Explosion at BRP Quebec

gopherchoker

Reaction score
My prayers go out to the two injured men. Sleds mean squat when human life is involved

Explosion at BRP plant in Valcourt: two men badly burned

MONTREAL — Sûreté du Québec officers patrolling in the Eastern Townships town of Valcourt witnessed a ball of fire at the Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) plant early Friday.

An explosion ripped through the research centre on St. Joseph St. at 12:20 a.m. and two men staggered out on their own power.

They were both badly burned and taken to the burn unit of Enfant Jésus hospital in Quebec City and placed in a medically induced coma.

The injured men are a 38-year-old employee of BRP and a 54-year-old security guard.

Quebec’s workplace health and safety board, the CSST, and the SQ are both involved in an investigation of the explosion, but SQ spokesperson Bruno Beaulieu said that it appears the explosion and subsequent fire came from the laboratory of the research centre and was accidental rather than criminal in nature.

The BRP plant is where Ski-Doos, Sea-Doos and Can-Am roadsters are manufactured. The plant is also home to research and development.

Valcourt is the birthplace of Joseph-Armand Bombardier, the inventor and entrepreneur who laid the foundations of Bombardier Inc. In addition to the BRP plant, there is a museum in the town dedicated to the Bombardier family and the history of the iconic snowmobile that begat the multinational firm. In 2003 BRP was created as a separate entity and spun off from Bombardier.

The Bombardier name is now synonymous with aerospace and transportation. The company employs 65,000 staff and is a giant in rail technology (trains and subway cars) and passenger aircraft.

asutherland@montrealgazette.com

gopherchoker

Reaction score
From another site, as far as I know mine hasn't been shipped yet

I just heard on the news that they are halting production for 4-8 weeks due to damages-which were in the main Doo production facility!!

looks like those whos' sleds have not been produced/shipped, will not receive them for a while.............

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just heard on the news that they are halting production for 4-8 weeks due to damages-which were in the main Doo production facility!!

looks like those whos' sleds have not been produced/shipped, will not receive them for a while.............

8 weeks is a long time.... could be some angry customers out there.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh oh. someone spiked the doolaid dispenser and they were probably under the influence of arctic cat ice vodka.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From another site, as far as I know mine hasn't been shipped yet

Post that article please, no point in causing alarm to folks that have not received their sled yet.
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The plant is also home to research and development.

A little too much Nitrous that time......

All kidding aside that plain sucks. They have a long battle ahead of them. I hope they get through it.

I also hope BRP learns from this experience. While we don't know exactly what happened I hope safe guards are put in place so it can never happen again.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap I heard about the explosion in Quebec but had no idea it was BRP. I'm sure most this years models are already built and packaged.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On Doo talk they said it won't interfere with sled delivery dates

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
picture of the damage to the plant

Attachments

• brp.jpg
    brp.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 356

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy ch!t !!! good thing it happened at 1230am not 1230pm !!! how many people would have been there then.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Polaris is Russian

Polaris is Russian for inside job

sent from my htc

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jus cause they produced the best mtn sled of 2013 was no reason for Poo and Cat to throw a monkey wrench into the cog works.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jus cause they produced the best mtn sled of 2013 was no reason for Poo and Cat to throw a monkey wrench into the cog works.

Doo produced 2013 sleds? I thought it was a urban legend. Lol Kind of like the Sasquatch, only a few said they saw one, but do they really exist. Oh the elusive xm, I wonder when I'll see my order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom