550 polaris motor seized

old classic

Reaction score
have a 2004 polaris 550 that seized up when i went to start it up this fall. cant even turn over with pull cord . had sled going earlier in the year. someone suggested putting diesel fuel cylinders to try and loosen up motor claim that motor is gummed up , anybody know if this might work, or am i gong to be rebuilding?
o c

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd spray a little wd40 down each plug hole, let it sit over night. Then try and turn the motor over in reverse by turning the clutch backwards..... If that doesn't work then pull the cylinders and you'll see what the cause is.

apex69

Reaction score
have a 2004 polaris 550 that seized up when i went to start it up this fall. cant even turn over with pull cord . had sled going earlier in the year. someone suggested putting diesel fuel cylinders to try and loosen up motor claim that motor is gummed up , anybody know if this might work, or am i gong to be rebuilding?
o c

check and see if the needle stuck open and just filled the case with fuel some times that will feel the same as a seized motor

xcya

Reaction score
Apex69 is correct. Your crank is full of gas. Pull the plugs and then pull it over with the key off and the fuel shut off. You will get a lot of gas comming out. Do this untill it is clear and let it sit for a while untill it is dry and safe to start. PS> Do not elevate your sled and leave it that way unless you shut off the fuel.:nono:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
It sure could be a lot of different things......... First off, i would pull the spark plugs and see if you can pull the engine over..... If not, then try spinning the engine backwards by hand. If the engine pulls over, with the plugs out, you should do a quick compression test..... If it doesn't, then you might have a crankcase full of fuel or you might have a ring piled up, or seized rings(which trying a little diesel or wd40 soaking overnite inside the cylinders would be a good idea, to unseize the rings).....if it still doesn't turn over the next day then you would want to pull the head off the engine and take a peak inside. They're not that complicated, just common sense about how you would approach a problem like that.;) post your findings.......

Last edited:

rmk mod

Reaction score
You should have two drain plugs in the bottom crank case right below the exhaust manifold, pull those plugs and watch the fuel pour out. If the fuel does come out you will want to go through your carbs. :beer:

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen one do this was a seized bearing on crank from summer storage.not fogged

Top Bottom