Attention....how many more have to die...

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Attention....How Many More Have To Die...

Look this is getting ridiculous......well I was at the funeral yesterday of a friend and fellow sledder, another dies in an avy in Tumbler...

:rant:Look I donot thing I am the only one with this feelings but this is getting just STUPID..!! How many more sledders are going to DIE because of not heeding the WARNINGS!!!...

RIGHT NOW IT IS NOT SAFE TO BE ANY SLOPE ANYWHERE...IF YOU THINK DIFFERENT THEN YOUR JUST PLANNING THE NEXT FUNERAL..!!

What the Heck are some of you people thinking that ohhh it WON'T happen to me....STUPID....

I am sorry if this sounds harsh but somebody has to say something, enough is a DAM enough....:nono:

AGAIN I WILL SAY IT.....IT IS NOT SAFE TO BE ON ANY SLOPE ANYWHERE....END OF STORY

I am sorry but I cannot take another headline of SLEDDER DIES IN AVY...

This is more then avoidable..and if I offended the people who have lost friends I'm SORRY..I'm one of them too...

Just my 2cents and had to rant:rant:

Last edited:

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good question, but it will be more!:(

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%....What I cant understand is how a group of friends could watch a guy hi marking when the conditions are like this? You would think that at least one of them would have the sense to tell the guy to lay off the hills. I was supposed to go to Tumbler this weekend,but cancelled because of the conditions.
I just wish people would think a little before they head into country they have no right being in,considering the conditions now.There are plenty of low laying areas to play in if you dont want to cancel your trip.
The scarey thing is that it is only the middle of January, how many more will we read about??

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes, the answer is more. It all comes down to a few factors such as the lack of knowledge to read and understand the obvious signs, to big of an ego, the it'll never happen to me syndrome, not knowing the area as well as you think you do and just plain poor judgement. I'd suggest keeping away from the news if your that fed up as there will be more to come yet.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look this is getting ridiculous......well I was at the funeral yesterday of a friend and fellow sledding another dies in an avy in Tumbler...

:rant:Look I donot thing I am the only one with this feelings but this is getting just STUPID..!! How many more sledders are going to DIE because of not heeding the WARNINGS!!!...

RIGHT NOW IT IS NOT SAFE TO BE ANY ANY SLOPE ANYWHERE...IF YOU THINK DIFFERENT THEN YOUR JUST PLANNING THE NEXT FUNERAL..!!

What the Heck are some of you people thinking that ohhh it WON'T happen to me....STUPID....

I am sorry if this sounds harsh but somebody has to say something, enough is a DAM enough....:nono:

AGAIN I WILL SAY IT.....IT IS NOT SAFE TO BE ON ANY SLOPE ANYWHERE....END OF STORY

I am sorry but I cannot take another headline of SLEDDER DIES IN AVY...

This is more then avoidable..and if I offended the people who have lost friends I'm SORRY..I'm one of them too...

Just my 2cents and had to rant:rant:

THANKS. You said it the way I have been trying to say it in my post's. I have been ducking and dodging around what I truely wanted to say so thanks again.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are not being to harsh!! I have already heard too many non sleders say they should close these backcountry areas because it is to dangerous. These are the same type of lobyists who got three wheeled atv's banned. It wasnt the atv's fault that people were getting killed it was the morons riding them. Same goes for 80 percent of Avy fatalities. Sure sometimes they have been unavoidable but most times it is some moron who doesnt heed the warning signs. If those who keep riding the slopes right now in disreguard of the conditions dont watch out the lobyists will be able to close areas. It is always 2 percent who make it bad for the rest of us. YOU WERENT RANTING SCOTFORD YOU WERE SAYING WHAT NEEDS TO BE SAID. My heart goes out to all of the family/friends that have been affected in these trajedys. Lets all of us not stand by and let these guys ignore the obvious. Dont be afraid of offending someone if you see a group of these guys let them know how stupid they are being. They will probably get pissed at you and tell you to go f--- yourself. But someone in that group will think later, (YEAH THAT WAS REALLY STUPID OF US) Rest asurred they will be talking about it later.And hopefully riding smarter the next time if they get the chance.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THANKS. You said it the way I have been trying to say it in my post's. I have been ducking and dodging around what I truely wanted to say so thanks again.

Well bb....no prob I've been reading all the threads and nobody is actually saying it...STAY OFF THE SLOPES....I just hope that this reachs all those who think they are INVINSABLE TO AN AVY....

Like mentioned earlier it is only January.....this sled season is not going to change mother nature is making a point that she still rules the mountains, and with the snowpack start that we have it is not going to change for the rest of the season...

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A also agree with you Scotford....this is just getting to be enough already!! This is starting to give our sport a bad name, and you know what will happen next....THAT'S RIGHT!! CLOSURES!! If you think the caribou issue was bad, and the areas that got shut down were many, wait until more of these guys go out to the mountains wreaking havoc. It's not safe to go out there, and the conditions most likely will not improve because of the really ugly base layer that got set up early in the season. 2009 doesn't look good for highmarking. Go do some trail riding, clearcuts and even groomed trails.....come back home ALIVE!!

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are not being to harsh!! I have already heard too many non sleders say they should close these backcountry areas because it is to dangerous. These are the same type of lobyists who got three wheeled atv's banned. It wasnt the atv's fault that people were getting killed it was the morons riding them. Same goes for 80 percent of Avy fatalities. Sure sometimes they have been unavoidable but most times it is some moron who doesnt heed the warning signs. If those who keep riding the slopes right now in disreguard of the conditions dont watch out the lobyists will be able to close areas. It is always 2 percent who make it bad for the rest of us. YOU WERENT RANTING SCOTFORD YOU WERE SAYING WHAT NEEDS TO BE SAID. My heart goes out to all of the family/friends that have been affected in these trajedys. Lets all of us not stand by and let these guys ignore the obvious. Dont be afraid of offending someone if you see a group of these guys let them know how stupid they are being. They will probably get pissed at you and tell you to go f--- yourself. But someone in that group will think later, (YEAH THAT WAS REALLY STUPID OF US) Rest asurred they will be talking about it later.And hopefully riding smarter the next time if they get the chance.

Very well said Viper......I could not agree more..

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forgive me posting this inlight of the recent one ....direct quote from the sad day thread

sledding this area for the last 9-10 years.we stayed close to the cabin near the wind tunnel,between the 7 of us we pulled 65-70 runs up the hill between 11:00-1:50. the hill had all ready released on the right side before we started to play

somebody want to help me out here????

himarking should be the last thing we do at this time period...I for one stopped doin this type of riding over 8 years ago ....yes its fun yes its thrilling and you can't beat the adrenaline buzz after coming off a good pull ...but folks this year is an extrordinary year for weather....

unfortunately there isn't a safe hill around .......

bring shovels make jumps, boondock and play in the trees ...just stay off South slopes and wind hammered hills....it may never be ready ...soo don't temp it

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some harsh words spoken in this thread but I do not beleive that they are meant for our lost sledders or their friends and family. These words need to be said Guys and Gals. As I have said in my respond in the " Sad Day" thread, it is times like these that we are drawn closer to one another. It is good that some of us have the balls and speak up on this subject. It is a tragety that so many lives have been lost, but it would be a travisty if we don't heed the messages that these deaths are sending us. Lets honour our lost comrades and make some smarter decisions before we choose to ride in these trecherous conditions.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"sledding this area for the last 9-10 years.we stayed close to the cabin near the wind tunnel,between the 7 of us we pulled 65-70 runs up the hill between 11:00-1:50. the hill had all ready released on the right side before we started to play "

I agree with you H2 100%,I couldn't believe what I was reading. Out of 7 of them,you would think that one of them would have enough brains and balls to say..NO WE ARE NOT GOING TO DO ANY CLIMBING TODAY.
It leaves me shaking my head because it was totally avoidable,it didn't have to happen......if only....one man stood up and said..NO!!!!!!!

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those comments on the tumbler avy,,,I agree why would 7 guys sit and watch.....their bud highmark....this is harsh if the guys from that are on here but it needs to be said...

Look try this.....Yamafest is coming up soon....do you think for one second if the conditions do not change that guys like Mike Irmen, Randy Swenson, Paul Gibbs...the list can go on,,, or Team Thunderstruck,, well be doing climbs in turtle...Monster...NO THEY WELL NOT BECAUSE THESE GUYS KNOW!!!!..so to some of you that go to Yamafest to see this and this year there is no climbs are you going to call these guys Pussies...

Hey Last Yr at BigDawg there was no climbs....why??? CONDITIONS...

I JUST HOPE THE MESSAGE GETS ACROSS.....

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First day out after the "slide" in Clemina, pic of a different slide... guys still going for the top.. 2 at a time to boot..WTF, I don't get it.. :rant:

Attachments

• Valemount 09 069.jpg
    Valemount 09 069.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 384

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First day out after the "slide" in Clemina, pic of a different slide... guys still going for the top.. 2 at a time to boot..WTF, I don't get it.. :rant:

THIS IS THE FREEKING STUPIDITY I AM TALKING ABOUT....THESE GUYS ARE JUST JACKASSES....LIKE VIPER SAID THIS IS WHAT SOME PEOPLE WELL USE AGAINST US SLEDDERS TO CLOSE AREAS...AND MORE SLEDDERS DIEING BECAUSE OF STUPIDITY....:rant:

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what ..after all this crap heres the deal..............any fookin idiot can climb a wall of snow ....it takes experience,skill,thought,and planning to weed through really tough tree filled lines with little canyons and creeks, and drops....we ride with mostly Doo 800s .....we love the steep little shots in rolling hills and benches.....with nowhere out turns....the wrong move gets you done.....

picking yer way through trees to get up in elevation to a specific spot designated early in the day is the goal.......

the old running a hill to see who has the bigest balls is sooooooooooo 1990.....been there done that bought the Tshirt .....it all makes for great vidoe in March not right now

people have to learn that this whole himarkin bullsh1t is just that cuz at the end of the day nobody cares ...maybe they should all go back to 136s and inch and a halves ..

thats it

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO BRAINS,NO BALLS TO SAY DONT CLIMB,,,,,i can understand your words of frustation.we all did talk about not going up we all studied the hill ,we all saw that the hill had released to the right.we all went up one at a time,for over65-70 times.5 of as went up one at a time toenjoy the view,take some pitures and enjoy the day,we know that is what we did.none of us wanted to go any where else becaucse we honesty thought we were in a (SAFE AREA).......now all of us have a funeral to attend.not by choice.........did we f... up maybe but that is what we all have to live with isnt it.

Top Bottom