7 million plug-ins on the road by 2025

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is delusional thinking, BC brought in Team Power Smart because we are running out of power, they figured it would help reduce usage and kick the can down the road so to speak (never worked, people are not smart). Enter the greenies with no concept of power at all, they all want electric cars. 220v or 240v and up to 30 amps 10-25 miles of range in an hour (in summer only). Holy crap is this going to make your electric bills high.. not sure were they are even getting the power from anyway. Well lets ask Alberta who is adding 7 million plug ins to go green, yet already buying power from Sask and USA. ... We will phase out our coal fired plants.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1. They are more destructive to the environment to produce than combustion engined vehicles much larger.

2. They are only affordable to the consumer after taxpayer dollars are used to subsidize their cost to affordable levels

3. They require taxpayer funded infrastructure to provide charging stations at suitable numbers and intervals

4. Their advertised range is farcical in cold weather due to cabin heating/defrosting demands. Electricity costs/km is much
Higher than advertised but never acknowledged.

5. The cost/environmental impact associated with charging infrastructure should be included in cost/ environmental footprint
But isn't. Somehow the materials etc used to construct this infrastructure is ignored.

6. Fossil fuels are used to generate the electricity used to charge these electric cars. The cost/carbon footprint is never added
To the environmental costs/impact of these cars but should be.

7. The hazardous materials/heavy metals contained in the battery packs require complex and energy intensive processes to
Dismantle/separate out the constituent components and recycle them. These costs should be attached to the environmental
Footprint of the cars but aren't.

Everything taken into account, an electric vehicle is not the environmental benefit that the tree huggers would have you believe. If you're kept up at night worrying about how you can benefit the world and make it a cleaner greener place, (and still have bragging rights at your enviro-weenie vegetarian dinner parties), RIDE THE BUS!!!

Do you have any numbers or links to back up what your saying or is it personal opinion. Might be so truth there

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our climate I think that would be tough to do.
Maybe If a house is specifically built and designed to live off the grid, I do believe its possible. Too much money to convert a older home imo.

As for the cars, I agree with your comment.

Yes would be hard to do with solar alone. But solar, wood heat and diesel generator backup is the way to go.

Lots of people are off the grid in BC. No power in some places leaves you no option.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have any numbers or links to back up what your saying or is it personal opinion. Might be so truth there

Im not sure if there are stats on those points above, but Its actually common sence when yah think about it.
Look at the infrastructure that is in place now, and replace the gas and diesel engines with electric motors. Now the gas pumps need to be swapped out with charging stations, and more added at more frequent intervals. Its no secret that a battery accepts a charge better when the ambient temps are warmer than colder.
Another thing to ponder is look at what it takes to charge a 5ah lithium ion battery to power your drill. I cannot charge them when its too hot out either cause they shutdown on over temp. Now look at the cost to purchase that same battery, a 5ah battery is not cheap, now add the tech need to overcome those charging challenges and that battery costs even more. Lots of recalls on lithium ion batterys in electronics lately, I'm unsure as to why but its interesting.

Now look at that same infrastructure and ask yourself where is the electricity going to come from to charge all of these electric cars. Yes there are regenerative charging systems in these electric and hybrid cars but in our climate.

Its been 10 years now since the DPF filter has been introduced on the diesel engine. Does it work good in California where the standard was introduced. Yes probably does. Now in the great white north what do most do when it gives grief? They cut it off and delete it.
I think we are farther away with the electric tech than most are believing.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if there are stats on those points above, but Its actually common sence when yah think about it.
Look at the infrastructure that is in place now, and replace the gas and diesel engines with electric motors. Now the gas pumps need to be swapped out with charging stations, and more added at more frequent intervals. Its no secret that a battery accepts a charge better when the ambient temps are warmer than colder.
Another thing to ponder is look at what it takes to charge a 5ah lithium ion battery to power your drill. I cannot charge them when its too hot out either cause they shutdown on over temp. Now look at the cost to purchase that same battery, a 5ah battery is not cheap, now add the tech need to overcome those charging challenges and that battery costs even more. Lots of recalls on lithium ion batterys in electronics lately, I'm unsure as to why but its interesting.

Now look at that same infrastructure and ask yourself where is the electricity going to come from to charge all of these electric cars. Yes there are regenerative charging systems in these electric and hybrid cars but in our climate.

Its been 10 years now since the DPF filter has been introduced on the diesel engine. Does it work good in California where the standard was introduced. Yes probably does. Now in the great white north what do most do when it gives grief? They cut it off and delete it.
I think we are farther away with the electric tech than most are believing.

The whole idea is based around people who live and work in 30-50km radius. Drive to work, go home and plug back in and good to go again in the morning. Obviously not a long distance vehicle unless you have the time. What it costs to charge per I'm driven I haven't the faintest clue. So many are getting caught up in the cost argument but then spend $90-100,000 on a one ton pickup that's used to drive the kids to school. With the exception of the batteries the building process of the main car is exactly the same as the non electric version.

As for the infrastructure I'm pretty sure with the exception of off grid living there is power everywhere. Most hotels have outside plugs to accommodate block heaters.

I honestly had much of the same position as "it will never work here" but obviously there is a place for them.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole idea is based around people who live and work in 30-50km radius. Drive to work, go home and plug back in and good to go again in the morning. Obviously not a long distance vehicle unless you have the time. What it costs to charge per I'm driven I haven't the faintest clue. So many are getting caught up in the cost argument but then spend $90-100,000 on a one ton pickup that's used to drive the kids to school. With the exception of the batteries the building process of the main car is exactly the same as the non electric version.

As for the infrastructure I'm pretty sure with the exception of off grid living there is power everywhere. Most hotels have outside plugs to accommodate block heaters.

I honestly had much of the same position as "it will never work here" but obviously there is a place for them.

Actually other than the body shell itself , an electric car is considerably different than a normal vehicle..... much more and larger wiring, electric motor in place of an internal combustion engine etc....

As for the power grid, in its current form its not capable of supporting millions of electric cars. the hotel example that you used, most large commercial buildings with block heater plug ins have timers on the outside plugs that alternate the power to the plugs on a rotating basis, typically 2 hours on and 2 off. this reduces power consumption and still allows for electric block heaters to operate often enough to help starting in cold weather.

I agree buying a one ton diesel to take the kids to school is a huge waste of resources, but on the weekend that truck gets used to haul the same rug rats and all their toys in the toy hauler out to have some fun.... the electric weenie-mobile has one use only.....

Electric cars are an expensive way for wealthy conspicuous users of energy to try and relieve their guilty conscience..... the average working family cannot spend $30k + on a vehicle that is so limited in its ability.... thats why they will never catch on in a big way.....

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to bc hydro it cost $2.16 to charge a Nissan leaf per 100km of use. Base price on a leaf $33,999 so call it 40k out the door after some options. Not that it would work for our family but given the fact the majority of the population lives in urban centers and not everyone has a toy hauler it does make lots of sense. I have trouble believing the hydro rates, would guess it's closer to $5/100km, but still cheaper then gas.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Interesting read. Here's what caught my eye...............

For a start, there are thousands of chargers spread around the country. It takes some effort to find somewhere rural enough that there isn't one nearby. Most of those chargers are free. So with some planning, patience and luck, you could reduce the yearly fuelling bill to zero. Zip, zilch, nada.
Ontario, the province where charging has the potential to cost the most, is not just building more chargers but is implementing plans to let homeowners charge free at home overnight as well. No details yet from the province on how exactly that plan is to be implemented either, or when, but it will likely bring more cost reductions for EV owners and potential owners in the province.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. Here's what caught my eye...............

For a start, there are thousands of chargers spread around the country. It takes some effort to find somewhere rural enough that there isn't one nearby. Most of those chargers are free. So with some planning, patience and luck, you could reduce the yearly fuelling bill to zero. Zip, zilch, nada.
Ontario, the province where charging has the potential to cost the most, is not just building more chargers but is implementing plans to let homeowners charge free at home overnight as well. No details yet from the province on how exactly that plan is to be implemented either, or when, but it will likely bring more cost reductions for EV owners and potential owners in the province.
In other words, every single tax payer will be on the hook for charging these things. Awesome.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that is the case (your taxes will pay for charging EV's) then you better get one :) Looks like it is only Ontario who is considering this though so I guess you would have to move there too.

Here in Alberta I doubt there will be any "free juice."

In other words, every single tax payer will be on the hook for charging these things. Awesome.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the stupidity continues. "Free" electricity. "Free"charging stations. A $14,000 incentive to buy the car. That's "free" money. What amazes me is that lots of people actually think that it is actually free. Typical liberal and NDP thinking. Taxpayer money is "free". Let's encourage the government to build some "free" roads that only electric cars can use and have all electric vehicles to park for "free". And if you own a business, let's pass some laws that mandate that you must provide "free" charging stations and "free" electricity.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In order to give out free power we have to close site C dam down because it costs too much. What a bunch of dildos

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So if I use one would I be considered a welfare bum for getting my tax money back

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over 30,000 of them on the road already, like I said I understand the attraction, not for everyone but either is a crew cab long box Diesel

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I use one would I be considered a welfare bum for getting my tax money back
I'm pretty sure there ain't no welfare bum out there that's going to be affording an electric car any time soon. I have absolutely no problem with people buying and using electric cars if that's what they want to do. But let the Market dictate whether or not electric cars will be driven, not the government

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom