Antelope?

donnie

Reaction score
Just read in a magazine that Antelope populations are low and hunting will be difficult. Not reassuring given it took us 9 years to get drawn. Anyone live around Medicine Hat and can back up the low pop's?

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always see quite a few of them speed goats around Brooks when I work down there...

donnie

Reaction score
My first choice was Brooks but i got 2nd choices for all my draws, and for antelope that put me around Medicine Hat. Seen any recently around brooks? If there at brooks they would surely be further south.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't work out there too often thank jeebus. See nice one's around patrica and princess. Back there again in oct for a few days is all I hope

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a 60-70% winter kill two years ago, tag releases have dropped sustantially. Took me 11 years for my tag two years ago and we saw about 100 animals where the farmers said there used to be about 400. Pretty cool wen they charge in on the decoys but they are not stupid, don't walk backwards with the decoy or they bolt. I would go practice shooting on windy days to prep for southern Alberta but I missed on all three shots I had. Wind drift on my arrow at 56 yards was about three feet. Was there for 10 dyas and other than early morning it's friggin windy.
Deep snow and lack of ability to get to sage is what killed them off, we hunted between Foremost to the US border by the Sweetgrass mountains nice country.

I would suggest calling the local conservation officers, they were really helpfull when we were down there. They will tell you where the animals are at and local populations then get country map, I was suprised at how easy it was to get farmer permission as long as you walked in. Good luck, they are fun little buggers to hunt.

donnie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have general tag and have been practicing with the .308 compound:). Got the wind down up to 500yds on a 10" pie plate. Last time we went, the farmers were bringing their tractors up to us and giving directions and permission, couldn't believe it. I might try conservation officers too.

donnie

Reaction score
Heading out Sunday. Will post pic's for anyone else looking.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over the last ten years there has been a huge drop in population around here. I remember seeing groups of 25+ nearly everytime I went to brooks. I rarely see any of them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

donnie

Reaction score
I got my antelope. After driving 3-400kms and not seeing anything, my dad decided he wouldn't shoot any antelope until the numbers are back. Everything we seen was in a 40km radius and guys were driving between each other and across fields just to skunk each other. We turned around everytime and found another heard to scope out. Seen about 70 total including areas not in our zone. Will post a pic when i get it figured out.

donnie

Reaction score
About time i posted that pic. Ends up about 14" each side. Definitely a neat animal. 368 yard shot with .308win savage model 12 VLP DBM.
PA210399.jpg

Top Bottom