Avy Airbags

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, great points on both sides. I am planning on getting an avy bag this winter and i'm sure like everyone else, i have been looking at all options. Powderchowder and two other guys i ride with all have the Snowpulse bags and they all like how they feel when riding and they can hold a lot of gear.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, great points on both sides. I am planning on getting an avy bag this winter and i'm sure like everyone else, i have been looking at all options. Powderchowder and two other guys i ride with all have the Snowpulse bags and they all like how they feel when riding and they can hold a lot of gear.

You can stuff a lot into the 30L!

The 15 would be suffice, but would lack room for many "suggested" items. I'd rather carry the weight for that one time I had to stay the night, or even a few days.

And to respond to Uturn.

- ABS Cylinders aren't filled by the dealers. At one time they were sent back to Europe, however I think that might have changed. Either way, the dealers themselves don't do it. I wouldn't trust them either.

- You are correct. I'd sooner have them delay the shipment and make sure it's right. I know Snowpulse has had a few revisions. Not exactly sure of the details, but this recent one changes the design of the the system. A venturi "ingests" atmospheric air to increase volume. Their changing the part that actually controls this. I'd like to hear more about the change, and why it's being done to older bags. It's potentially something that 2nd hand users should check to see if it's done.

As for additional information, many people think the cylinders alone fill the air bags. This isn't true. Similar to the snowpulse, the ABS bag also have a venturi system that adds volume.

I was out this weekend and noticed quite a few snowpulse and ABS bags. Good to see!

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the sled show this fall, Avalanche Safety Solutions was giving free "Boosters" (adapters) for the venturi system for the 2008 back packs. It is the exact same part as the 2009 bags, and is simple to install. You slide it up on to the collar (venturi) where the bottle screws onto, then use a very small flat head screwdriver to tighten the set screw, so it stays in place. The design is set up so when you pull the trigger, the pressure from the gas cylinder pushes outward on the flaps in the booster, shutting them, and ALL of the high pressure air from the cylinder goes straight up into the bag, and none of it is wasted out the side of the venturi, and then when the pressure comes down in the cylinder, the flaps in the booster open back up and suck in more air to help fill the bag. I am pretty sure they did this to help with the issue of the bag not fully deploying if the velcro is holding too tight at the top of the bag. It just forces more initial air into the bag to help spread the velcro. So..... there are 2 items that all 2008 snowpulse bag owners should have:
1. Small velcro patch that reduces the area of connection between the velcro pieces on the bag.
2. Venturi "Booster" that ensures more air pressure goes into the bag on the initial release of the air.
If you don't have these 2 pieces, contact your local dealer, or Avalanche Safety Solutions directly, and they should be able to give you these items free of charge. There is also another piece that they will give for free. It removes the quick connect waist clip that can sometimes freeze up (I have never had enough trouble with mine to want to change it), and replaces it with a simple buckle that you put through sideways to get in place, then turn and flatten out. I definately prefer the quick connect that the bag came with, and with practice, I think most would too. The 2009 bags have a different quick connect waist clip that apparently doesn't freeze up as easy as the 2008 version.

DragonH

Reaction score
Just a comment on the Float 30:
I agree that pushing the release date back indicates that they are making sure that the design and operation is the best it can be. Also, BCA's lack of experience in the airbag market (as compared to ABS) doesn't really factor in for me. I believe that BCA has benefitted from ABS's 20+ years experience as well as Snowpulse because it's not like they are reinventing the wheel here. I'm sure that BCA has learned everything that they can from the other 2 designs before they even thought about designing one of their own. Just my .02

doostylz

Reaction score
Myself I borrowed a buddies snowpulse 30 pack last season and the feeling of security was a great thing to have. Mind you I did not change how I rode. It was comfortable and well didnt have to deploy so can not say how that end of it works. Had plenty of storage and didnt feel heavy. Have some people that i rode with and they have ABS and like them. I did end up buying a BCA just cause a person who is a dealer in them is a friend and I got a great package deal on a whole new set up. My 2 cents is better to have more options than not. Any AV pack is better than a $30 Wally World special. Of course there is always something better out there in everything in life but the more options for people to obtain a AV pack the better for our sport. If any save a life well spent by any means.

Top Bottom