Alberta Election

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better to have a party that makes an honest mistake than a dishonest one like the pork barrelling PC's have since Ralph left.
Unless that "honest mistake" is irreversible. Like the deregulation of the power industry.........Good one Ralphy.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Well, I can see there are some strong opinions here, many easily countered but like I said before, not looking for a gunfight, just curious to see what others think. Danielle made a heck of a speech this morning. And much to everyones suprise and speculation that she may FIRE the outspoken people in her team, she did the opposite and stood up for them...I like this girl and what the WR stands for more and more each day...Oh, and not enough experience, that is a cop out to any PC supporter as 41 yrs ago, they too had no experience yet we voted them in and gave them free reign for 41 years. Some were good, some not so good...

Here is a copy of the speech if you are interested:

Today I want to talk about the historic choice facing Albertans next Monday.
All political leaders talk about the future during election campaigns. It’s our job, to offer a vision of where we want to lead, and how we intend to get there.
Our Wildrose party has laid out a very clear, practical and affordable plan for Alberta over the course of the campaign.
We have pledged to balance the budget immediately without raising taxes or cutting front-line government services, and to begin rebuilding the Heritage fund from budget surpluses.
We have pledged to help families with new child tax credits and a ban on school fees.
We have pledged to distribute tax-free energy dividends to all Albertans from budget surpluses. We have pledged to improve public healthcare by guaranteeing timely patient access to necessary medical procedures.
And we have pledged to replace the old PC culture of corruption and entitlement with a Wildrose culture of honesty, democracy, and accountability.
Early in the campaign, on the second day in fact, Alison Redford laid out her PC vision for the future of our province.
She declared that Alberta today is quote, “a different community…a different society,” and described the election as an opportunity to, quote, “make some…long-term decisions that will change the character of our province.”
Ms Redford, you’re wrong. Albertans don’t want or need a change of character, they want a change in government to reflect the strong, noble and freedom-loving character of Albertans.
After a month of campaigning, we still don’t know what Ms. Redford thinks is wrong with the character of our province, what she wants to change it to, or how she proposes to do it.
She hasn’t addressed the character issue since day one.
Except to attack my character, and the character of my Wildrose candidates and supporters.
Today I want to address those attacks.
My roots in Alberta are as deep as they get.
My great grandmother Mary Crow was a member of the Cherokee Nation that had been forcibly relocated from the southeastern United States to the Oklahoma territory in the 1830s by the U.S. Government, a terrible stain on the history of America known as the Trail of Tears.
Eventually her descendants found their way to Alberta.
My paternal great grandfather Philipus Kolodnicki arrived here from the Ukraine around the time of the Great War. A customs agent unfamiliar with the concept of multiculturalism renamed him – and therefore me – with the last name Smith. Alberta was good to him too.
So as a person of mixed race ancestry, I take it personally when accusations of racism and bigotry are aimed at me and my party.
Let me be perfectly clear – a Wildrose government will not tolerate discrimination against any individual based on their ethnicity, religion, beliefs, background, disability or sexual orientation … period.
And I know and expect my Wildrose candidates, regardless of what ethnicity they come from or what personal beliefs they might have, will speak to and wholeheartedly serve every one of their diverse and unique constituents.
All Albertans are welcome in my Wildrose party and in the province I seek to be Premier of – not just the ones I agree with – not just the ones who would vote for me. I’m running to serve all Albertans – every…single…one.
These charges against me and my party are the last futile gasps of a frightened 41-year old government and its allies.
The Wildrose candidates and supporters in this room and all over Alberta know the truth.
They know the stereotypes are bogus, and often used by liberal political parties when they feel threatened by conservatives.
Usually, though, the stereotypes are aimed at Albertans from outside the province.
What’s uncommon in this election, and particularly reprehensible, is that they are being used by Albertans, against fellow Albertans.
Let me introduce you to somebody you should know because he’s a smart young man with a great future in Alberta.
His name is Ali Waissi.
Like my ancestors, he’s got a meandering history that wound up in Alberta. He’s Kurdish, from Iran, by way of Iraq, which means his people know quite a bit about racism and religious persecution.
Ali loves Alberta. He loves the character of Alberta.
That’s why he’s managing Ron Leech’s campaign.
Ali knows the truth about Ron. He knows that his friend Ron has made his career in service to new Canadians from virtually every cultural background living in Calgary for the last 30 years. Ron is a good person who made a statement last week that was wrong, and hurtful to many in our friends in this diverse community. When he realized his mistake he apologized immediately, and he did so again last night. If I believed he was a racist I would have fired him. But he’s not. He simply misspoke.
I understand, but most importantly Ali understands, that one misspoken sentence does not erase a lifetime of good works, tolerance and service. And I understand and Ali understands that when mistakes are made and sincere apologies given – the Alberta way is to accept it, forgive and move on rather than to pursue the politics of division.
Our Wildrose candidates and the vast majority of Albertans all understand these principles.
They know we have a proud history of welcoming people from all over the world.
They know that cultural and religious diversity is one of our province’s greatest strengths.
They know we have been at the forefront in Canada in the fight for equality rights for over a century.
And they know that our commitment to equality is rooted in our shared devotion to individual freedom.
On Monday, for the first time in our history – one way or the other -Albertans will elect a woman premier.
In doing so we will fulfill the vision of the Famous Five, the Alberta suffragettes of the early 20th century who led the battle in Canada for gender equality.
I can’t tell you how proud I will be to have a role in fulfilling that vision.
But that’s just one reason Monday’s election represents an historic choice for Albertans.
It’s also an historic choice between the Redford PCs who want to change our character to satisfy someone else’s idea of who we should be, and a new Wildrose government that will uphold the traditions of tolerance, and freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, that have been hallmarks of Alberta’s character for over a century.
The historic choice on Monday is between a tired and increasingly intolerant Redford PC government that wants to overthrow a century of Alberta history and the values that have made us a welcoming sanctuary and place of opportunity for people from all over the world, And a Wildrose government that will honour our history, uphold our values and convictions, and celebrate the unique and noble character of the Alberta we love.
Thank you.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I can see there are some strong opinions here, many easily countered but like I said before, not looking for a gunfight, just curious to see what others think. Danielle made a heck of a speech this morning. And much to everyones suprise and speculation that she may FIRE the outspoken people in her team, she did the opposite and stood up for them...I like this girl and what the WR stands for more and more each day...Oh, and not enough experience, that is a cop out to any PC supporter as 41 yrs ago, they too had no experience yet we voted them in and gave them free reign for 41 years. Some were good, some not so good...

Here is a copy of the speech if you are interested:

Today I want to talk about the historic choice facing Albertans next Monday.
All political leaders talk about the future during election campaigns. It’s our job, to offer a vision of where we want to lead, and how we intend to get there.
Our Wildrose party has laid out a very clear, practical and affordable plan for Alberta over the course of the campaign.
We have pledged to balance the budget immediately without raising taxes or cutting front-line government services, and to begin rebuilding the Heritage fund from budget surpluses.
We have pledged to help families with new child tax credits and a ban on school fees.
We have pledged to distribute tax-free energy dividends to all Albertans from budget surpluses. We have pledged to improve public healthcare by guaranteeing timely patient access to necessary medical procedures.
And we have pledged to replace the old PC culture of corruption and entitlement with a Wildrose culture of honesty, democracy, and accountability.
Early in the campaign, on the second day in fact, Alison Redford laid out her PC vision for the future of our province.
She declared that Alberta today is quote, “a different community…a different society,” and described the election as an opportunity to, quote, “make some…long-term decisions that will change the character of our province.”
Ms Redford, you’re wrong. Albertans don’t want or need a change of character, they want a change in government to reflect the strong, noble and freedom-loving character of Albertans.
After a month of campaigning, we still don’t know what Ms. Redford thinks is wrong with the character of our province, what she wants to change it to, or how she proposes to do it.
She hasn’t addressed the character issue since day one.
Except to attack my character, and the character of my Wildrose candidates and supporters.
Today I want to address those attacks.
My roots in Alberta are as deep as they get.
My great grandmother Mary Crow was a member of the Cherokee Nation that had been forcibly relocated from the southeastern United States to the Oklahoma territory in the 1830s by the U.S. Government, a terrible stain on the history of America known as the Trail of Tears.
Eventually her descendants found their way to Alberta.
My paternal great grandfather Philipus Kolodnicki arrived here from the Ukraine around the time of the Great War. A customs agent unfamiliar with the concept of multiculturalism renamed him – and therefore me – with the last name Smith. Alberta was good to him too.
So as a person of mixed race ancestry, I take it personally when accusations of racism and bigotry are aimed at me and my party.
Let me be perfectly clear – a Wildrose government will not tolerate discrimination against any individual based on their ethnicity, religion, beliefs, background, disability or sexual orientation … period.
And I know and expect my Wildrose candidates, regardless of what ethnicity they come from or what personal beliefs they might have, will speak to and wholeheartedly serve every one of their diverse and unique constituents.
All Albertans are welcome in my Wildrose party and in the province I seek to be Premier of – not just the ones I agree with – not just the ones who would vote for me. I’m running to serve all Albertans – every…single…one.
These charges against me and my party are the last futile gasps of a frightened 41-year old government and its allies.
The Wildrose candidates and supporters in this room and all over Alberta know the truth.
They know the stereotypes are bogus, and often used by liberal political parties when they feel threatened by conservatives.
Usually, though, the stereotypes are aimed at Albertans from outside the province.
What’s uncommon in this election, and particularly reprehensible, is that they are being used by Albertans, against fellow Albertans.
Let me introduce you to somebody you should know because he’s a smart young man with a great future in Alberta.
His name is Ali Waissi.
Like my ancestors, he’s got a meandering history that wound up in Alberta. He’s Kurdish, from Iran, by way of Iraq, which means his people know quite a bit about racism and religious persecution.
Ali loves Alberta. He loves the character of Alberta.
That’s why he’s managing Ron Leech’s campaign.
Ali knows the truth about Ron. He knows that his friend Ron has made his career in service to new Canadians from virtually every cultural background living in Calgary for the last 30 years. Ron is a good person who made a statement last week that was wrong, and hurtful to many in our friends in this diverse community. When he realized his mistake he apologized immediately, and he did so again last night. If I believed he was a racist I would have fired him. But he’s not. He simply misspoke.
I understand, but most importantly Ali understands, that one misspoken sentence does not erase a lifetime of good works, tolerance and service. And I understand and Ali understands that when mistakes are made and sincere apologies given – the Alberta way is to accept it, forgive and move on rather than to pursue the politics of division.
Our Wildrose candidates and the vast majority of Albertans all understand these principles.
They know we have a proud history of welcoming people from all over the world.
They know that cultural and religious diversity is one of our province’s greatest strengths.
They know we have been at the forefront in Canada in the fight for equality rights for over a century.
And they know that our commitment to equality is rooted in our shared devotion to individual freedom.
On Monday, for the first time in our history – one way or the other -Albertans will elect a woman premier.
In doing so we will fulfill the vision of the Famous Five, the Alberta suffragettes of the early 20th century who led the battle in Canada for gender equality.
I can’t tell you how proud I will be to have a role in fulfilling that vision.
But that’s just one reason Monday’s election represents an historic choice for Albertans.
It’s also an historic choice between the Redford PCs who want to change our character to satisfy someone else’s idea of who we should be, and a new Wildrose government that will uphold the traditions of tolerance, and freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, that have been hallmarks of Alberta’s character for over a century.
The historic choice on Monday is between a tired and increasingly intolerant Redford PC government that wants to overthrow a century of Alberta history and the values that have made us a welcoming sanctuary and place of opportunity for people from all over the world, And a Wildrose government that will honour our history, uphold our values and convictions, and celebrate the unique and noble character of the Alberta we love.
Thank you.

If you are directing your comments it at me, I am not disagreeing with you...she is a smart lady, well spoken with a steller future. But I think it would be to her's and our best interest if she "got a seat" first, learned the workings of the govt from the inside and then next term....take the role!
It's like an up & comer in the boxing industry.....the coach knows he has a winner on his hands but he doesn't throw the beginner boxer in the ring with the champs on his 1st fight because that could ruin a career before it starts....you train them, hone them to be a champ. then when they're ready, let them fight the big dogs.
I think Danielle will have her day. She is young and has a lot of years ahead. But with her lack of experience, I don't feel this is the right time to throw her in the ring (of leading this province).

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
If you are directing your comments it at me, I am not disagreeing with you...she is a smart lady, well spoken with a steller future. But I think it would be to her's and our best interest if she "got a seat" first, learned the workings of the govt from the inside and then next term....take the role!
It's like an up & comer in the boxing industry.....the coach knows he has a winner on his hands but he doesn't throw the beginner boxer in the ring with the champs on his 1st fight because that could ruin a career before it starts....you train them, hone them to be a champ. then when they're ready, let them fight the big dogs.
I think Danielle will have her day. She is young and has a lot of years ahead. But with her lack of experience, I don't feel this is the right time to throw her in the ring (of leading this province).

No, no...Not directing comments at anyone in general. A number of comments were made about the WR not having enough experience...Again, not trying to get anyone worked up, just like hearing both sides of the argument, I think it makes us all more informed.

My apologies if you felt my comments directed at you or anyone else...

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, no...Not directing comments at anyone in general. A number of comments were made about the WR not having enough experience...Again, not trying to get anyone worked up, just like hearing both sides of the argument, I think it makes us all more informed.

My apologies if you felt my comments directed at you or anyone else...
I agree with most people, that we need a change in govt.......but each of the party's have a part of their platform that interests me as an Albertan, honestly and I say this with a soft voice, I like the NDP for there want in the development of oilsands and putting albertans first with the up graders and refineries here ....... I like the liberal health policy, and I like the wild rose for an attempt to build a more transparent govt....... And I like the fact that the PC govt will not have 4 more years of making poor choices with my vote.
This is a great debate going on here can't wait to read the next posts on this topic.

sassymudbug

Reaction score
I have to agree with fat tire, there are things that all the parties are putting out there that I agree with. But I am looking for a canidate that knows what issues I face, and the will do their best to fight for me as a constiuant of the riding they are to be representing.... I have only found one that I believe would. They will not make a huge run for the legislature this time around but I am hoping that they will get a couple of seats. When I talk to and listen to the canidate's in my riding only one, actually seems to care what I think and asks me questions about what I see happening with the province and how I would like to see some change. The other's don't even know what is happening in our riding and what issue's we are facing or they really just don't care. I am going to be voting for the Alberta Party.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with fat tire, there are things that all the parties are putting out there that I agree with. But I am looking for a canidate that knows what issues I face, and the will do their best to fight for me as a constiuant of the riding they are to be representing.... I have only found one that I believe would. They will not make a huge run for the legislature this time around but I am hoping that they will get a couple of seats. When I talk to and listen to the canidate's in my riding only one, actually seems to care what I think and asks me questions about what I see happening with the province and how I would like to see some change. The other's don't even know what is happening in our riding and what issue's we are facing or they really just don't care. I am going to be voting for the Alberta Party.

I agree I like the quality of a candidate and a party that actually listins to what the people want ...

For those that dont know who the Alberta Party is take a look at this...Why the Alberta Party? - YouTube

sassymudbug

Reaction score
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...a_Party-Platform-Election_2012.pdf?1332790825 Link to the Alberta Party Platform

Not trying to change people's minds, or push the Party but from what I am reading from everyone you might be interested in seeing the whole platform. The Alberta Party aren't even recognized as an official Party, so they haven't been getting a lot of media attention. If this party wasn't running in my riding, then my decision would be a lot harder.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
See, this is where I get confused about how people vote...We all know that there is zero chance of the Alberta party winning the election, so even though you may feel that the candidate is the best choice in your riding, are you not concerned about voting for the party that will at least form the next government? I guess its the only way they will ever get a seat, but if these votes meant the difference between a minority and majority gov, then I would rethink...Seems like a wasted vote, but who knows??

Definitley not telling you (or anyone) what to do, just asking the question...

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See, this is where I get confused about how people vote...We all know that there is zero chance of the Alberta party winning the election, so even though you may feel that the candidate is the best choice in your riding, are you not concerned about voting for the party that will at least form the next government? I guess its the only way they will ever get a seat, but if these votes meant the difference between a minority and majority gov, then I would rethink...Seems like a wasted vote, but who knows??

And this is the problem with Alberta politics (as i see it). Albertans seem to look at who they think will win and cast their ballot for that party like a bunch of sheep. They should be looking at the platforms and their local candidates and voting for the people that they see as being representative of the government they want to see. Drayton Valley elected a useless moron (Tony Abbot) for 2 terms because he was PC. We don't need MLA's like this for any party elected because the leader seems appealing. I'd rather see a minority government with 87 good MLAs than a majority with a good leader and a bunch of tools in the cabinet and back benches.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your right they dont have a snowballs chance, but what they do have is some really good people and I agree with Summiteer that a voter should vote for the candadate that best suits what you want.

Besides keep an eye on these guys they're going places....and you have to start somewhere.....

One postive about a minority gov, you really get to see the make up of the individuals and how they choose to do there job, if they weree working for the prov towards the greater good of the prov theres no reason a minority gov wouldnt work......but with the large majority of our politictions they would argue black from white just because......

and hey we get to do this again in two years......

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ever notice how the parties who know they have no chance of winning tend to promise a perfect world because they know they will never have to follow through while the parties that have a chance to win promise things a little closer to reality because they have to be able to actually do it?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the NDP you mean !!! Then when/if they do get in ,they have most provinces broke in 2 years or less....................Kinda like Obama in the USA....lol. It`s not quite as easy as it looks..............

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ACtually thats the problem I'm having with the PC's and the Wildrose, the promises these two have offered up are unrealistict.....to the tune of millions ...

In Sherwood park between the hospital mess, the Education mess and the Heartland powerline.....both parties dont deserve to be in power.....scary put one of them will be.....

Nathansharkey

Reaction score
My vote is going to Wild Rose. I have always been a very strong conservative. I haven't seen a conservative government since we lost Ralph. This new conservative government is not my cup of tea.

---
I am here:

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its scary to think that Wild Rose is going to win this (which is how its looking). They have some pretty scary ideals, its like going back in time in the south to the 60's, 70's. The Consvervatives were bad enough! But I guess expecting anything else is pretty unrealistic in a province run by oil!

Top Bottom