• REGULAR W/ECU HOOKED UP

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • REGULAR W/ECU DISCONNECTED

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUPREME WITH RACE FUEL

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • HUSKY METHANOL/ETHANOL BLENDS

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • ANY FUEL I CAN GET MY HANDS ON(I DON'T CARE)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • ECU DISCONNECTED AND ANY FUEL

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Don't own a Kitty...just wanna see the poll

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
simmilar question...I guess...far as oil mix goes my sled says "use only Arctic Cat 50:1 oil mix" today I dumped 1/2 a liter of doo mix into it...anyone figure I f%&ed my sled...

I had just finished putting the new sprokets and chain on it and was horney for a rip after riding the wifes summit for the past 2 weeks...oil was low and it was what I had.

Bogger:beer:

Hell no,It will be fine.Its not the oil with doo's,Its the motor!
catmando!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been preachin this for years to all the Cat guys... Run Regular only. Why throw away an extra 10 cents / litre everytime you fill up with premium. Cats are tuned to run on 87... alllll of them. I have run 87 for years and have yet to have a burn down or detination.

The plug needs to stay connected. Only disconnect for ethenol blended fuel as it burns leaner, if you want to be extra safe :rolleyes:. I used to run Mohawk ethenol reg. and left the plug connected just to lean out a bit and no harm... cleaned it up a bit as Cats run rich as it is.

Ofcourse this applies to stock machines. If you have a head cut etc. you may want to run premium and leave the plug connected.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been preachin this for years to all the Cat guys... Run Regular only. Why throw away an extra 10 cents / litre everytime you fill up with premium. Cats are tuned to run on 87... alllll of them. I have run 87 for years and have yet to have a burn down or detination.

The plug needs to stay connected. Only disconnect for ethenol blended fuel as it burns leaner, if you want to be extra safe :rolleyes:. I used to run Mohawk ethenol reg. and left the plug connected just to lean out a bit and no harm... cleaned it up a bit as Cats run rich as it is.

Ofcourse this applies to stock machines. If you have a head cut etc. you may want to run premium and leave the plug connected.

Damn ,So where your church,(I missed the sermin!
Thanks Scotty!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOL .. the sermin has been on S&M over and over again :d:d Cat Section!!!

Ya but I own three so there is really no reason to go there,there so damn good LOL!
catmando!

wildwest

Reaction score
i have 07 m1000 07 600 crossfire 05 m500 3rd winter of running these machinces on 91 octance, plugged in , never had an issue and they run strong.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 07 m1000 07 600 crossfire 05 m500 3rd winter of running these machinces on 91 octance, plugged in , never had an issue and they run strong.

Try 87 and you might see an improvement in performance. Forget the savings at the pump. Just try it as far as performance goes??? Let us know what you see?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprised to see so many stock sleds running 91!! A big waste of money and does nothing for performance, especially at our elevation of 2500' and up. Those Eastern guys often need to run 91 at sea level, but not us here, and Cat specifies 87 for stock sleds. You WILL see better performance as Scott mentions.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will be sure to let you know after this weekend,Already drained the crappy good fuel out of it LOL!
catmando!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catmando... what sled are you riding? 900? just wondering. Let us know if you see any difference, good or bad. I'm sure you will see no loss in performance and maybe even an improvement.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprised to see so many stock sleds running 91!! A big waste of money and does nothing for performance, especially at our elevation of 2500' and up. Those Eastern guys often need to run 91 at sea level, but not us here, and Cat specifies 87 for stock sleds. You WILL see better performance as Scott mentions.

Duane... the elevation issue as you mention is a variable when it comes to octane, good point!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother ran 91 in his 06 M7 last year and is running 87 this winter and he noticed a big difference in throttle response. I think you can still run regular even with reeds, pipe, intake and can. Once you add the boondocker control box or increase compression you have to run premium.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother ran 91 in his 06 M7 last year and is running 87 this winter and he noticed a big difference in throttle response. I think you can still run regular even with reeds, pipe, intake and can. Once you add the boondocker control box or increase compression you have to run premium.

Agree. Even with slight compression increases as long as your pulls are not too long.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you increase compression, ei head cut etc. you need to run 91 for sure, reduces the possibility of detination. Rebuilding a 600 cat vev (brothers) in my shop right now. Possible detination, not sure. He was burning 91 at the time of failure, even after my lecture on 87. Looks like the ring pin let go on the piston and the ring spun around and caught the exhst. port. FUN!!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Catmando... what sled are you riding? 900? just wondering. Let us know if you see any difference, good or bad. I'm sure you will see no loss in performance and maybe even an improvement.

I will be riding my 900 on sat and will let you guys know for sure!
catmando!

xfire1000

Reaction score
i run 91 in my xfire, just the same as i always have in any small engine, but 87 from what i gather make better hp, and with the knock sensor the machine will adv/retard the timing as needed to prevent spark knoc/det....just force of habbit at the pumps i guess...

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Put a good days ride in yesterday,drained out all the fuel and replaced it with 87 octane fuel and there is no doubt in my mind that it made a difference.Bottom end was more crisp and did seem to perform a little better.
Didnt and wont disconnect the Ethenol plug!
catmando!

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im heading out here sood and am doing the same test. filled her up with regular. hope i get good results too!!!

Top Bottom