atlas riding conditions

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And whatever else you have besides fingers the way this year has been!! I'll be home again the last week of the month, it'd be nice to get a couple more days riding before it gets parked. I saw a report the other day that the general lack of snow runs right from Alaska to the Sierra Nevada's in CA...apparently living on the east coast has its advantages this winter!! I haven't ridden up the valley at all, I'll have to try it one day.

C-Tracey

Reaction score
Website
www.sponsorhouse.com
Any snow? I haven't even taken my new build out on the snow except around here for a couple minutes...

Hey, we were up there yesterday and today, starting to get tracked out in spots and the snow is starting to melt on some of the corners on the road. But it was pretty good considering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14in on my driveway in bellevue this morning. Hit it quick, it won't be around long!

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heard a rumor about 40 cm this week any truth have not had enough seat time this yr and a day ride on sat is calling my name

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
heard a rumor about 40 cm this week any truth have not had enough seat time this yr and a day ride on sat is calling my name

Blair, here are the temps for the next 14 days in Fernie. Get out and enjoy what is on the ground as it doesn't look too promising.....

March 18-March 31High [°C]Low [°C]P.O.PConditions
Wednesday, March 18
Feels like
60%
16.png
Scattered flurries
Thursday, March 19
Feels like
30%
4.png
Cloudy with sunny breaks
Friday, March 20
Feels like
30%
3.png
A mix of sun and clouds
Saturday, March 21
Feels like
30%
4.png
Cloudy with sunny breaks
Sunday, March 22
Feels like
40%
13.png
Mixed precipitation
Monday, March 23
Feels like
20%
3.png
A mix of sun and clouds
Tuesday, March 24
Feels like
30%
28.png
Cloudy with showers
Wednesday, March 25
Feels like
90%
13.png
Mixed precipitation
Thursday, March 26
Feels like
20%
4.png
Cloudy with sunny breaks
Friday, March 27
Feels like
10%
1.png
Sunny
Saturday, March 28
Feels like
60%
6.png
Chance of a shower
Sunday, March 29
Feels like
40%
2.png
Mainly sunny
Monday, March 30
Feels like
10%
1.png
Sunny
Tuesday, March 31
Feels like
70%
28.png
Cloudy with showers

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it is a joke, checked weather forecast for Coleman nothing

Last edited:

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it is a joke, checked weather forecast for Coleman nothing
Drove through Sunday night. They had some snow. Wasn't much before coleman we almost had a bad accident because of the amount of snow. Not sure what is left but I imagine some good stuff still?

alberta60

Reaction score
Pic from yesterday at Dean's Park. Atlas road had snow right from the staging area, we parked at km 5 across from the old horse camp, as it was raining in the morning and wanted to make sure we had snow to ride on back to the truck. A few bare spots north of Racehorse creek near the cabin turnoff and closer to the staging area when we left at 3:30pm, and it was melting fast. Lots of good snow in the trees near window and really good at Dean's Park. Gonna go again tomorrow!
DSC01071.jpg

alberta60

Reaction score
We went again today (saturday the 28th), access is getting really tricky. Things were looking grim as we drove up, raining and windy. The atlas road alternates from snow/slush to gravel dozens of times between the staging area and the turnoff to Window. Just when you think its time to park the truck, come around the next corner and theres another 100m bare gravel section. It was really tricky getting to the cabin, lots of bare spots up between Racehorse creek and the turnoff for the cabin. Probably rode 500m of grass today. After the cabin to Deans park was excellent, 10+cm fresh above 1900m and near blizzard conditions in the early afternoon. Sun came out a little bit around 4pm and we had a great time in the trees between Window Mountain and the road.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took a drive up there without the sled just to have a look, you'd have to park about 9.5 km in before you find enough to ride on even on the road...about 3" of fresh on the road at that point. That was this morning, been snowing all day so it could be decent tomorrow. I was hoping to go but all my crew is busy.

TryHonesty

Reaction score
20150328_143309.jpg 20150328_161653_Small.jpg

Sorry for the delay in this update, we went out March 28th, first went to York, its mud for miles, you would have to drive up the road for an hour to find snow.

Got info from S&M that someone two days prior at that point, staged 5 kms up at the old horse ranch area and it started snowing like crazy. Before parking there i walked up the road aways to see if the snow stayed for getting at least to Window. Main staging area is a total mudbog.

Heading up the main trail we found bare patches everywhere, very sporadic. I believe this is because at elevation, snow would fall, drop a couple of hundred feet and it would turn to rain or slush, melting everything. Ducked left and right off the main road to the side trails to find snow to cool things down and got to the Window bowl trail turn off where things were very nice and snowy and headed up. Found lots of wet spring snow, near whiteout, so we stayed low and played in the trees, doing some low sidehills and lots and lots and lots of powder turns!!!! :D

Abandoned even going to the cabin but found the wooden chair and bridge the bears built for us.

Found one new cool trail to us shown above and wanted to proceed further but it had slid across in two places and we decided to turn back to avoid it sliding again potentially while we tried to sidehill our nooby asses around the bend.

All in all, a great day. My sidehilling is getting pretty decent the end of this second year in the mountains. Jordan perfers a ProRide chassis everyone, btw. he he he he. Hit the Rumrunner for burgers and beer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom