avy in corbin any info

K

Kavaleen

I was looking at the comments on the CBC News Net and people are sure have diareah of the mouth too bad their brains don't kick in fast enought to stop themselves.

Very sorry to hear about the sledder and condolences to his family and friends.

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the avy was along the pipeline, my neighbor here in Okotoks was in the group. He said they had their buddy dug out in about 5 minutes, but he suffered trauma in the trees and was killed during the slide. Sometimes it hits to close to home, my neighbor and I were riding together last weekend down there.My condolences to his family & his riding buddy's.Ride safe everyone, make it a round trip or stay home.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We unloaded at the tin shack @ 9:30 this morning and were back there @ 12:00 because of a rock through a cooler. Saw 2 choppers hauling sleds out. When we were loading up global news showed up and wanted us to say something. Try to avoid it but they kept the cameras rolling. Sure hope they don't turn our words around. This is truely sad.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the avy was along the pipeline, my neighbor here in Okotoks was in the group. He said they had their buddy dug out in about 5 minutes, but he suffered trauma in the trees and was killed during the slide. Sometimes it hits to close to home, my neighbor and I were riding together last weekend down there.My condolences to his family & his riding buddy's.Ride safe everyone, make it a round trip or stay home.

Sorry to hear.....Hopefully they get through these tough times. Where abouts on the pipeline?

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a sad day...condolences to all involved and affected by this tragedy.

We were in the Flathead/Harvey/McClatchie area all last week and were very surprised at the lack of slide paths that had come down. But, everything is loaded and waiting for the trigger to be pulled. With a foot or so of fresh early in the week combined with strong winds, warming temperatures and sunshine makes the conditions right for a huge cycle to go down with major consequence. Please play safe...or maybe just stay home and enjoy the spring like weather till things settle down out there...

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Condolences to family and friends of the riders touched by this accident. So sad.
Take care out there everyone.

We unloaded at the tin shack @ 9:30 this morning and were back there @ 12:00 because of a rock through a cooler. Saw 2 choppers hauling sleds out. When we were loading up global news showed up and wanted us to say something. Try to avoid it but they kept the cameras rolling. Sure hope they don't turn our words around. This is truely sad.
Reporter's questions posed to me this afternoon were about 'fines for riding during dangerous times, or without training'. Caught me totally off guard. The answer isn't fines and restrictions. Kind of like saying that anyone that travels on a highway when road conditions are poor should get a ticket if they choose to drive anyway. No idea what the interview will cut into...I pray that the editors are fair. My mind was so busy trying to word an answer to their original question that I couldn't seem to think straight for the general questions about training and gear. Wish the media would stop trying to create bad guys out of backcountry riders. It sure gets tiresome.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CBC news now says the victim was a 35 yr old man and a father of 4 from Red Deer. Pray for the family tonight.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Condolences to the family and friends involved.......and if anyone knows the name of the victims please do not post it here until the names are released .... it would be impersonal for family and close friends to find out here rather than proper channels

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Careful out there guys not only limited to the back country...

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 494

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have anymore info about where this happened ? Sometimes the cac will post coordinates but I haven't seen anything

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
catchme glad to hear you guys got back to the trucks ok! I was the buddy on the doo with ya really unfortunate about the cooler. Are you sure it was harvey from were the choppers were coming from it looked more like barnes/elliot area we were only 6-8 km's down the pipeline from tin shack when we seen the heli with the sleds coming out from the hills. sad day out there.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Date 2012-03-09Location 30kms. southeast of 18 km. mark on Corbin RoadLocation DescriptionNearest town abandoned town of Corbin. Southeast of SparwoodProvinceBCMountain RangeRocky MountainsCoordinates49.27 114.43 Lat/Long Decimal DegreesElevation-ActivitySnowmobilingInvolvement1Injury3Fatality1DescriptionSnowmobiler triggered avalanche above two sleds that were stuck in snow. Triggering snowmobiler caught in slide and was found submerged by snow and wrapped around tree. Transceiver utilized in finding buried victim within ten minutes but could not be resuscitated due to injuries sustained in collision with tree.
Date/timeSizeTypeTriggerElevationAspectSlab widthSlab thickness
2012-03-09 13:303SM-U200m60cm

Present TempMax TempMin Temp24hr TrendWind SpeedWind DirectionSky ConditionPrecipitation Type & Intensity
0--RisingUUCLRNone
Weather commentWarming trend
Snowpack24hr SnowStorm SnowStorm Date
-00-
Snowpack comment
Document DateTitleSource

We are interested in more information on this incident. Please contact us using this link.
CAC report is up, not much info but they do give a coordinate (shows it being very close to barnes lake and that would sort of jive with the written description of 30km southeast of km18 on the corbin road)

Incident Report Database : Library : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

Top Bottom