28" Zilla's On Honda 420

WILDMIKE

Reaction score
Found a great deal on a set of 28" Zilla's to toss at my trail unit, just wondering, will they fit?
I'm guessing a lift will probably be needed, though not sure. Running 25" Bear-Claws right now...

Anyone been down this slippery slope before?

If yes, what's needed to make this insanity in my mind a possibility?

Or whats about the largest diameter tire you can go on my 2008 TRX 420FM?

Also any thoughts on a gear reduction system for the little red machine.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bad idea! Without a gear reduction and clutch adjustments/kit you'll have a helluva time turning those tires. My wife has an 09 RancherAT with the IRS and power steering and there's no way in hell that thing would be able to turn 28" tires in any kind of mud without getting stuck. I put a Honda gear reduction in it and it is much better in the mud but I still wouldn't put 28" tires on it. With the clutch kit and gear reduction I still wouldn't go any bigger than 26" but that's just me.

WILDMIKE

Reaction score
Sounds like 26's will be what I'll be going for...been reading up on some other threads, big definitely isn't always better! (Breakage, Boggy/No Power, Cooked Clutches, Etc...)

That being said, 26" Zilla's any good for a 420?

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you would be ok with the 26" Zillas but a gear reduction would go a long ways in helping you turn them a lot better. I've got 26x9x12" Mudlite XL's on my 450 Foreman and she spins them easily.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like 26's will be what I'll be going for...been reading up on some other threads, big definitely isn't always better! (Breakage, Boggy/No Power, Cooked Clutches, Etc...)

That being said, 26" Zilla's any good for a 420?

Did you buy the 28's, I am looking to get some zillas

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI: 28" Zillas run an actual 27" diameter. If the 420 has low range, I'd go for it.

WILDMIKE

Reaction score
FYI: 28" Zillas run an actual 27" diameter. If the 420 has low range, I'd go for it.

Nice! Sadly I have only the one range, and it feels like a range more between high and low, neither of the two, but closer to the low, until you hit fifth...

Rubicon 500 next time maybe, though I love the 420's weight and the ability to handle. Usually where I go, theres nothing or no one to winch to so its all about what you can do with some grunting...;)

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd get the 'Zilla, they are the lightest mud tire for your quad.

I beg to differ, on my XP I had 28's, with the recommended air pressure I measured them (installed) and they where 28" exact.

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I beg to differ, on my XP I had 28's, with the recommended air pressure I measured them (installed) and they where 28" exact.

I've never seen nor heard of zillas sitting at the exact measurements? You use 38 lbs in each tire? My 27's barely sit at 26" with 5 lbs in the front.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I've had 3 sets, and they all measured 1" short with the recommended air pressure.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think with 14" rims you get a true measurement cause mine measure exact on my xp with 14" rims.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what all is involved in doing the gear reduction, and the cost...ballpark? Thanks!
I did the reduction myself, it was kind of a pia. I had to disassemble the entire rear end but remember, her machine was an IRS so the SRA might be easier. The only cost associated with doing it was for the cost of gears and oil.

If you go to the Highlifter.com website and go to the Honda forum you will see a link for mods, the instructions for doing the reduction are in there and I wrote the instructions for the IRS version. One more thing, I would go with lower stock Honda gears if you can get them, I believe the aftermarket gears require you do some trimming of metal and I wasn't about to do that to my wifes brand new wheeler.

http://forum.highlifter.com/tm.aspx?m=3935365

van isle

Reaction score
I did the reduction myself, it was kind of a pia. I had to disassemble the entire rear end but remember, her machine was an IRS so the SRA might be easier. The only cost associated with doing it was for the cost of gears and oil.

If you go to the Highlifter.com website and go to the Honda forum you will see a link for mods, the instructions for doing the reduction are in there and I wrote the instructions for the IRS version. One more thing, I would go with lower stock Honda gears if you can get them, I believe the aftermarket gears require you do some trimming of metal and I wasn't about to do that to my wifes brand new wheeler.

Honda 420 secondary gear reduction install info

He has a 2008 so it is the same gearing factory that yours now has after you did the gear reduction. The 09 and up IRS 420 has horrible factory gearing and it is a must.

van isle

Reaction score
To answer the original question. Yes 28 inch zilas will fit with out a lift you can fit 30's with a 2 inch lift.

As for power. all years of 420 models with either the foot shift or ESP but NOT the dual clutch trans. Are geared low enough to handle 28 in pretty much any thing.

As you had mentioned there is a gear reduction for your 2008. and 2 choices for the dual clutch trans. The lower of the gear reduction for the dual clutch trans is the same gear reduction for the foot shift and ESP trans. With this gear reduction 30 or even 32 inch Gorilla are possible.

As for time to install a gear reduction will depend on the tools you have and experience and knowledge you have working on your quad. The link that was posted earlier from Highlifter can be a huge help.

You can also add a clutch kit which will allow the engine to rev up more before it engages which can help get the tires spinning again from a dead stop.

If you are in the Edmonton area and are looking for some one to do the gear reduction Call Kevin @ rapidrevolutions 780 455 7553 he has done a lot of gear reductions on hondas both 420 and Rincons.

Top Bottom