Attention....how many more have to die...

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drew thanks so much for coming on here and sharing your story....my point of this thread is not to push blam, but for people, like yourself, to share stories and points of view, that as I've seen since I started this thread(3400views later), my point must be getting out there and obviously people are reading the thread and hopefully understanding what we are all are trying to say......STAY OFF THE HILLS,SLOPES,CHUTES,BUNNY HILLS WHAT EVER, YOU CALL A HILL..., AND MAYBE JUST MAYBE we will all save a few more fellow sledders.

Remember all this is not to force blam or ya should have done this, but to maybe educate and save some lives and save our sledding areas, because like many have mentioned in this thread, this is just more fuel for the GRANOLA EATING.....CAN'T SAY IT...PEOPLE WHO WANT ANYTHING TO SHUT SLEDDING IN THE BACK COUNTRY DOWN....

Again WOW... what a response to this thread..... there are alot of caring sledders in our S&M world here.... I still cannot believe over 3400 views in like 36hrs... keep it up peeps... still read every response...

sooo is it all worth it or not ??????

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sooo is it all worth it or not ??????

Ya H2.... I think this thread is more than worth it... there has been alot of good responses and look how many guys think the way most of us are thinking that it is just not worth it this year to climb the slopes... and I think we got across to a few peeps... but you know what we well not stop them all.... I was just checking the Mcbride thread, and there is a nice pic of a big slope with highmarks right to the top:nono: like WTF....but all we can do is try....I know if I was there I would have rode over and said....WTF...do you not realize the conditions....they would have said...F_off to me but maybe they would have not..

AND I ALSO HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS THREAD......SO YA ITS WORTH IT!!!

Trencher

Reaction score
My prayers go out!!!

Hey Guys, I am putting this on here for a buddy of mine who would like this to circulate around so feel free to copy and paste it where ever you may like. He wrote this after being part of a rescue and I thought it was fairly somber and eyeopening even for veteran backcountry enthusiasts. Please read and think how it would feel to be in his shoe's or any member of this party mentioned in this letter. All i can say is My love and Prayers go out to all who have endured this or simalar tragedies and hope this may save someone life because that someone may be someone you know!

Riding in the back-country, for those of you who haven't had the opportunity, is breathtaking and rewarding. The mountains deserve a great deal of respect, and when the respect isn't there, there are cases where unfortunately, lives are lost. Our group helped with pulling an avalanche victim (a complete stranger) from a slide - it was difficult for me to watch his friends as we fought to revive him and were unsuccessful. I saw the pain that his friends were experiencing and I can assure you that it wasn't an experience I'd like to have again. I don't work for, nor am I affiliated with, an avalanche training organization, but I am passionate about making a difference and hoping that this information will help to save a life - yours or your buddy's. Think of your loved ones that get left behind, or in some cases the rescuers that are caught in a secondary slide.

Just as a pilot or sailor checks weather conditions to plan their route, snowmobilers should be checking for current weather and avalance conditions before venturing into the back-country. They should also have adequate training and safety and survival equipment (not just during avalanche conditions, but at all times).

In light of all the recent snowmobiling fatalities in the mountains this season, I've put together a checklist of items that will help in saving lives (I'm sure there are more helpful tips, this is just a starting point).

Take an avalanche safety course - this is a great resource for practical and classroom information; new information and techniques are always being discovered and taught. If you've taken the training and know what to look for, do the other members of your group know what to do in an emergency situation? You need a license to operate a vehicle, boat, airplane, etc. - this should be no different. Suggest that you update your avalanche safety training every three years, in addition to First Aid (CPR) training.
Check the current weather report (Current Weather - The Weather Network).
Check the current avalance bulletins (Welcome to avalanche.ca).
Practice using all of your emergency equipment daily when snowmobiling in the back-country and then critique the exercise for areas of improvement (i.e. hide a beeper in a safe snowpack area and take turns, within your group, of leading as incident command) - you may know what to do, but what if you're the one buried?
Always carry your shovel, probe, beeper and survival equipment on your body - if you separate from your equipment, you've just wasted valuable rescue time. An airbag backpack is also another safety tool.
Stay off slopes designated as unsafe (see avalanche bulletins). Also, look for evidence of recent slides.
Avoid alcohol and drugs on the hill - you need to stay sharp.
Refrain from high-marking (it weakens the snowpack) - you lose bragging rights when you lose your life.
One climber on a hill at a time.
The only help you have on the hill are fellow snowmobilers - medical aid can be hours away.
Do your best to never put yourself or anyone else in danger.
Having many years of experience of riding in the mountains doesn't mean we're experienced mountain riders. In addition, we need avalanche training, tools and respect to ride in the back-country. Don't become a statistic. Live to play another day.

Snowmobile: $10,000-15,000 --- Safety Equipment and Training: PRICELESS

- Norm B. -

krazy ken

Reaction score
As also being one of the guys with Ryan, I started to read this thread when it started and was upset with the bashing going on. I finally sat down and read people responses and glad that they supported us. I am one of the newest member of these group of guys (5 years now) and I'm not the big hillclimber, love the trees and meadows. I have alot of respect for the mountains and always play it safe, usually last one up a hill to see how the guys are making it, then I know what to expect. As for the hill behind Clemina cabin I was looking forward to see how my sled was performing, as previos trips to Revy were in 2-4 feet of powder and trail breaking. This hill was where I learned to climb and always thought to be safe and found out the hard way it wasn't.
AND LIKE THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT
STAY OFF THE HILLS
AND COME HOME TO YOUR LOVED ONES!!!!

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As also being one of the guys with Ryan, I started to read this thread when it started and was upset with the bashing going on. I finally sat down and read people responses and glad that they supported us. I am one of the newest member of these group of guys (5 years now) and I'm not the big hillclimber, love the trees and meadows. I have alot of respect for the mountains and always play it safe, usually last one up a hill to see how the guys are making it, then I know what to expect. As for the hill behind Clemina cabin I was looking forward to see how my sled was performing, as previos trips to Revy were in 2-4 feet of powder and trail breaking. This hill was where I learned to climb and always thought to be safe and found out the hard way it wasn't.
STAY OFF THE HILLS

well said kenny , i also was a little pissed with some of the comments.but the main point to STAY OFF THE SLOPES has really hit home.I know how much i love riding the mountians,and am going back to sicamous in the middle of feb.i have not been sleeping well since ryans accident and to tell you the truth i am scared,worried,fearful,about going back but it is what i have to do,and do with resect for the mountians,i will over come my nighmares in time.i have great support from family and friends like you and the rest of the guys.life must continue and i know ryan would not want us to give up what we all love so much

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: My prayers go out!!!

Hey Guys, I am putting this on here for a buddy of mine who would like this to circulate around so feel free to copy and paste it where ever you may like. He wrote this after being part of a rescue and I thought it was fairly somber and eyeopening even for veteran backcountry enthusiasts. Please read and think how it would feel to be in his shoe's or any member of this party mentioned in this letter. All i can say is My love and Prayers go out to all who have endured this or simalar tragedies and hope this may save someone life because that someone may be someone you know!

Riding in the back-country, for those of you who haven't had the opportunity, is breathtaking and rewarding. The mountains deserve a great deal of respect, and when the respect isn't there, there are cases where unfortunately, lives are lost. Our group helped with pulling an avalanche victim (a complete stranger) from a slide - it was difficult for me to watch his friends as we fought to revive him and were unsuccessful. I saw the pain that his friends were experiencing and I can assure you that it wasn't an experience I'd like to have again. I don't work for, nor am I affiliated with, an avalanche training organization, but I am passionate about making a difference and hoping that this information will help to save a life - yours or your buddy's. Think of your loved ones that get left behind, or in some cases the rescuers that are caught in a secondary slide.

Just as a pilot or sailor checks weather conditions to plan their route, snowmobilers should be checking for current weather and avalance conditions before venturing into the back-country. They should also have adequate training and safety and survival equipment (not just during avalanche conditions, but at all times).

In light of all the recent snowmobiling fatalities in the mountains this season, I've put together a checklist of items that will help in saving lives (I'm sure there are more helpful tips, this is just a starting point).

Take an avalanche safety course - this is a great resource for practical and classroom information; new information and techniques are always being discovered and taught. If you've taken the training and know what to look for, do the other members of your group know what to do in an emergency situation? You need a license to operate a vehicle, boat, airplane, etc. - this should be no different. Suggest that you update your avalanche safety training every three years, in addition to First Aid (CPR) training.
Check the current weather report (Current Weather - The Weather Network).
Check the current avalance bulletins (Welcome to avalanche.ca).
Practice using all of your emergency equipment daily when snowmobiling in the back-country and then critique the exercise for areas of improvement (i.e. hide a beeper in a safe snowpack area and take turns, within your group, of leading as incident command) - you may know what to do, but what if you're the one buried?
Always carry your shovel, probe, beeper and survival equipment on your body - if you separate from your equipment, you've just wasted valuable rescue time. An airbag backpack is also another safety tool.
Stay off slopes designated as unsafe (see avalanche bulletins). Also, look for evidence of recent slides.
Avoid alcohol and drugs on the hill - you need to stay sharp.
Refrain from high-marking (it weakens the snowpack) - you lose bragging rights when you lose your life.
One climber on a hill at a time.
The only help you have on the hill are fellow snowmobilers - medical aid can be hours away.
Do your best to never put yourself or anyone else in danger.
Having many years of experience of riding in the mountains doesn't mean we're experienced mountain riders. In addition, we need avalanche training, tools and respect to ride in the back-country. Don't become a statistic. Live to play another day.

Snowmobile: $10,000-15,000 --- Safety Equipment and Training: PRICELESS

- Norm B. -
hi norm,were you the guy with the sat phone that helped us in climina

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
STAY OFF THE HILLS

Thanks Ken for the replie and I'm glad you read through the thread to see this was not bashing anyone or any story, just trying to help and by reading stories like yours I can see the message is getting across.....

again thanks and be strong.....

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know in my opinion, i think that it should be manditory to have some sort of avy training to go in the back country. they could police it by the fact that you would not be allowed to buy a trail pass without showing some kind of cert that you have avy training. i think this would save lives up in the hills for the fact that when someone dose get buried people will have the skills to react quickly and know what to do in that situation. and people will have the ability to read slops and hazardous areas better. granted i know that there is always a risk involved in mt riding and deaths will happen, i think this would be a step in the write direction to start reducing deaths in the sport we all love.

ballsout

Reaction score
IMO it is kind of like the 90's in the prairies the was a rash of sledders falling through the ice and drowning.

Part of the problem is that as sledding get more popular, you get more for rookies who sled uniformed and unaware of the dangers and thus you have more incidents.

Unfortunately mountain sledding is at an all time high in terms of popularity and thus increasing the possibility and probability of sledders caught in slides.

We the semi-experienced and very experienced sledders have been treated quite well by the conditions for the past few years. Unfortunately this year will serve as reminders to all of us for many years to come.

Just like the prairies had a couple bad years of sleds falling through the ice before everyone caught on that it was a serious life or death, it will take mountain sledders the same type of learning curve.

up till this year avalanches were a thing that happened to someone else that you didn't know. Being the tightknit community that sledding is, we probably all now know someone who was a friend of a person who was caught in an avalanche. This will bring the realism of the situation so that we all SMARTEN THE F**K UP!!!

With what has happened this year, how many of you have combed your memories and realised there was times you climbed and that you were not fully aware because you were in too much of a rush because your buddy might steal your virgin hill? How many times have you looked at a hill and your eyes never made it to the top of the hill to see the freakin huge cornice? How many times did you not notice the tiny snowballs rolling down the hill as you pulled a wicked super cool climb?

We all do it, myself included, I am thankful it has not been me, but I tell ya I am way, way more cautious and have way, way more respect for the hills I climb. I now take the proper time to analiyse the hill I am looking to climb. Also I have taken more to finding nice paths through the trees. as I feel that the trees still standing is a good indication that the slides don't go there. I still look at the hills much harder than I did before this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnny blaze

Reaction score
Re: Attention....How Many More Have To Die...

Look this is getting ridiculous......well I was at the funeral yesterday of a friend and fellow sledder, another dies in an avy in Tumbler...

:rant:Look I donot thing I am the only one with this feelings but this is getting just STUPID..!! How many more sledders are going to DIE because of not heeding the WARNINGS!!!...

RIGHT NOW IT IS NOT SAFE TO BE ANY SLOPE ANYWHERE...IF YOU THINK DIFFERENT THEN YOUR JUST PLANNING THE NEXT FUNERAL..!!

What the Heck are some of you people thinking that ohhh it WON'T happen to me....STUPID....

I am sorry if this sounds harsh but somebody has to say something, enough is a DAM enough....:nono:

AGAIN I WILL SAY IT.....IT IS NOT SAFE TO BE ON ANY SLOPE ANYWHERE....END OF STORY

I am sorry but I cannot take another headline of SLEDDER DIES IN AVY...

This is more then avoidable..and if I offended the people who have lost friends I'm SORRY..I'm one of them too...

Just my 2cents and had to rant:rant:

Ive been riding in the hills forever and every years the same, November to Fedruary is a bad time for avalanches. I feel so bad for the people who lost friends and family but this year really is no different just more enthusiest now thats all, I remember goin to Valemont on a weekend and only 4 or five trucks in the parking lots, now ur lucky if you get a spot at 6am saturday morning. I agree its totally avoidable. Mountains are fun but really dangerous.

johnny blaze

Reaction score
Im sorry I have to agree, these tragities where totally avoidable, I apoligize if this creates tensity I feel bad for who ever lost friends and family but ive been sledding in the mountains for a long time and every year is the same. Nov threw Feb is the worst time of year to be playing in the mountains. The snow is powdery and doesnt stick togather causeing huge avalanches. Every year is the same the only difference is there is way more enthusiests now. Remember going to Valemont for the weekend and ud be lucky to see a dozen trucks in the parking lots now ur lucky to get a spot its nuts. Careful out there peoples.

Top Bottom