Attention....how many more have to die...

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I, not being an experienced sledder (especially mountain), prior to this season have always been a bit nervous about getting caught in a slide. I'm not ashamed to say I'm a lot more scared now!!! I haven't made it to the mountains yet this year, but in no hurray now, neither are my sledding buddies that are experienced.

The fatalities this year are heartbreaking, and my heart goes out to all those affected.

bsan1827

Reaction score
First thing, I'm not a mountain rider, just got back into the four wheeled rides in the last year. I understand that a person wants to use their toys, not leave them sitting in the garage, but I do have a question. I've seen the big mountain sleds heading out, what do they ride like in a trail situation? I am not trying to stir anything up, just trying to get an idea of why people are still going up the big hills.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a very good issue being discussed here,

And we had this exact conversation in Renshaw last wednesday, we sat in the meadows down in the west side and watched a group high mark the massive east facing slope across the valley from us, it always a huge cornice up top, but on this day the vis was so bad we could barley see the top. never the less, these guys were having a great time climbing it.

we ALL, as a group, could not believe they were highmarking that slope, and I posed the question to our group,"If that slope breaks and slides, what do WE do?"

The more you think about it, the tougher it is to answer. It would be hard to drive away, but stupid to drive right in there too.???!!!

Could go for help, but time is so important....

We always carry a sat phone, with ALL emerg numbers stored in it, so a call would be easy. but still cant drive away,..... just cant!!

And how would any of us react if a stranger rode over and said, quit climbing that hill, its not safe!! Not sure how many would even listen.

So we all agreed,.... we would have to go help search and dig,... risk our lives to save some knuckle heads.

I guess the next level of awareness is to consider that if your actions cause a slide and you get buried, your risking more than just your own life,...... more than just your groups lives,...... you could be risking MY life too.

We are not canceling our planned trips for the rest of the year, but we are certainly being WAY more careful. We understand that no one is immune to the risk of mountain riding, but you do have some control over your destiny.

I speak for our whole crew when I say we are saddened by the recent deaths, and our hearts go out to all the friends and family of each person taken this year. Lets all take a minute and consider the pain of the affected families, and lets do our best to learn from there misfourtunes.

God bless

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I started this thread, I did not thing there would be such a response,,this is great,,, alot of good points and stories mentioned, but as in any thread on an open forum alot of misguided responses... To you that have read this thread and are thinking that I was picking a particular avy, sledder death or story you are wrong..... I was trying to get the point out to stay off the slopes and hopefully from all these responses, stories and imput maybe just maybe we will all get across to somebody and save a life of another sledder making him think twice before he goes to the mountains and wants to pull that hero climb....

So again I am sorry if some of you have taken this the wrong way, was not my intention......Just trying to maybe save one or a dozen more fellow sledder lives...

Thank You All for the great input....

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And we had this exact conversation in Renshaw last wednesday, we sat in the meadows down in the west side and watched a group high mark the massive east facing slope across the valley from us, it always a huge cornice up top, but on this day the vis was so bad we could barley see the top. never the less, these guys were having a great time climbing it.

we ALL, as a group, could not believe they were highmarking that slope, and I posed the question to our group,"If that slope breaks and slides, what do WE do?"

The more you think about it, the tougher it is to answer. It would be hard to drive away, but stupid to drive right in there too.???!!!

Could go for help, but time is so important....

We always carry a sat phone, with ALL emerg numbers stored in it, so a call would be easy. but still cant drive away,..... just cant!!

And how would any of us react if a stranger rode over and said, quit climbing that hill, its not safe!! Not sure how many would even listen.

So we all agreed,.... we would have to go help search and dig,... risk our lives to save some knuckle heads.

I guess the next level of awareness is to consider that if your actions cause a slide and you get buried, your risking more than just your own life,...... more than just your groups lives,...... you could be risking MY life too.

We are not canceling our planned trips for the rest of the year, but we are certainly being WAY more careful. We understand that no one is immune to the risk of mountain riding, but you do have some control over your destiny.

I speak for our whole crew when I say we are saddened by the recent deaths, and our hearts go out to all the friends and family of each person taken this year. Lets all take a minute and consider the pain of the affected families, and lets do our best to learn from there misfourtunes.

God bless
I dont think anyone can say it better than that. Excellent post. You are absolutaly right these peoples decisions are endangering us as well as them. I as well as you would choose to stay and help. It could be the death of me someday:(

cobbycat

Reaction score
ABS pack..............................................$1232.99
beacon.................................................$479.99
shovel/saw combo..................................$149.99
probe...................................................$99.99
GPS.....................................................$279.99
sat phone.............................................$1079.99
avy course............................................$250.00
brain....................................................$prices vary according to size

coming home to your loved ones...............$PRICELESS

ride safe and smart boys and girls!!

dooski

Reaction score
My 11 yr old son wants me to take him to the mountains as I promised him in the summer, but I told him that I won't take him because the high risk of avalanches. He is very upset about that and I tried to explain to him what is happening out there and I showed him pictures. After that he came to me and said why are these people being stupid going out there and getting killed on the big hills. I said I don't know but they are crazy. The thought of being under the snow and not being able to move gives me the creeps.

Briand

Reaction score
4 years ago we were in Clemina playing on a low slope about 20 degree angle hill with trees. We were with some locals showing us around. this was our first time in Clemina. No indication that there was a problem here. We considered it safe as did our local host and started to play on it. after about 10 runs or so I took my runn up the hill and just at the top on the downward run I noticed that my machine was moving but the snow wasn't. at first i thought i was stuck but no the machine was still jumping around. Then i saw cracks forming in the snow and realized i was on top of an avalanche. what seemed like an eternity was actually more like 15 to 20 seconds i rode out the slide. It was a shallow slope the slide did not build up to much speed and was just basically slab sliding and not a churning rolling type slide . No one else was involved just me. My friends were up on a smaller hill watching me.

For me this has changed the way i ride in the mountains now.
I no longer play on the big hills. I study the hill much more often and seldom go up big open faces anymore. My friends and i are much more diligent about deciding what hills to go on and if one feels uncomfortable we stay away. This happened 4 years ago but it is still fresh in my mind today and still scares the hell out of me.
Like i said before we thought this hill was safe and it has really shaken my confidence in deciding whats safe and what is not safe.

This year guys take it from me, Hills that you deem to be safe cause of years of up and down without indecent does not apply this year. This is a very unstable year and we all have to be much more cautious. I for one have decided not to go sledding this year. Its just not worth it to me.

Thanks

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

.......I say we are saddened by the recent deaths, and our hearts go out to all the friends and family of each person taken this year. Lets all take a minute and consider the pain of the affected families, and lets do our best to learn from there misfourtunes.

God bless

Great post. This is the problem with our community of sledders though - we care enough to endanger ourselves to save others.

If folks knew that no one had their back, they would be less inclined to take stupid risks. Its the same false sense of security they get with their gear.

It simply comes down to one choice for each of us to make: To live with the pain of telling someone's spouse and young child that their husband, father and hero won't be coming home, or for someone else to live with that pain and have to tell your family.

There is no right or wrong answer, its up to each of us and what we are prepared to live with, be it a short time, or a long time.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Great post. This is the problem with our community of sledders though - we care enough to endanger ourselves to save others."

Well said Modman, When poor decisions are made they affect more than just the guy who is making it. Its like the drunk who crashes his truck into another, it seems they walk away unharmed more often than not.

Life is not fair, deal with it! Weve all heard that. Some people choose to ignore the warnings. How many put themselves into these situations and were warned again by somebody passing by.
Anyway it is truely sad and i feel for the friends and families. I learned when i first started mountaineering, the mountain will always be there.

theslam19_98

Reaction score
here is my 2 cents, i have two kids and another one on its way. when i walk out the door they say bye DAd and that sticks in my head for a long time. i am new to sleding and have never been in the mountains . i have rode fields and had fun doing so but here is the best part i come home and my kids look at me and say YOU came back and i say i always do bud. i want to keep my word to my two kids .Not saying any thing bad to any one but this is what keeps me safe .lets ride safe and know what is going on

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope ryans accident will be a story that saves lives. Being one of the six who was there i can say we were aware that things were dangerous. Even to the point we talked in the parking lot about if we climb even a small slope turn out with speed and dont chance getting stuck. I am not parking next to someone to help!!!! So we went to a hill thats not the steepest and wide open with lots of places to run. And played.. It quite clear now it wasnt the best decision ive made and hope this on no other group. But as humans we all look at danger different. Some wont even do the speed limit. And some love speed. Some wont ditch bang, stick to the groomed trails. I love to ditchbang and can kill a tank in an hour with my ruthless throttle control. not even scared of the barbwire fence beside me. My point is that to be on here and look at pics of where others have gone and say retard!!! Isnt going to help. They diddnt find it dangerous(personally). After digging out a great friends body, maybe if we r up there ride over say hi, Im Andrew and pass on some of the stories that ive learned about whats happening this year. The snow that buried ryan was a slow as lava, no noise, no dust. But believe me ive learned very dangerous!!!! Ryan was loved by many and missed by all... And to tell about the widow makers. We needed a name at the terracana lodge for the wanted poster which displays:(:( your friends and how much and often they spend there. It was chosen after many rums and purely out of fun. We just left there and tore down our wanted poster. Maybe if anyone might have any suggestions for a new name that fits what we went through..

Andrew

karbz700

Reaction score
Havent rode for almost a month. Really have no intention of riding. I cary all the gear including an avy pack. Still dont feel invincible enough to leave my kid behind. Even when the avy conditions are low it doesnt mean that it still cant happen. I watched a friend get half buried last year when conditions were ok. It doesnt take much of a hill.Play safe.

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dont care how anyone would react, or if they would listen... It should always be done.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont care how anyone would react, or if they would listen... It should always be done.

Go and tell them. if they brush you off at least you tryed and can say at the end of the day, I did my good deed.

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope ryans accident will be a story that saves lives. Being one of the six who was there i can say we were aware that things were dangerous. Even to the point we talked in the parking lot about if we climb even a small slope turn out with speed and dont chance getting stuck. I am not parking next to someone to help!!!! So we went to a hill thats not the steepest and wide open with lots of places to run. And played.. It quite clear now it wasnt the best decision ive made and hope this on no other group. But as humans we all look at danger different. Some wont even do the speed limit. And some love speed. Some wont ditch bang, stick to the groomed trails. I love to ditchbang and can kill a tank in an hour with my ruthless throttle control. not even scared of the barbwire fence beside me. My point is that to be on here and look at pics of where others have gone and say retard!!! Isnt going to help. They diddnt find it dangerous(personally). After digging out a great friends body, maybe if we r up there ride over say hi, Im Andrew and pass on some of the stories that ive learned about whats happening this year. The snow that buried ryan was a slow as lava, no noise, no dust. But believe me ive learned very dangerous!!!! Ryan was loved by many and missed by all... And to tell about the widow makers. We needed a name at the terracana lodge for the wanted poster which displays:(:( your friends and how much and often they spend there. It was chosen after many rums and purely out of fun. We just left there and tore down our wanted poster. Maybe if anyone might have any suggestions for a new name that fits what we went through..

Andrew
well put bro,it was good getting together with you and the rest of the boys,what ryans mom had to say to all of us took a lot of courage.she helped me leave there with my head held high,knowing that she knew how hard we all tried,and to keep sledding ...cause thats what her son would want,

hurtinalbertin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could't agree more Scotford. What are people trying to do ruin the sport we all love. Between all the avy deaths and idiots killing deers down south, it's just making a reciepe for activists to shut us down. Grab a brain ride safe and responsible and for god sakes STAY OFF THE G**D**E HILLS. I love the mountians just as much as the next guy and I have all the gear(spot, abs, becon, probe, shovel, gps, sat phone) but I'm not going to climb, it's meadow mania for me

hurtinalbertin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the "never before seen" contitions this year, every slope is a time bomb!! The average person wouldn't just stroll up to a time bomb to see how much time is left, they just stay back!! SAME THING!!

So next time you (anyone) feel like you need to climb something this year, turn to your riding buddies and tell them what to say to your wife/kids/mother when you DON'T COME HOME!!! None of your riding buds ever want to be put in this position and I think that a REAL bud will respect this! Not to mention the terrible heart break you will cause at home!!

RIDE SMART, COME HOME TO YOUR LOVED ONES

very well put cobbycat

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Andrew

Drew thanks so much for coming on here and sharing your story....my point of this thread is not to push blam, but for people, like yourself, to share stories and points of view, that as I've seen since I started this thread(3400views later), my point must be getting out there and obviously people are reading the thread and hopefully understanding what we are all are trying to say......STAY OFF THE HILLS,SLOPES,CHUTES,BUNNY HILLS WHAT EVER, YOU CALL A HILL..., AND MAYBE JUST MAYBE we will all save a few more fellow sledders.

Remember all this is not to force blam or ya should have done this, but to maybe educate and save some lives and save our sledding areas, because like many have mentioned in this thread, this is just more fuel for the GRANOLA EATING.....CAN'T SAY IT...PEOPLE WHO WANT ANYTHING TO SHUT SLEDDING IN THE BACK COUNTRY DOWN....

Again WOW... what a response to this thread..... there are alot of caring sledders in our S&M world here.... I still cannot believe over 3400 views in like 36hrs... keep it up peeps... still read every response...

Last edited:

Flying Pig

Reaction score
To h2snow, that first pic was in tumbler, it was sleddiot from snowest who set it off. I believe he was actually near the hotdog stand when he took that pic. So technically where he was when he took the pic was safe, there's a valley between him and that hill.
Its sad that this keeps happening but it will as long as negligence is involved. I have two friends who got a blackballing thismorning. They posted pics of a slide they set off in the wolverine last weekend with them sitting at the bottom (like way too close to the debris, and adjacent to it). their tracks showed they had just come off the hill right next to the sled they had set off. They were climbing that slope when it slid. Neither have any experience out there, both drink and ride, both bought 1000s, neither wears any gear and they don't care. Told them both this morning that I'm bringing a black bag or two for them next trip. Told their girlfriends too. Better believe I won't be anywhere near them. Probably be way down in the trees playing in a meadow or creek on my little sled. By telling them that I meant no disrespect to anyone, especially those who have already lost their lives. I just don't know how else to get throught to these guys. We all ride MX together in the summer as well. Problem is they don't realize that you don'tget hurt in the mountains, you die. Its not like riding a bike where mother nature isn't goin to kill you, pretty gnarly to get dirt to slide. Just don't know what else to do. Maybe if I refuse to ride with them? Or is it going to take one of us being lost to do it to them? Just hope its not me...guess if I stay home the rest of the year it won't be. I've waited this long, whats another 11 months.

Top Bottom