860 big bore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duch17

Reaction score
I know a few guys have geared them up. 23/49 on the 163's and 22/45 on the 154's. These motors need load on them to make power.
This is what makes me wonder about doing the BB kit, then you hear how these sled are very close to the 2 stroke turbos as far as pwr and rideability is concerned. I know the turbos should be way ahead of a BB but there are guys who are saying it close.

duch17

Reaction score
I know a few guys have geared them up. 23/49 on the 163's and 22/45 on the 154's. These motors need load on them to make power.
Also the guys who were at Big Iron said there was a Bikeman 880 there climbing everything is site. What is that led doing that all the others aren't

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what makes me wonder about doing the BB kit, then you hear how these sled are very close to the 2 stroke turbos as far as pwr and rideability is concerned. I know the turbos should be way ahead of a BB but there are guys who are saying it close.

its been provn

kelsey has had his sleds out doing climbs and races against PGM8T and dragon turbos STRAIGHT pump gas and 4-8psi nothing crazy

of coarse add race fuel to the mix and its not even the same ball game but as far as pump as turbos are concerned a WELL tuned 860 WILL compete with a PG turbo.

wombat

Reaction score
i get my shr860 tomorrow, dynoport pipe, y-pipe and nos. was running nos b4 and was great, hope this is not a mistake, big john has been great to deal with.

was running 19t top gear with nos, but for sure have to put at least 21 back in for 860 to run well.

turbostang

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talked to kelsey today he seems pretty confiedent in his big bore,anybody that is willing to let guys ride his 860 must know it perfoms,i will be calling on him at the end of the season,if theres anybody on here that purchased akit straight from kelsey can you let me know what you think,good or bad.

duch17

Reaction score
talked to kelsey today he seems pretty confiedent in his big bore,anybody that is willing to let guys ride his 860 must know it perfoms,i will be calling on him at the end of the season,if theres anybody on here that purchased akit straight from kelsey can you let me know what you think,good or bad.

I second that, i think that when i do order one this spring its going to be from him.

vpfuelman

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
we have done lots of 860 in the xp chassis and have had really good feed back from customers and we have a 07 xrs and 09 xp as a test sleds with the 860 . What are you jetted at ?? it will make a big differance , how hot is the pipe ?? lots of factors with the xp computer

Thanks Eric / ::: Welcome to Specialty Sleds :::

XP154

Reaction score
we have done lots of 860 in the xp chassis and have had really good feed back from customers and we have a 07 xrs and 09 xp as a test sleds with the 860 . What are you jetted at ?? it will make a big differance , how hot is the pipe ?? lots of factors with the xp computer

Thanks Eric / ::: Welcome to Specialty Sleds :::

420 jet sizes, not sure on the pipe heat, what do you recommend to do with the computer

duch17

Reaction score
Can a guy jump onto a BB and use his naked eye to see the difference of this kit? Or do you need a Dyno to see results, I keep thinking and hoping its not like alot of Upgrades, where people promise a HP increase and truly you dont see much or anything at all. I was told one time if you dont need to change clutching or jetting or anything else you probably arent truly getting any change in performance. The only time ive really been in ahh of any upgrade was when i first seen a yammy turbo, i wont spend 3k dollars on a upgrade unless someone can truly tell me its going to rip my arms off and blow by my buddies stock sled. Can some that is riding one please give me some insite into there set up what they are truly running.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a 860 in his 09 and he's disapointed in it, won't run right can't get it to rev out, he's been trying to figure it out all winter. Mine feel's like it has more power than his, I would like to see it to it's full potential, but so far I believe the 860BB is more trouble than it's worth. I would like to see a REAL RKtech 860 engine perform instead of a knock off.

mmagic

Mountain Magic Snow Machines
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainmagic.ca
There are a few different kits ive been looking at, bikeman, rkt, big johns, terra alps, i was leaning towards Terra alps because it would be easier to deal canadian but the RKT caught my eye because of the remapping then bikeman looks good to but it seems like there 880 reports looks the same as the 860 reports on the dyno sheets. Ive never really got to try any of them out and have not seen any of them run but everybody seems to rave about the big bore kits. Is there anybody that seems to have there's dialed in or have riden one that is dialed in thats willing to tell what is really under the hood. What was the reasons that you guys leaned towards the kit you bought.

At Mountain Magic we offer the Engine Tech 860 as well. Engine Tech is a Canadian company and the turn around is fast and offer remapping. Phone 780 474 9400 for details.

duch17

Reaction score
Everybody sells a BB kit, im still leaning towards RKT, i dont know if its because they have a pretty web site with a bunch of promises or what but i hope there kit puts out more then a 160 hp. So when all is said and done a guy is going to have to Reprog. computer, change back his gearing, new thermostat ect, Nitrous, BB kit with head, keep stock pipe, change can, change jetting,mod air box, is that it?
Im running a DJ clutch kit will i have to change spring and helix again or just add a bunch of weights to the pins, what kind of weight are you guys running in your pins when you have a BB right now?

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the rk 860 in an o7 modded rev chassis 162 2.5 d&r complete holtz fox floats around and all the rest of the best i ran my 860 with stock pipe and specialized can then went to the dynaport y pipe and single and noticed a big gain i run 460 mains and with about 2 or 3 gallons of c111 in the primary i have a titanium spring oversized rollers and a few other goodies i run the mountain magic team secondary with red black spring and 19 47 gearin the sled flat rips ive got over 3 k on my motor and its pulling stonger than ever i also got my computer re mapped guys its how you set it up clutching is huge the rk 860 should not rev over 8200 it gets to hot you can ask guys that ive rode with or that have rode my sled it pulles hard here's one storie for yah last year in revy went up against a fabcraft cat chassis with a cutler 1150 in it 220 to 240 hp he got me by about half a sled in a drag on the sugar bowl not bad for me having maby 180 hp if you think im full of ch!t pm climbin he'll tell ya he was on the cat got my motor done by specialty sleds and they were very help full in seting up my primary and i went with the team secondary over the hcx cause of reverse once i got it setup we'll say 2 rides ive never had to touch it very reliable more so than stock if you asked me

powpounder

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a 860 in his 09 and he's disapointed in it, won't run right can't get it to rev out, he's been trying to figure it out all winter. Mine feel's like it has more power than his, I would like to see it to it's full potential, but so far I believe the 860BB is more trouble than it's worth. I would like to see a REAL RKtech 860 engine perform instead of a knock off.

Well said Caper11. Keep it stock and run over the big bores. I've been doing it all winter;)

duch17

Reaction score
i have the rk 860 in an o7 modded rev chassis 162 2.5 d&r complete holtz fox floats around and all the rest of the best i ran my 860 with stock pipe and specialized can then went to the dynaport y pipe and single and noticed a big gain i run 460 mains and with about 2 or 3 gallons of c111 in the primary i have a titanium spring oversized rollers and a few other goodies i run the mountain magic team secondary with red black spring and 19 47 gearin the sled flat rips ive got over 3 k on my motor and its pulling stonger than ever i also got my computer re mapped guys its how you set it up clutching is huge the rk 860 should not rev over 8200 it gets to hot you can ask guys that ive rode with or that have rode my sled it pulles hard here's one storie for yah last year in revy went up against a fabcraft cat chassis with a cutler 1150 in it 220 to 240 hp he got me by about half a sled in a drag on the sugar bowl not bad for me having maby 180 hp if you think im full of ch!t pm climbin he'll tell ya he was on the cat got my motor done by specialty sleds and they were very help full in seting up my primary and i went with the team secondary over the hcx cause of reverse once i got it setup we'll say 2 rides ive never had to touch it very reliable more so than stock if you asked me
How much weight are you running in your primary?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Caper11. Keep it stock and run over the big bores. I've been doing it all winter;)

LOL - i love internet racers. How's about you stop comparing to some guy that hasn't got his sled running right and pull up to some guy with a "well tuned" big bore? I'm guessing your stocker runs with 1150cc class sleds as well then... :rolleyes:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When/if your buddy figures it out...let us know what the heck it was here, would ya? I'm in the same boat still. You're right....it was waaaay more trouble than its worth.

duch17

Reaction score
I think im leaning towards kelsey set up, if im not going out to revy next weekend im going to start tearing into it, im also going to go with a 30 shot of ha ha along with it. I still gotta talk to DJ and see if i need to upgrade anything else with my clutch kit. Pipe and can will be purchased as soon as someone can give me the answer what i should be running with this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom