Attention....how many more have to die...

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO BRAINS,NO BALLS TO SAY DONT CLIMB,,,,,i can understand your words of frustation.we all did talk about not going up we all studied the hill ,we all saw that the hill had released to the right.we all went up one at a time,for over65-70 times.5 of as went up one at a time toenjoy the view,take some pitures and enjoy the day,we know that is what we did.none of us wanted to go any where else becaucse we honesty thought we were in a (SAFE AREA).......now all of us have a funeral to attend.not by choice.........did we f... up maybe but that is what we all have to live with isnt it.

I don't know what to say to help out the situation ..sh1t happens and thats the way the ball rolls...period I know.

I am simply trying to portray the the rest of the world .....that hasn't gotten the message ............."IT AINT SAFE" STAY THE HELL OFF THE HILLS"
maybe .................just maybe the unfortunate thing that happened to you will stop 1 (ONE) person from the same fate

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i do understand the point you are trying to get across,but what has happened has happened,is it a tough lesson you bet,but you have to understand this is a very difficult time for me,my brothers that were there and for ryans family.when i posted A SAD DAY i did it to try and help me deal with what is going on in side of me,and to try and give a clear piture of what happened so all of our sledding brothers and sisters heard it from someone that was there.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO BRAINS,NO BALLS TO SAY DONT CLIMB,,,,,i can understand your words of frustation.we all did talk about not going up we all studied the hill ,we all saw that the hill had released to the right.we all went up one at a time,for over65-70 times.5 of as went up one at a time toenjoy the view,take some pitures and enjoy the day,we know that is what we did.none of us wanted to go any where else becaucse we honesty thought we were in a (SAFE AREA).......now all of us have a funeral to attend.not by choice.........did we f... up maybe but that is what we all have to live with isnt it.

Look I'm sorry.....I don't know what to say....but your right it is something you guys have to live with......

I started this thread to try and get the MESSAGE OUT.....STAY OFF THE SLOPES.... I know your probbaly pissed at a lot of guys that responded to this thread, but I want you to think of this....

If this thread was here before you guys went would you still have climbed that hill..... Like H2 said, if this helps save one more life then I(We) got the message across....

weldor

Reaction score
Just rode Lucile today and we spent a good part of the day shaking our heads wondering why people are still going where they are!!! We seen people playing on slopes that slide on a good year! Hell we even seen tracks where people had climbed into the Larva bowl!!! We stayed low in the trees and actually had a big air jump day. We had a blast and had no need to go anywhere risky. The following picture is why these guys are dieing:

Nikon360.jpg

This hill always slides and yet still this!!!

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look I'm sorry.....I don't know what to say....but your right it is something you guys have to live with......

I started this thread to try and get the MESSAGE OUT.....STAY OFF THE SLOPES.... I know your probbaly pissed at a lot of guys that responded to this thread, but I want you to think of this....

If this thread was here before you guys went would you still have climbed that hill..... Like H2 said, if this helps save one more life then I(We) got the message across....

i agree,if it gets though to save one life ,this is a good thing,but to answer your question yes we honestly thought it was safe,and i belive we still would have gone up

mofo69

Reaction score
forgive me posting this inlight of the recent one ....direct quote from the sad day thread

sledding this area for the last 9-10 years.we stayed close to the cabin near the wind tunnel,between the 7 of us we pulled 65-70 runs up the hill between 11:00-1:50. the hill had all ready released on the right side before we started to play

somebody want to help me out here????

himarking should be the last thing we do at this time period...I for one stopped doin this type of riding over 8 years ago ....yes its fun yes its thrilling and you can't beat the adrenaline buzz after coming off a good pull ...but folks this year is an extrordinary year for weather....

unfortunately there isn't a safe hill around .......

bring shovels make jumps, boondock and play in the trees ...just stay off South slopes and wind hammered hills....it may never be ready ...soo don't temp it
bought new sled this year ......just shaking to get it in the deep stuff in Wells (yanks peak) but with all th warnings just have to wait till its safe. its bad out there:( well thats life be safe and ride another day!!!!!!!!!!

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been sitting back just reading the events of the year in disbelief. I have not posted anything until now, but I just have to say something.
I do not wish what has happend to many families this year on anyone, my condolances to all.
The suffering is wide spread, family, friends, rescue teams, on and on.
It would seam that the poor decisions of a few will cause grief for many for years to come. If anyone that was at a slide at the time it slid and lost a friend will now wish that they could go back in time and change their choices and stop their friends but this can not happen and we all have to support each other and move forward, not look back.
We all have to start speaking up and stopping this. When someone talks about going we need to talk them out of it. We need to start going in different directions. Bush bashing, trail riding, something but hill climbing!!
If nothing changes, nothing will change!!
Sleds are getting bigger, better and people are getting into more trouble as they get deeper into the mountains.
Maybe we need to have the clubs close all areas until the hills become safe. If the trails into the back country are not accessable, maybe less people will go into them. Quit grooming the trails.
Plug the parking lots so there is nowhere to stage.
If we don't start policing ourselves, the granola crunchers will police us. I know that a lot of people will not agree, but these are just a few idea's and if they just save one live, it will all be worth it. One year without hills is better than all area's closed for years to come. One slow year for businesses is better than no customers at all due to all areas closed forever.
As a community of sledders, there should be something we can do.
We were in the hills a few times now. We were only a few miles from Harvey creek when the first hill slid and cost 7 sledders their life.
While we were sitting in the meadows having a refreshment, we heard several slides around us. It is just not safe out there right now!!!
There are a lot more slides going on than we even realize!!!!
Everyone has to do their part in keeping fellow sledders out of dangerous situations.
Next time everyone leaves home to go to the hills make sure you hug and say goodby to you son/daughter/wife/mom/dad because even though you might not care and start hill climbing, that might be the last time they see you alive and I am POSITIVE they care!!!

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If we don't start policing ourselves, the granola crunchers will police us.qouted by mymod

Very well put mymod........your reply was very informative

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am not sure if i read this on here or the avy website

if it bigger than your living room and steeper than your staircase it is danger stay away from it

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am keeping it brutly honest guys,telling you straight from the heart.the avatar is a name our group came up with as laugh,we never intended for that to ever become true

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am keeping it brutly honest guys,telling you straight from the heart.the avatar is a name our group came up with as laugh,we never intended for that to ever become true

Good on you.......takes alot to do what you did...but ya did the first thing right, your talking about it...... just like the son who lost his father..he was on snowwest to tell the story right.....

THIS IS HOW WE ALL LEARN....FROM OTHER PEOPLE'S MISTAKES AND MISHAPS...

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
couldn't have said it better myself there, my mod. "If nothing changes nothing will change" & "As a community of sledder, there should be something we can do" two very important statements made by my mod. Wake up and snell the two stroke smoke.

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[/B]

I guess your avatar says it all.:confused:

you know mongrol,i am sitting hear and am completly lost for words,the widow makers is the closest group of honest,hard working men that i am proud to know and be a part of.i am sorry but i just dont have the words to say anything to you

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing need to be said. Didn't mean that to sound like an insensative insult but was questioning your remark that even with the benefit of hind sight you would likely have made the same descision?

Top Bottom