Thinking of Big Bore Kit

Dustylane

Reaction score
I am wanting to do a big bore kit on a 2009 stock xp 800 154 and just wondering what the best one to go with is, 860 or 880? I have heard pros and cons from both and changing out clutch to, what should i go with and can you run a 3 inch track on a stock 154 skid? How much are these clutch and big bore kits going to cost and is there any places in red deer or close to who do really good work.​

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jaws Performance or Brent Linderman ( Arctic Edge motor sports) have excellent 860 BB kits. Both Greg and Brent are great and easy to deal with as well. Goodwin Performance, DJ and Roosterbilt all have good clutch kits as well.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call Deano at Mad Motorsports....780-717-4314.......One stop shop

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call arctic edge... I have been running Brent's kit since the 08/09 season. The sled has roughly 8000km (BB km's) with one rebuild on it. It rocks, pure and simple. Twin pipes are a big bump in power, and they sound like a modded 809 triple. For me I was running a 3" track as well, with the additional power you will have no problem spinning it.

Other things to consider are a bondi box, e-tech thermostat, shockwave secondary, 2mm oversize rollers OR a power bloc 80 clutch setup, and this button!

image.jpg

Redbaronjg

Reaction score
I'm running an rk-tek 860 with 14:1 heads on an 08 xp. Was a 154, now a 163, and dynamo joe clutch kit. Piped and reeds, has been an awesome and reliable kit. Lots of power. Be prepared to fork out some extra cash for some race fuel, but it's worth it. You can run the 860 with stock programming, but I would recommend the rktek tuning update with it. Specialty sleds in Edmonton did my build and are good at what they do. Absolute power and performance is a good shop to deal with too, but I've never had any work done there. Stay away from the sled shop, they're amateurs and if it doesn't say arctic cat on the snow flap they are clueless. Mountain magic would be another shop to steer away from, a friend had a terrible experience dealing with them on a build. Specialty recommends to stay away from the 880, they built a few that burnt down and it was blamed on thin cylinder walls, they've stuck to the 860 since. As far as the 3" track, you can run it on the stock skid, however I wouldnt touch one without a chaincase extension. There's been cases of stock sleds running 3" and jamming up. There is no Extra room for snow or anything else that may find its way in there without the extension. At that point guys were forced to cut a nice new track apart just to get it out, not worth the risk in my opinion. Also make sure your drivers match up with the track. Overall though, if you decide to make the move on a BB Im positive you will fall in love with the performance and fun that will come with.

Redbaronjg

Reaction score
Call arctic edge... I have been running Brent's kit since the 08/09 season. The sled has roughly 8000km (BB km's) with one rebuild on it. It rocks, pure and simple. Twin pipes are a big bump in power, and they sound like a modded 809 triple. For me I was running a 3" track as well, with the additional power you will have no problem spinning it.

Other things to consider are a bondi box, e-tech thermostat, shockwave secondary, 2mm oversize rollers OR a power bloc 80 clutch setup, and this button!

View attachment 163894
Just bought boondocker nitrous for my rig... Looking forward to giving er a try! That button location looks mighty inconvenient though...

Dustylane

Reaction score
Thanks alot for everybodys input and suggestions, i am thinking that artic edge might have a sled to work on over the summer for me.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the guys that are happy with the work done to theirs, how about a dollar figure that got you where you are...? just so the OP has a number to chew on...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Red Baron ?
860 RKT had one and after some time and effort it ran okay. No other comment.
880 Bikeman and ran very well with no problems and pulled more track speed than & 860.
880 SHR better again as far as Torgue and power.
Now as to the comment on the 3 inch? Where did you every see this?Or just hear say.
I have ran one for two years with 7 tooth avids and not one problem and know a lot of peeps with the same and no problems.
This is the first time I have heard of what you speak.
Ask the Micku boys on this subject and they prefer the 7 tooth over extended case.
Extended case changes the handling on sled to much and don't think it is worth the 45 to $5000.00
Price tag.
IMO

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 grand should get ya a kit, close to that any way depending on where you shop. 900 for the bb twin pipes from jaws. Think I saw a 860 kit on kijiji for 1300 FYI. Engine tech.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
196.80 ECM reflash plus shipping
2239.92 big bore (porting pistons domes y pipe mod etc) I saved a little I already had head only needed big bore domes.
258.77 clutch kit as per builder
I only have a week ride on build but jumped on buddies stock XM and couldn't wait to get my sled back XM felt like a slug
If I get two more years out of my 08 I think 2700 is worth it.
I put kit in so no labour $.

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
I am wanting to do a big bore kit on a 2009 stock xp 800 154 and just wondering what the best one to go with is, 860 or 880? I have heard pros and cons from both and changing out clutch to, what should i go with and can you run a 3 inch track on a stock 154 skid? How much are these clutch and big bore kits going to cost and is there any places in red deer or close to who do really good work.​

Brent @ Arctic Edge & Dean @ Mad Motorsports work hand In hand, so if your looking for someone close to Red Deer I would highly suggest checking out Mad Motorsports in Leduc, Deano's workmanship & quality to details is next to non, also nice have a person to talk to face to face when dealing with having a motor built rather then phone and email. Also all Brent and Deans motors are tested and tuned for our areas or riding which in my eyes is a huge selling point!!

As far as price.... The sky is the limit! Best thing to do is call Deano and tell him what you are wanting out of your motor and he can give you a better broke down price, the prices suggested on here would be a good start but give Dean a call you will be happy you did.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Phone Deano at mad Motorsports. He works close with Brent Linderman. If you want lots of hp talk to Deano about his 950 big bore that he and Brent build!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SHR 860 - doesnt work any better than stock. if not worse. tinkered for 2 seasons and couldnt make any progress. blew up twice, took out a new crank.
BIKEMAN 880 - pulls hard, noticably more power but above all WAY more torque. could spin a 174 track like it was a 121. once i got a clutch setup from bikeman i was extremely happy with this machine. logged lots of miles.
I also had an 827 back in the day from RKT. worked great, so i would consider his 860 aswell. wish i would have done that over the SHR one.

all in with clutching your probly 2500-3000$.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SHR 860 - doesnt work any better than stock. if not worse. tinkered for 2 seasons and couldnt make any progress. blew up twice, took out a new crank.
BIKEMAN 880 - pulls hard, noticably more power but above all WAY more torque. could spin a 174 track like it was a 121. once i got a clutch setup from bikeman i was extremely happy with this machine. logged lots of miles.
I also had an 827 back in the day from RKT. worked great, so i would consider his 860 aswell. wish i would have done that over the SHR one.

all in with clutching your probly 2500-3000$.
Exactly what I've seen in my group, 2guys buy and sell 860's and go all BMP 880 and clutching and have pretty wild sleds

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 880 Bikeman top end for sale plus bored carbs and complete exhaust if interested. $2500 .
utyhahe2.jpg

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trygstads 872 work awesome as well ,and is a great guy to deal with.

Redbaronjg

Reaction score
Red Baron ?
860 RKT had one and after some time and effort it ran okay. No other comment.
880 Bikeman and ran very well with no problems and pulled more track speed than & 860.
880 SHR better again as far as Torgue and power.
Now as to the comment on the 3 inch? Where did you every see this?Or just hear say.
I have ran one for two years with 7 tooth avids and not one problem and know a lot of peeps with the same and no problems.
This is the first time I have heard of what you speak.
Ask the Micku boys on this subject and they prefer the 7 tooth over extended case.
Extended case changes the handling on sled to much and don't think it is worth the 45 to $5000.00
Price tag.
IMO
Never had any issues with my 860 rktek, has always run strong and has been known to leave a turbo or two in its wake. Specialty sleds did a few 880's, bikeman I believe, and they all melted down. I ran into one other guy in the hills that ran an 880 bikeman and really regretted it, said same thing, was having problems with keeping the motor going. I know a number of other people who have had terrible luck with different bikeman products, so i dont touch them As far as the track goes, it was specialty telling me, I've never met anyone on the hills running 3" on stock setup, but they said they had a few issues with guys running em and jamming em up in certain snow conditions, or with ice, and couldn't get them unlodged. It ha been a whiles since I talked with them
about it, so can't remember what drivers were being run. As far as the chaincase extension, I don't know who's trying to rip you off, but try more like a 1300 price tag

As for the price of my big bore, sorry, but I don't remember. I had a short block, reeds, and a few other expensive upgrades done at the same time so can't think of a breakdown for just the big bore.

Top Bottom