Alberta government working on licensing for home builder

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
C***suckers

sent while drinking tea's
You agree that non-ticketed auto techs should be able to do all the same things for the same rates as journeymen?

On the other hand....it's just another step in the NDP leftist playbook....licenses/permits to do ANYTHING so they can get $$$ and control everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that's why, just more money

And no, non ticketed tech should never get same, ya get what ya pay for lmfao

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But you know I know guys that are ticketed that couldnt build a brick **** house right but a guy with no ticket builds a thousand times better, technicians at ford ticketeted guys couldn't even bolt my rear diff cap shut, so just cause you have your ticket doesn't mean anything to me

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But you know I know guys that are ticketed that couldnt build a brick **** house right but a guy with no ticket builds a thousand times better, technicians at ford ticketeted guys couldn't even bolt my rear diff cap shut, so just cause you have your ticket doesn't mean anything to me

And wtf is the point of a building inspector than?!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh there is bad trades people with tickets in every trade, forsure

Some is either not show right or just no due care and attention

But having said that, lots and I mean lots of back yard guys, do stuff so bad it's way worse in my mind

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And wtf is the point of a building inspector than?!!
The "inspectors" that I witnessed on my last build (3 yrs ago) weren't worth the gas to drive out here. Private inspection agencies who work for and are paid by the general contractor....can't tell me they inspect things to hit code. (you could tell me, but I can prove they don't)

Now if I had the slightest indication that the NDPs are doing this to actually protect the home buyer, I might think this is a decent idea. But history indicates that the NDPs couldn't give a squeeze of p!ss about anyone who can afford a house. It's all about money extraction.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is just like the new mandatory insurance, that wasn't for homeowners, that was trying to squeeze the little builders out, it was all done by the big ones. I wouldn't be surprised if this one is too. A ticket means nothing. That new insurance is a joke, wanna know how many inspections they did on my first build? Two. Yep all that extra protection for the guy to come out before framing began and again during it. City or insurance inspections, they are both useless.

And what is the point about "not in debt" have to do with building homes? That is a huge attack at the little guys. If they want some kind of plan to ensure they have funds to build sure, but the government looking at financials? It will be a cold day in hell before I provide that. Of course the only input they want is from the big ones, who on average build the ****tiest homes. Big builders like Qualico tell the city inspectors to go f*ck themselves and keep going and do whatever they feel like, all the while putting out a presence they build quality, but in reality it's garbage.

Any bet it's like a day or weekend course, but with a big hefty yearly fee? So it's only putting putting extra costs on the little guys, and not even a blip on the radar for the big ones? If you want it fair, make it a dollar amount per house built.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could not agree more !!
As if the big builders that take the course are the ones actually doing the building ...
What's joke ..!
This will lead to higher prices & substantially lower quality in most houses ...
As well as the constant loss of jobs in rural communities
, it's easy to tell the NDP has it out for rural hardworking Albertans , who by enlarge don't support NDP ideology.
19 can't get here fast enough ... !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could not agree more !!
As if the big builders that take the course are the ones actually doing the building ...
What's joke ..!
This will lead to higher prices & substantially lower quality in most houses ...
As well as the constant loss of jobs in rural communities
, it's easy to tell the NDP has it out for rural hardworking Albertans , who by enlarge don't support NDP ideology.
19 can't get here fast enough ... !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I foresee it causing even more arrogance in some people too. There is a certain amount of small builders that shouldn't be around, but these pencilpushers will target the wrong ones. It's the one's who have the funds to do so, but don't know a fawking thing about building and as a trade you have to hold their hand. I'm so sick of it, and am to the point I refuse to do it, even if it means loosing work. If you can't read a stakeout or plans for example, you shouldn't be building houses, if you want to, hire a competent general because you can't do it yourself and cause nothing but problems. But these are the ones who know how to do all the paperwork, you know the important stuff right? :rolleyes: The ones they want to target are the ones who have been in the industry forever and know what they are doing on the job, but don't know as much about the paperwork BS.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All it is to hurt the working man anymore, how about touring around to see who's on welfare and if they really deserve it, how about watching the line up at the food banks while they're out there smoking and drive up in a fancy truck, When 2019 gets here Alberta is gonna be so worn down that it's gonna take years to spring back up from this, it's just a joke anymore

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they want to help the building industry get rid of private inspections thru out industry and have government take it over that way guys like qualico will have to pay attention, most inspectors now are a friggen joke not only building but ALL trades.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a welder and when I apply for a job just about immediately they ask for my cards. I thought all trades were like that . I talked with a guy once and he made it sound like a lot of house builders weren't ticketed. Hopefully someone can say no he's full of it. Ya there are dummies in trades but you should be able to have a bit of peace of mind that a employer teamed that guy up with or at least had a journeyman watch over him to make sure the job was done well. I would hate to see our industry if we didn't have the apprenticeship program. I'm not a house builder so maybe I have over stepped my knowledge of this area. Always was impressed with what you guys could do with some boards.

Stockorwalk

Reaction score
This sounds like more red tape to deal with that will not really effect quality of construction. Another cost to provide some more govt jobs that in the end will just be passed on to the customer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I foresee it causing even more arrogance in some people too. There is a certain amount of small builders that shouldn't be around, but these pencilpushers will target the wrong ones. It's the one's who have the funds to do so, but don't know a fawking thing about building and as a trade you have to hold their hand. I'm so sick of it, and am to the point I refuse to do it, even if it means loosing work. If you can't read a stakeout or plans for example, you shouldn't be building houses, if you want to, hire a competent general because you can't do it yourself and cause nothing but problems. But these are the ones who know how to do all the paperwork, you know the important stuff right? :rolleyes: The ones they want to target are the ones who have been in the industry forever and know what they are doing on the job, but don't know as much about the paperwork BS.

Sounds like you know a bit about arrogance....

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how this is gonna sink the smaller building companies, this is what I'm not quite understanding thanks

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how this is gonna sink the smaller building companies, this is what I'm not quite understanding thanks

It's not necessarily going to sink them, but it's giving the bigger builders more of an advantage because the cost per house will be dependent on how many homes you build. Take the new warranty for example, a smaller builder will need to put down $10-20k deposit held for 5 years, in some cases per house depending on qualifications. The big builders didn't change anything, and aren't putting another penny down. Add in yearly membership fee that isn't dependent on how many homes you build, it comes out to a bit of a cost increase for the small guy, nothing for the big ones. I mean if the membership for this is say $3k a year, and you build 1-2 homes a year, that's making a decent difference. If you build 500 homes a year it's not even an expense.

If this was actually going to improve quality in homes and there was equal enforcement for small and big guys, i'd be all for it, but it's not. Every single one of these is aimed at the little builders, and everyone seems to think the big ones are building these quality homes. Most people would be dumbfounded if they knew what was behind their walls in a home built by someone like qualico, etc. Ultimately, it's just another expense and red tape that is not benefiting anyone and the cost will be passed onto the buyer for no benefit. Look up the new warranty guidelines, it is absolutely pathetic what is actually covered.

Top Bottom