avy in corbin any info

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken...The yellow tack is NW of Barnes and Rain Gauge would be almost due East of barnes?? I think you're just reading the map upside down :D

This is why I drive and the wife reads the map. Lol.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Here it is. This is pretty close. I will add that this is for educational purposes only. RIP Steve.
View attachment 125254

I found the same location as you. I am wondering if they rounded the location down to two decimal places. If you go onto the east side of the ridge to the lake side it is still the Long and Lat given but in three decimal places.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The joy of GPS coordinates.... I deal with them all of the time, but when someone doesn't specify the mode they are using, or worse, uses the wrong indicators in the numbers, it can be tough. I ran into this years ago, when I was entering in the coordinates from the Revelstoke maps. They were using ddd mm.mmm format, but printed them on the map using ddd mm ss.s format. I will give you an example:

On the map they had "Turbo Hill - N50 59 86 W118 27 12". At first, I took this as the DDD MM SS.S format. After my GPS wouldn't enter the "86" in the seconds column, I realized that they should have printed as "Turbo Hill - N50 59.86 W118 27.12" and indicated it as DDD MM.M format. They could have also wrote it as "Turbo Hill - N50 59 51.6 W118 27 07.2", which would be the proper DDD MM SS.S format. I raised this issue, and was told they would fix it, but the next year, the maps were still the same. I haven't checked the maps again in years, so I'm not sure if it was ever straightened out. Below are the 3 different versions of the same coordinate:

Turbo Hill - N50.99767 W118.45200 DDD.DD format
Turbo Hill - N50 59.86 W118 27.12 DDD MM.M format
Turbo Hill - N50 59 51.6 W118 27 07.2 DDD MM SS.S format

Depending on whether the CAC meant "N49.27 W114.43", or "N49 27.0 W114 43.0", puts the location in 2 different places. The DDD.DD format puts it down by Castle, the DDD MM.M format puts it by Barnes Lake.

What it boils down to, is making sure you clarify which method you post coordinates, and use the proper formatting to match.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like so many things in life.....why do we need 3 (actually 4 if you add UTM) ways to do GPS co-ordinates. I have enough trouble figuring out one!

bcskier

Reaction score
Here are some observations by the Southern Rocky Avalanche techs on this incident:
Southern Rockies Avalanche observations March 14 « Fernietrails.com

My goal( by posting these links to our website) is to keep everyone informed by sharing info we get first hand.....and hopefully try to keep all back country users safe. First of all be safe but have fun that's what mountains are all about. :)

Ecape Time

Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers to the families, my experience with this kind of thing is so very life changing.... believe me, makes me shiver!!

Top Bottom