7 million plug-ins on the road by 2025

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An interesting announcement from our friends at Tesla. Their solar roof is projected to be less expensive than a traditional roof not including that it generates power.

http://inhabitat.com/teslas-new-sol...il&utm_term=0_edda39917e-76c009ad61-207539269

Please don't bitch that it will be covered with snow here in winter a that much is obvious. If it costs the same as a regular roof, lasts longer and generates power seven months a year, this is a win.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An interesting announcement from our friends at Tesla. Their solar roof is projected to be less expensive than a traditional roof not including that it generates power.

http://inhabitat.com/teslas-new-sol...il&utm_term=0_edda39917e-76c009ad61-207539269

Please don't bitch that it will be covered with snow here in winter a that much is obvious. If it costs the same as a regular roof, lasts longer and generates power seven months a year, this is a win.

I was actually cruising the Tesla site yesterday and came across the same thing. I have friends that live off the grid north of fsj. I've also looked into a system, not because I'm a greenie as some suggest but because I'm paying way too much for power and it's crazy. If the cost and return is there then yes a no brainier, just not sure it's at that point yet

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

21.85 sqft AFTER tax breaks and energy savings, and check on the breaks in your province. Some provincial Govts and not allowing energy to be sold back to the grid anymore.

The initial cost is massive compared to a normal roof.

That battery system alone is 6500 bucks, and I was quoted 8500 to do the roof on my house.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kind of worked it out last fall and it was way more than the 21.85 sqft. Like 50000 or something like that.... big numbers anyway. I am not saying it is not worth it .... it last a life time and your going to get lots of power from it, even in the winter too. A ton of people will invest in this for sure, more than you might think. As long as they believe they are saving the world they will spend the money.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Tesla marketing on the solar roof was pretty misleading, they meant cheaper than a high end roof like slate (which it still isn't), not asphalt shingles. You are still far better of to put solar panels on top of your shingles from a cost perspective. They are a cool product and I'm sure it can be done cheaper but just like their cars it will take time.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with new technology is its to expensive to even consider to buy unless your taking home a million bucks a year.
Between the solar roof the solar windows a home will cost more than I could afford thats for sure.
Man I remember when those OLED TVs came out they were over 20g, now how much are they.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Canada that puts a solar roof on is at best delusional. At worst a moron. The ratings they give for power output is meaningless at our latitudes. To be safe, cut it in half. Then deduct more for short winter days, cloudy days and the days where the panels are covered in snow.
And add to the costs of an engineering inspection to see if your roof structure is sufficient to support the weight. And if it isn't, add the costs to reinforce it. Then add the cost of a new roof, because putting a solar array on a roof that's half worn out is stupidity on top of stupidity because when your roof wears out, it costs huge bucks to remove the array and reinstall it.

Insurance will cost you more, battery maintenance and replacement will cost you etc. The payback if you're objective and honest just isn't there. It's way more cost effective and better from an investment and resale perspective to install better doors,windows and insulation.
There may be an argument for remote areas for a solar system, but even then for lighting only. Any other high current loads ( heat, cooking etc) are better supported by wood or petroleum.

Work the numbers. Solar power systems run on government subsidies,not the sun.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Canada that puts a solar roof on is at best delusional. At worst a moron. The ratings they give for power output is meaningless at our latitudes. To be safe, cut it in half. Then deduct more for short winter days, cloudy days and the days where the panels are covered in snow.
And add to the costs of an engineering inspection to see if your roof structure is sufficient to support the weight. And if it isn't, add the costs to reinforce it. Then add the cost of a new roof, because putting a solar array on a roof that's half worn out is stupidity on top of stupidity because when your roof wears out, it costs huge bucks to remove the array and reinstall it.

Insurance will cost you more, battery maintenance and replacement will cost you etc. The payback if you're objective and honest just isn't there. It's way more cost effective and better from an investment and resale perspective to install better doors,windows and insulation.
There may be an argument for remote areas for a solar system, but even then for lighting only. Any other high current loads ( heat, cooking etc) are better supported by wood or petroleum.

Work the numbers. Solar power systems run on government subsidies,not the sun.
I have to wholeheartedly agree with this. I have a house that faces South with roofs that would be perfect for solar panel installation. I run a boiler for heat and I was hoping to go to an electric boiler and run off solar panels just for curiosity's sake I went to ask a professional. He told me there was no way I could run electric boiler off of solar panels I'd be lucky if I was net zero on power just running lights in my house. Aka maybe a 25% reduction in my electrical bill considering most of it is delivery charges. With the cost of solar panels being probably in the neighborhood of $30,000 to install on my roof, not even close to worth it. I would be lucky if it ever paid for itself. Considering the ndp's subsidizing is only qualified for people staying on grid.. it's literally not worth chit. Obviously they worked it out with the power company to make sure that the power company still makes their money and we all think our carbon tax is going toward something useful...

Last edited:

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you think about it it's actually more beneficial for the power companies to have people with solar panels on their roofs. They can charge the same delivery charge they do to everyone else but not supply any power... it looks like the NDP really thought this one through well! I can only assume Rachel notley is invested in something that benefits from this...

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The blinders are on for what it takes to make batteries and solar panels for sure, it is like a total disconnect of thinking. I have to admit I have a solar panel, battery with a 2000 watt inverter to reduce my goal another 10% with team power smart without having to go without... not a wise choice but at least I can say I am trying options. Full sunlight full summer... poor results so far. Would that put me delusional or moron? Tough question. I have got it I was a delusional moron. I can just imagine taking those panels of the roof to reroof and how do you reseal, being a carpenter. The tesla tiles would work though.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to wholeheartedly agree with this. I have a house that faces South with roofs that would be perfect for solar panel installation. I run a boiler for heat and I was hoping to go to an electric boiler and run off solar panels just for curiosity's sake I went to ask a professional. He told me there was no way I could run electric boiler off of solar panels I'd be lucky if I was net zero on power just running lights in my house. Aka maybe a 25% reduction in my electrical bill considering most of it is delivery charges. With the cost of solar panels being probably in the neighborhood of $30,000 to install on my roof, not even close to worth it. I would be lucky if it ever paid for itself. Considering the ndp's subsidizing is only qualified for people staying on grid.. it's literally not worth chit. Obviously they worked it out with the power company to make sure that the power company still makes their money and we all think our carbon tax is going toward something useful...

Should be able to generate enough power to run a outdoor boiler

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These guys like their panels in the City of Calgary. Conversely, this has fuk all to do with plug in cars though...

hj.jpg

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup use solar panels to charge Tesla, that would work out fantastic for this guy 18 hours after a snowfall

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you plug a car into those panels for 1 year I bet you could go a mile

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These guys like their panels in the City of Calgary. Conversely, this has fuk all to do with plug in cars though...

View attachment 205533

I like trees and shade on my property tho.

My panel on my travel trailer would barely charge 1amp in the south okanagan campground. The batteries were always around 12.5v by morning, but the shade was amazing! And when it was generator time my trailer cooled with the AC 4 deg c easy.

In vernon with no shade at all, plugged to shore power, the panel showed 7-9amps but the AC was on constantly.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 205533

As for plug in cars, an environmentally unsound idea with reasonable utility for commuting somewhere like California or Florida. In Canada, an environmentally unsound idea with absolutely no utility in our climate. The only thing more idiotic than putting solar panels on your house is buying a full electric car.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for plug in cars, an environmentally unsound idea with reasonable utility for commuting somewhere like California or Florida. In Canada, an environmentally unsound idea with absolutely no utility in our climate. The only thing more idiotic than putting solar panels on your house is buying a full electric car.

Why is a full electric car idiotic?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like trees and shade on my property tho.

My panel on my travel trailer would barely charge 1amp in the south okanagan campground. The batteries were always around 12.5v by morning, but the shade was amazing! And when it was generator time my trailer cooled with the AC 4 deg c easy.

In vernon with no shade at all, plugged to shore power, the panel showed 7-9amps but the AC was on constantly.

Shade is nice. Would be nice to get off the grid completely. That is pretty well impossible if you live in the city though.

Electric cars are good for people who commute short distances to work in the city and park indoors.
And for people that like drag racing on the way to work.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shade is nice. Would be nice to get off the grid completely. That is pretty well impossible if you live in the city though.

Electric cars are good for people who commute short distances to work in the city and park indoors.
And for people that like drag racing on the way to work.

In our climate I think that would be tough to do.
Maybe If a house is specifically built and designed to live off the grid, I do believe its possible. Too much money to convert a older home imo.

As for the cars, I agree with your comment.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is a full electric car idiotic?

1. They are more destructive to the environment to produce than combustion engined vehicles much larger.

2. They are only affordable to the consumer after taxpayer dollars are used to subsidize their cost to affordable levels

3. They require taxpayer funded infrastructure to provide charging stations at suitable numbers and intervals

4. Their advertised range is farcical in cold weather due to cabin heating/defrosting demands. Electricity costs/km is much
Higher than advertised but never acknowledged.

5. The cost/environmental impact associated with charging infrastructure should be included in cost/ environmental footprint
But isn't. Somehow the materials etc used to construct this infrastructure is ignored.

6. Fossil fuels are used to generate the electricity used to charge these electric cars. The cost/carbon footprint is never added
To the environmental costs/impact of these cars but should be.

7. The hazardous materials/heavy metals contained in the battery packs require complex and energy intensive processes to
Dismantle/separate out the constituent components and recycle them. These costs should be attached to the environmental
Footprint of the cars but aren't.

Everything taken into account, an electric vehicle is not the environmental benefit that the tree huggers would have you believe. If you're kept up at night worrying about how you can benefit the world and make it a cleaner greener place, (and still have bragging rights at your enviro-weenie vegetarian dinner parties), RIDE THE BUS!!!

Top Bottom