atlas riding conditions

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I can make it out on Sunday but I'll keep it in mind, thanks. FYI....it's an all out blizzard at the moment close to Atlas. I didn't get a chance to drive up and have a look but I'm thinking it might be a decent day there tomorrow.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live about 5 min from Atlas staging area, it's snowing and blowing right now and suppose to last all day....hopefully will be an improvement!!
I'll maybe take a drive up there later and see what it looks like, can post an update then.

Any updates?
Snowed around Okotoks most of yesterday and this morning and I heard the east slopes got some too.
How much is the big question...

Last edited:

edelhez

Reaction score
Have you had a chance to head up there!? Might head there next Monday just wondering if it's worth it

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took a drive to the staging area but there was just a skiff on the ground, might be better in the back by window...our blizzard yesterday didn't last long. I'd go for a burn up there tomorrow if anyone else wanted to go.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Drove to Calgary from the upper Elk Valley today. There is no significant snow anywhere. The biggest berm was by the compressor station and it was all of 2" high.

There could be more at elevation but along the valley bottoms it seemed like only enough to wet the sliders.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you home today to go for a ride or not till next Wed? I was thinking of going for a run this afternoon.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, I'll be heading back up to Edm on Monday for 3 weeks or so. At least we're still workin'!!

C-Tracey

Reaction score
Website
www.sponsorhouse.com
3 weeks is a long haul, I only do 2 and thats tough sometimes lol. We are gonna try and hit the Rolling Hills and Corbin, not sure on the days yet. Buddy of mine is coming down from Camrose Thursday night and riding for 3 days with us too. He's never been down here, so gonna try and find the good snow. Lol

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck with finding snow around Fernie. just saying
3 weeks is a long haul, I only do 2 and thats tough sometimes lol. We are gonna try and hit the Rolling Hills and Corbin, not sure on the days yet. Buddy of mine is coming down from Camrose Thursday night and riding for 3 days with us too. He's never been down here, so gonna try and find the good snow. Lol

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is out there...it's not that you have to know where to find it, just be willing to find it!! And with the kind of snow this year it allows you to go exploring in areas you can't get to when its straight powder. Enjoy the ride....beats the heck out of a good day at work!!:amen:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've rode around there enough, I'm pretty confident we can find it.

It is out there...it's not that you have to know where to find it, just be willing to find it!! And with the kind of snow this year it allows you to go exploring in areas you can't get to when its straight powder. Enjoy the ride....beats the heck out of a good day at work!!:amen:

Any pictures of what you found? Or even any stories????

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I took so long to reply FS, been tied up at work. I'm not much of a picture taker but I'm gonna have to start I guess! No secret areas to mention just the usual places that can be explored a little more because of the harder conditions...makes the boondocking a little easier and sometimes you can find smaller spots that haven't been touched. We rode Olney north of Whitefish about a month ago...they hadn't gotten as much rain as we did at that point but it was still a little crusty. Beautiful area and was well worth the trip...can't wait to go back under better conditions.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry I took so long to reply FS, been tied up at work. I'm not much of a picture taker but I'm gonna have to start I guess! No secret areas to mention just the usual places that can be explored a little more because of the harder conditions...makes the boondocking a little easier and sometimes you can find smaller spots that haven't been touched. We rode Olney north of Whitefish about a month ago...they hadn't gotten as much rain as we did at that point but it was still a little crusty. Beautiful area and was well worth the trip...can't wait to go back under better conditions.

Thanks. I have found that if one gets high enough and further north, the rain didn't quite have the same drastic results. The snow above 6500' and higher, and north of Sparwood was quite rideable. The problem has been that it has been so long since any amount of fresh has fallen that the areas are pretty much used up. I have to admit, I used up quite a bit of that untracked myself. There are places to ride but they are small and access is getting brutal. Coal Creek has the only smooth trail in the valley. The FSA has a great base on that trail and Foothills Silva Culture has done an awesome job of grooming this year.

Seems to be a system forecast for the area for the middle of the month. Just have to keep our fingers crossed...........:snow:

Top Bottom