Any one on here from the Smithers Area

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here is from the Smithers area? I grew up there and still spend half my time there. If so, what do you ride?

Thanks,
Jason E

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
Doo you know what the conditions are like in Smithers, Terrace, Houston, area. 3 of us going there Dec. 26- Jan. 3 . Any recommended places to ride and what type of ridding. This is the guys trip to check out the area before we bring the group up for a ride;);););) Any advice that you can provide will help focus the trip or should we use the old method of exploring new areas HARD AND FAST gets the job done. The other two guys want to know if there is a new years dance they are always up for a good cougar hunt.:nono:

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
Doo you know what the conditions are like in Smithers, Terrace, Houston, area. 3 of us going there Dec. 26- Jan. 3 . Any recommended places to ride and what type of ridding. This is the guys trip to check out the area before we bring the group up for a ride;);););) Any advice that you can provide will help focus the trip or should we use the old method of exploring new areas HARD AND FAST gets the job done. The other two guys want to know if there is a new years dance they are always up for a good cougar hunt.:nono:

I have been in Kamloops for the last three months, so I am not sure what the current conditions are like. I have heard that there is only decent snow on the West side of the valley. If that is the case, the best spots in the Smithers/Telkwa area should be the Microwave and Sinclair. There is two ways into the mic, the pine creek trail is only half an hour outside of Smithers, and the other one is alot longer (depending on how far you can drive.) Both areas have lots of climbing, but the trails in can be brutal.

I hope to be up there riding this weekend, hope this helps,

Jason E

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I lived in smithers from '86 to '97.. I don't know if the back way up the mic will be open yet, usually gets pushed open in beginning of Jan. I always loved riding the dome.. It was so much fun playin in the meadows.. And no matter what time of year you can always find powder.

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
Hey there. I lived in smithers from '86 to '97.. I don't know if the back way up the mic will be open yet, usually gets pushed open in beginning of Jan. I always loved riding the dome.. It was so much fun playin in the meadows.. And no matter what time of year you can always find powder.

Pine Creek trail into the Microwave was opened up in early December this year. I didn't ride it until December 29th, but it was in great shape at the time; the road in is really rough now. Last time I rode the Dome mountain was Jan 5th, and it was so rough that I won't ride it again until it gets groomed. Harold Price is in awsome shape, but I am afraid that I pretty much burned up all the powder:rolleyes:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yah.. I had alot of good times around the mountains there. I spent alot the time up the mountains in the summer.. When i lived there i worked at trac & Trail and then it became smithers equipment.

jay_boom

Reaction score
I grew up in smithers/telkwa riding mostly the mic and sinclair, occasionally the onion. moved to red deer 5 years ago unfortunatly haha but still go back every year

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey man! i live in smithers and love the sledding there. Its one of the only places i know of that you can drive less then an hour and have a choice of 5 or 6 different riding area's.

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
hey man! i live in smithers and love the sledding there. Its one of the only places i know of that you can drive less then an hour and have a choice of 5 or 6 different riding area's.

Cool, what do you ride and what areas are your favorite? I haven't been riding much, been kinda busy going to university in Kamloops, but I write my last exam in a week, so next year should be a good year.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Oh yah. I miss that... How long have you lived in smithers?

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
The sledding in Smithers is second to none we had a blast. We rode dome for the two days that where cloudy you just have to love all the meadows and the insane climbs in the trees the creeks suck and don't trust the lakes they really suck. Rode Onion one day in the sun and had a blast lots of good climbing and love the trees. Rode the Mic. the last day in the sun what a huge area crazy climbs great snow this riding was different than we are used to you ride the ridges and drop into the areas many times we sat on top and called each other chicken/pussy etc. until one would drop in then let the games begin. All the time we were there 6 trucks (one sled per truck) in the parking lot was considered busy all areas had great cabins and short rides in to the alpine the bad part is I think the groomer broke 4 years ago the trail was bumpy to say the least. You live in sledding heaven it’s just a bit long of a drive we will be back.

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
The sledding in Smithers is second to none we had a blast. We rode dome for the two days that where cloudy you just have to love all the meadows and the insane climbs in the trees the creeks suck and don't trust the lakes they really suck. Rode Onion one day in the sun and had a blast lots of good climbing and love the trees. Rode the Mic. the last day in the sun what a huge area crazy climbs great snow this riding was different than we are used to you ride the ridges and drop into the areas many times we sat on top and called each other chicken/pussy etc. until one would drop in then let the games begin. All the time we were there 6 trucks (one sled per truck) in the parking lot was considered busy all areas had great cabins and short rides in to the alpine the bad part is I think the groomer broke 4 years ago the trail was bumpy to say the least. You live in sledding heaven it’s just a bit long of a drive we will be back.

Grooming has been a problem at times for different reasons. A lack of people that are willing and able to run the BRs is the most common problem, but some of our trails are not large anough for a snowcat. Other trails are not legal, and the club is not allowed to groom them.
What way did you ride into the Mic? The club is not supposed to groom the pine creek trail, as it is not a recognized trail.
I haven't really been able to ride in to many other locations, so I can't compare it to other places.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode in blue rivir this past weekend, ansd it was awesome.. It actually reminded me alot of the dome.. A ton a good tree/meadow riding . Aswell as some good climbin.. Was ridin a rt1000 on boost was awesome as well as rodee a "06 800 with an 827 kit it rocked to. The day prior i rode a "07 800 with 860 big bore kit and that was just flat out awesome, we rode in an area called allen creek(in valemont), it was alot like the mic.. All these places i will definitely go back to..

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
I rode in blue rivir this past weekend, ansd it was awesome.. It actually reminded me alot of the dome.. A ton a good tree/meadow riding . Aswell as some good climbin.. Was ridin a rt1000 on boost was awesome as well as rodee a "06 800 with an 827 kit it rocked to. The day prior i rode a "07 800 with 860 big bore kit and that was just flat out awesome, we rode in an area called allen creek(in valemont), it was alot like the mic.. All these places i will definitely go back to..

Sounds like those three sleds combined are probably worth as much as my anual salary:eek:

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, sounds like an awesome area.... I'll need to find out more info and plan a trip for next season....

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, sounds like an awesome area.... I'll need to find out more info and plan a trip for next season....

Oh yes this area is awesome.. If you are there it might also be an idea to look into hittin up stewart for ride to.. The riding there is slat out awesome aswell.. In stewart you are on the alaska border..

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
Oh yes this area is awesome.. If you are there it might also be an idea to look into hittin up stewart for ride to.. The riding there is slat out awesome aswell.. In stewart you are on the alaska border..

I hear that is easier to find true love than sunsine in Stewart every day that we where in Smithers with sun Stewart was snowing It might be a better spring ride.

Top Bottom