7 Wide Enclosed Trailer?

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an enclosed sled trailer in a few months, and I am considering getting a 7 wide. Last year I rented a 7 wide cargo trailer for a sled trip and I liked it. It pulled nice and with the low deck it was easy to load. From what I can see the only trade off is that you need a longer trailer to haul as many sleds as a 8.5 wide. My question is, for those that have a 7 wide, do you regret not getting a 8.5 foot wide trailer?

SNAFU

Reaction score
So how do you load the sleds? Do you have to have them stagered since the skis won't fit side by side?

SNAFU

Reaction score
Awsome picture. Lots of people write about how to load 5 sleds in an enclosed, but this picture tells the whole story.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will never go back!

Attachments

• th_IMGP1827.jpg
    th_IMGP1827.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 519
  • th_IMGP1828.jpg
    th_IMGP1828.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 515

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an enclosed sled trailer in a few months, and I am considering getting a 7 wide. Last year I rented a 7 wide cargo trailer for a sled trip and I liked it. It pulled nice and with the low deck it was easy to load. From what I can see the only trade off is that you need a longer trailer to haul as many sleds as a 8.5 wide. My question is, for those that have a 7 wide, do you regret not getting a 8.5 foot wide trailer?

Are you looking at new or used. I have a 2004 7x27 Snow King that will be up for sale soon. Has cabinets in front, RV battery and furnace. Upgraded wiring on front of trailer.

We hauled: 162" Kingcat, 162" M8, 162" TApex and 155" Dragon no problem. Load from front and stagger the sleds. A fourth 162" sled would fit instead of the 155"

enclosed

Last edited:

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice trailer Uturn. When will you be listing it? After this season? I'm curious about pricing as it would serve my needs. Thanks again.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you looking at new or used. I have a 2004 7x27 Snow King that will be up for sale soon. Has cabinets in front, RV battery and furnace. Upgraded wiring on front of trailer.

We hauled: 162" Kingcat, 162" M8, 162" TApex and 155" Dragon no problem. Load from front and stagger the sleds. A fourth 162" sled would fit instead of the 155"

enclosed

Nicely set up trailer. I'll keep it in mind. Right now I'm waiting for a quote from Firefly for a new Trailmaster. :beer:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

enclosed

Uturn. Is your trailer 22 foot straight wall with a 5 foot v-nose?

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been working on the house and haven't cleaned it out yet. I've been using it for storage.

I believe it is the 22' with 5' V, but I will measure later.

I would list the trailer as good to very good condition. The wheels are showing some rust as are the door closers. Tires are very good. One fuel door and one man door on passenger side.

I would keep this trailer as I like the heated area after a ride, but all my riding buddies have switched to decks, so it's not getting used.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Their are a couple advantages of a 7' wide.
1) You don't need mirrors (as much as a 8 1/2 wide), easier to see around,
2) 7' should track better due to aerodynamics as vehicle is cutting wind for the trailer.

But with a 8 1/2 wide,
1) You can load big items (sXs, cars, etc.) if trailer and axles can handle it,
2) easier loading as their is more room to do so,

I am sure there are other advantanges and disadvantages to both, it all depends on what you want or need your trailer for !!!!

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing I've come across with 7' wide is that the tires of the trailer do not follow the tire tracks of the truck.Not alot of problem on the highway but when pulling a logging road when making your on tracks,you end up dragging the trailer as it has to make it's own track.It is nice to have the floor and overall trailer lower though.I only know this because my flat deck trailer is this way and when you are the first one down the road in 8" of fresh snow,it's a hard pull.My brother and I are also looking for a enclosed and are discussing the same things.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering a legend 7x27 from Firefly. Can't wait. I should have it in March

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering a legend 7x27 from Firefly. Can't wait. I should have it in March

Me Too !!!!!! I too just ordered a 7 X 21' from Firefly. I too can't wait till March. Towin my new "Legend" !!!!

maxpower

Reaction score
What did those trailers cost you guys? Looking into an enclosed, sick of my sleds getting covered in road slush.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just give Ron (Firefly) a PM or a phone call and he can give a rough quote on what you want !!! Thats what I did,and ended up ordering one from him. I looked all around central Alberta for a Trailer AND then I looked at these "Legend" all alluminum, pretty impressed with how they are built and how good they look. :d BUT I guess we will have to see how good they are AFTER I get it !!
Will keep you guys posted on that !!!

Top Bottom