Anyone pour concrete?

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
the re-bar thing stated above is important and always over looked,your rebar has to be seated off the ground in ALL applications, and should be approx 3-4" below finished surface. also the ground work HAS to be done right, most important part, level, good compaction, 4-6 inches of gravel on either native (undisturbed) ground or properly dug and compacted ground

i will throw out a recommendation......there is a company called the Swat Team....very good, lots of experience, but are busy and would probably need time to get you in, i do commercial const. and we use them a lot, currently waiting for them to be freed up to do a pour for us.....but we use them for a reason

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rebar is definitly a must, however, it does not matter how big or how close of spacing the rebar is if the finishers leave it laying on the ground when they pour the concrete. I see this all to often, may as well not even put any rebar in it. The finishers need to lift up the rebar while they place the concrete.
Alberta Residential Building code for outdoor flatwork concrete 32mpa with 5-8percent air.

Alberta Residential Building code for garage floors 30mpa with 5-8 percent air.

I think you've got the wrong codes. You DO NOT use air in a garage pad. Because you cannot powertrowel it, and it doesn't even hand finish as well. Up until a few years ago it was 27.5 MPA, now it's up to 30 MPA I believe. The city specs for sidewalks, etc are still 30 MPA, as i'm currently doing one.

Yes took out MANY driveways with it in the dirt and yea it doesn't do to good. It is sad many are to lazy to lift it.

Do post pics of the sidewalk, we can be critics on how it's being done :d

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ZRrr A lot of guys ask for a deposit only to insure a little payment, i have a job where a client still owes me $4800 from april and as for your rebar 24oc is standard but for tying into your existing pad why go with 32 centers when your grid is 24oc. Personally the rebar tying in makes sense but otherwise your gonna have a nice strong pad

Born2Ride

Reaction score
No code is correct check it out. You are right though air entrained concrete is not supposed to be power troweled. Lots of crews are hand wiping garages with steel and thats it. Floor is not so slippery that way in the winter.
Slightly harder to sweep though.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ZRrr A lot of guys ask for a deposit only to insure a little payment, i have a job where a client still owes me $4800 from april and as for your rebar 24oc is standard but for tying into your existing pad why go with 32 centers when your grid is 24oc. Personally the rebar tying in makes sense but otherwise your gonna have a nice strong pad

Got burned on a $1000 down deal once. Once bitten, twice shy. I still believe in a genltemens handshake, but any good/reputable company I have used since did not need up front money. Too bad how one guy and can screw it up for the rest....typical. I now have a contract to use if needed as well. Good thing was the jerk left some of his tools. Probably were stolen for all I know. I can usually read people pretty good, but this guy sure pulled the wool over our eyes. Good con artist. Still keeping my eyes open for him...I have a personal message to deliver.

I agree that 24 O/C would be better, just gave out the specs from the engineers drawing.

Time to start making more calls.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple fisherman came by today.......

One looking to catch $16.41/Sq
One looking to catch $16.45/Sq

Had a reputable company that does quality work come by. Offered same specs at $9.95/Sq.

Wow eh!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Sidewalk is finished they are going to come by tomorrow and pull the forms and back fill around it.
I'm real happy with the work they did and the professionalism they kept the work site neat and clean the one guy that did all the screeding and the trowling has been doing it since 1964 and it was less than $12 a square foot including concrete

These guys don't do too many smaller jobs they do mostly new home builds and insurance claims which they are up to their neck in in Macwean redoing driveways
If you want the name and number PM me

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sidewalk is finished they are going to come by tomorrow and pull the forms and back fill around it.
I'm real happy with the work they did and the professionalism they kept the work site neat and clean the one guy that did all the screeding and the trowling has been doing it since 1964 and it was less than $12 a square foot including concrete

These guys don't do too many smaller jobs they do mostly new home builds and insurance claims which they are up to their neck in in Macwean redoing driveways
If you want the name and number PM me

Post some pictures please :d I always like to see other peoples work. That is a pretty good deal for a sidewalk. Good to hear your happy. Yep a lot of old guys still doing it, funny how guys in their 70's can do physical work better then a lot in their 20's. I said screw this i'm going back to school after about 7 :d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
baby boomers vs melenials. hard workers and stay in one place. us young guys can only take it so long

I think the problem is, many young people got it to easy. Look at how many don't wanna work? And how many guys in their 60's or 70's who say they don't want to retire. I guess it is different growing up now vs then, but sure makes kids look lazy :d

Top Bottom