Bad Kitty, Bad! BRP files lawsuit against Cat.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"VALCOURT, QC, Dec. 15, 2011 /CNW Telbec/ - Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP), manufacturer of Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, today filed lawsuits in Canada and the United States claiming that Arctic Cat has infringed various Canadian and American patents for the revolutionary REV platform used in BRP's lines of snowmobiles. BRP claims in documents filed in the Federal Court of Canada and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois that Arctic Cat knowingly used certain innovations protected by BRP's patents, without permission. BRP is requesting that Arctic Cat halt production of the infringing models, that it destroy those in stock, and is seeking monetary compensation for the infringement. "In recent years we have seen our competitors attempt to copy an increasing number of our inventions and designs," said Martin Langelier, vice-president, General Counsel and Secretary. "Innovation being at the core of BRP's strategy, we will not tolerate infringement of our intellectual property rights. We are, as a result, taking legal action to protect them." In 2002, BRP revolutionized the snowmobile industry with the introduction of a new platform, the REV chassis. This new chassis allowed the company's Ski-Doo brand to regain the number one position in the industry, a lead it has since maintained. Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP), a privately held company, is a world leader in the design, development, manufacturing, distribution and marketing of motorised recreational vehicles. Its portfolio of brands and products includes: Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, Sea-Doo watercraft and boats, Evinrude and Johnsonoutboard engines, Can-Am all-terrain and side-by-side vehicles and roadsters, as well as Rotax engines. BRP products are distributed in more than 100 countries."

I found a link to the actual law suit and copy rights :

http://www.scribd.com/doc/75789652/Bombardier-Recreational-Products-et-al-v-Arctic-Cat-et-al

Last edited:

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh oh somebody's in trouble! I wonder if it has to do with the perimeter frame?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahahahahahaha

Well, what does Maxwell have to say about this?

Personally, I find it halarious. Shitter being the raised costs of sleds if this goes through.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt worry too much, lawsuits and $hit like this happens constantly. Itll be tied up in the courts till we re old, and fer u old guys...till ur 6 ft down.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will be a cash settelment outside the court room.Discussion between the two and an agreement to exchange some
R&D with each other.Just like GM and Chrylser have,GM and Honda, etc.....No big deal.I'm sure Actic Cat has something BRP
would like to have.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will be a cash settelment outside the court room.Discussion between the two and an agreement to exchange some
R&D with each other.Just like GM and Chrylser have,GM and Honda, etc.....No big deal.I'm sure Actic Cat has something BRP
would like to have.

Diamond drives and 15" wide tracks please!!!! :rolleyes:

confused?

Reaction score
so if they win cat will destroy all their procross chassis meaning if i jump on a copy cat soon then it will be super rare.... jk yamaha is the way to go

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno what the fuss is about.... It's not like cat took a rev chasis, stripped everything out of it, slapped an 800ho engine in it, and a cat sticker, and shot it out the production line. I said the same thing when I got on my new proclimb, almost felt like a rev to an extent, but still...it's not. In no way. Maybe cat couldn't out-engineer brP, maybe they did use some of brps "ideas", or similar to it, who cares. Cat still has the best power plant on the market. Of course all the doo guys are gonna come out of the woodwork on this one and I'm sure us cat guys won't hear the end of it. I can see this thread getting locked out before this night is over lol...

Top Bottom