avy in corbin any info

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
catchme glad to hear you guys got back to the trucks ok! I was the buddy on the doo with ya really unfortunate about the cooler. Are you sure it was harvey from were the choppers were coming from it looked more like barnes/elliot area we were only 6-8 km's down the pipeline from tin shack when we seen the heli with the sleds coming out from the hills. sad day out there.

According to the coordinates from the CAC...it looks as though it was on the backside of the ridge NW of Barnes Lake. Not sure what area that is or how to access it...I'm more familiar with the Flathead/Harvey area.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Group of us were out along the pipeline today a ways down the pipeline from Wrangler's. Aside from some really loaded up cornices in Flathead, very tough to tell that conditionds are are treacherious as they are. Things seem very stable, but we know it's decieving. Be careful out there..couldn't see anything out there that's been sluffing or has slid.

Condolenceds to those involvec in this incident.

powderkeg

Reaction score
I was one of the guys caught in the slide.....it was a south facing slope, not a steep face and fairly well treed. obviously, the slide caught us totally by surprise and I will regret for the rest of my life my decision to take those guys back to this area. I have been sledding in the corbin area for 20 years and it is the first ( and last ) slide I will ever see. We ALL had experience in the backcountry, were prepared for the elements. We weren't being reckless and high marking in chutes or anything like that, we discussed what area's to play in and what area's to stay away from. all three of our sled's were destroyed and we will probably never go out again ( we never did find the third sled ). Steve only planned to get out a few times per year, he was a hard worker and he died doing what he loved. He left behind a beautiful family who miss him. I thought I would share this with you guys as I appreciate your comments and support for his family. An account has been set up to support Steve's family, please spread the word around for the support of his wife and his kids at any RBC " In Trust for the Hall Family " Accout #08259-003-515-667-4 any donation no matter how small will help. thanks

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I was one of the guys caught in the slide.....it was a south facing slope, not a steep face and fairly well treed. obviously, the slide caught us totally by surprise and I will regret for the rest of my life my decision to take those guys back to this area. I have been sledding in the corbin area for 20 years and it is the first ( and last ) slide I will ever see. We ALL had experience in the backcountry, were prepared for the elements. We weren't being reckless and high marking in chutes or anything like that, we discussed what area's to play in and what area's to stay away from. all three of our sled's were destroyed and we will probably never go out again ( we never did find the third sled ). Steve only planned to get out a few times per year, he was a hard worker and he died doing what he loved. He left behind a beautiful family who miss him. I thought I would share this with you guys as I appreciate your comments and support for his family. An account has been set up to support Steve's family, please spread the word around for the support of his wife and his kids at any RBC " In Trust for the Hall Family " Accout #08259-003-515-667-4 any donation no matter how small will help. thanks

Thank you for providing this info. My condolences to all involved. I ride the corbin area quite regularly so if you can provide some more info on where it happened it would be very appreciated. Also if your group would like any help trying to locate and recover the third sled I offer my assistance. I am heading to the bank today to make a contribution as I have a young family and this could happen to myself one day without warning.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you again for telling what happened and my condolences to the family and friends involved in this. i as well ride corbin a lot and would like to know a little more and were this happened. I will be heading to the bank as well with a contribution for this family

GRD

Reaction score

Thanks for the above post and the details of what happened. My condolences to the family, friends and all involved. Rest in peace Steve.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We were able to pull up the location on google earth based on the gps co-ordinates from the CAC report. It looks like it was behind Barnes lake in there.

Jan

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. My condolences go out to you and all family and friends affected by this accident.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were able to pull up the location on google earth based on the gps co-ordinates from the CAC report. It looks like it was behind Barnes lake in there.

Jan

I can only find the following co-ordinates on the CAC site - 49.27 114.43 which puts it closer to Castle than to Corbin. I'm assuming these aren't the full co-ordinates and the wrong location, please post what you have if they are different.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I can only find the following co-ordinates on the CAC site - 49.27 114.43 which puts it closer to Castle than to Corbin. I'm assuming these aren't the full co-ordinates and the wrong location, please post what you have if they are different.

I will get Larry to do that once he gets home tonight as he is the one who found them.

Jan

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolances to the family and friends of Steve.
I fail to understand the importance of questioning and trying to get the exact location of this unfortunate event. We all know it was in the Corbin area.
More information will come out as time passes by.
At this time I believe we should accept the information as it is, and allow the family and friends time grieve and heal from this terrible time in their life

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just talking to a guy I know that lives in the Crowsnest Pass who knows search and rescue and they told him it happened in Rainguage south of the Corbin Townsite.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolances to the family and friends of Steve.
I fail to understand the importance of questioning and trying to get the exact location of this unfortunate event. We all know it was in the Corbin area.
More information will come out as time passes by.
At this time I believe we should accept the information as it is, and allow the family and friends time grieve and heal from this terrible time in their life

I don't think any of us mean any harm by this. Judging by the questions being asked, people are trying to become educated on the exact area, aspect, terrain, temperatures etc...so that it will help in someone else's decision making process and possibly prevent another tragedy. Information gathering is a very important process in snow and avalanche analysis...which also helps people make more informed decisions:wtg:

Top Bottom