunnel, an engine cradle disposed forward of the tunnel and connected thereto, and a sub-frame disposed forward of the engine cradle and connected thereto. A forward support assembly extends upwardly from the subframe. An upper column extends upwardly from the engine cradle to connect with the forward support assembly. A rear brace assembly extends upwardly from the tunnel to connect with the forward support assembly and the upper column. In one embodiment, the frame assembly further includes an engine disposed in the engine cradle. An endless track is operatively connected to the engine and disposed beneath the tunnel for propulsion. A pair of skis is operatively connected to a steering device for steering. In another embodiment, the frame assembly further includes an engine disposed in the engine cradle. A rear wheel is operatively connected to the engine and disposed beneath the tunnel for propulsion, and two front wheels are operatively connected to a steering device for steering. "

Top Bottom