91 is reco.mended minimum
94 is better
Play car so only about 2000km a summer.
It's not bad $$$

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chevron 94 in a two stroke is not wise.
Chevron 94 was formulated for today's hyper cars, such as the Corvette and so on, as an example.
These engines require a fuel that is safe for their higher compression and still meet EPA's emission factors.
Chevron 94 is a very clean fuel and is also Oxygenated and dry to meet these standards.
What makes it clean and meet the EPA also can make it detrimental to your sled motor.

Here are a couple of the issues when used in 2 strokes, even though it sounds great because it is 94oct, it is also a slow killer on your crank and lower end components. Chevron 94 has a very low lubricity characteristic, so its capability to lube and cool the lower end of a 2stroke are poor. Even though two stroke engine have oil injected into their bottoms the fuel still needs to acts like a carrier to many vital components. Chevron 94 does not do that very well.
Another factor is because your sled motor has a lower compression ratio then the intended use of the Chevron 94 you will lose HP. Simply because the higher octane fuel has less energy then a lower octane fuel.
My recommendation is stick with the OE recommendation 91oct.

This falls in the same category as using AV (aviation) fuel in your sled to compensate, LOL.
A fuel formulated to burn at high elevation with a low oxygen content, "properly", much higher then your sled will ever run.
Though, AV fuel will not hurt your motor simply because it cannot burn efficiently, you will never get the energy out of it. Thus you will lose HP in your sled by using it.
Food for thought.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just add Fuel Stabilizer if people are that concerned about fuel going bad. Either should last more than a year if stored properly.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The chevron in Edson still says no ethanol for the 94. I like using it because it has a dedicated hose unlike the 91. Guaranteed the first 3L is regular in that hose and the internal piping before it’s purged out with premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the price of gas these days, who fill up a regular performance car or truck up with premium?
Yes that is the problem with buying 91 octane these days, you know the 87 at the costco pumps are maybe 2 days old. Their premium fuels who knows how old that is, adding stablizers ya right, 2 stroke oil to the fuel does a better job than those witch blends according to the oil guys. But no doubt about it aspen fuel does the best job of all the fuels. I have several of those on hand.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was in red deer this summer and filled up at costco. talking to the attendants and they told me they go through 2 b trains a day. wonder if winter months is the same.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about these octane boosters that a guy can buy or are they too hard to measure properly and you can easily have way toooo high of octane. Is there other things that are different between the grades not JUST OCTANE?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still find it funny that a guy thought he was adding NOS octane booster and when question what the can looked like and was told he just added NOS energy drink instead.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chevron 94 in a two stroke is not wise.
Chevron 94 was formulated for today's hyper cars, such as the Corvette and so on, as an example.
These engines require a fuel that is safe for their higher compression and still meet EPA's emission factors.
Chevron 94 is a very clean fuel and is also Oxygenated and dry to meet these standards.
What makes it clean and meet the EPA also can make it detrimental to your sled motor.

Here are a couple of the issues when used in 2 strokes, even though it sounds great because it is 94oct, it is also a slow killer on your crank and lower end components. Chevron 94 has a very low lubricity characteristic, so its capability to lube and cool the lower end of a 2stroke are poor. Even though two stroke engine have oil injected into their bottoms the fuel still needs to acts like a carrier to many vital components. Chevron 94 does not do that very well.
Another factor is because your sled motor has a lower compression ratio then the intended use of the Chevron 94 you will lose HP. Simply because the higher octane fuel has less energy then a lower octane fuel.
My recommendation is stick with the OE recommendation 91oct.

This falls in the same category as using AV (aviation) fuel in your sled to compensate, LOL.
A fuel formulated to burn at high elevation with a low oxygen content, "properly", much higher then your sled will ever run.
Though, AV fuel will not hurt your motor simply because it cannot burn efficiently, you will never get the energy out of it. Thus you will lose HP in your sled by using it.
Food for thought.
Sooooo hypoylthetically it's real VP race fuel or nothing if a guy was going to Stagec3 his Boost.??

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooo hypoylthetically it's real VP race fuel or nothing if a guy was going to Stagec3 his Boost.??
I’d say so. I’ve always used Shell Gold mixed with 110 VP racing if I needed octane for boosted sleds

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Why not just put in standard 91 octane (Premium Grade) fuel? Thats what I plan on doing. The days of mixing additives in my fuel or adding race fuel to my tank is something I did in my Nytro days. Don't plan on going there, fill up and ride. Usually get my fuel from petro can, but may be grabbing a pile from Co Op on Tuesday as Premium still says 0 ethanol and is 6 Cents off per L on Tuesdays.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think those octane booster bottles only raise octane by decimal points. Not worth the money
580003DD-2B54-4E91-B14B-4FA203D77E78.jpeg
DA013220-B415-4D76-9379-4D077FF9B6DA.png

Really depends on what fuel enhancer your running. Not all octane enhancers are snake oil.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No Shelburne is different. I'm talking the ones at crappy tire haha
You buy Lucas octane booster from Cambodian Rubber (Canadian Tire) the sh!t works 110% guaranteed!!! I kid you not I will never buy a barrel of C12 at $7.00/L … I’m not joking !
Grab a bottle do the math and you will be perplexed.
But I’m a dumb alberten

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically, yes that could be. What does "stage3" mean.
Personally, I don't like mixing and carrying gas cans with special fuel for that one sled for a number of reasons. Plus, the appeal of just pulling to the pump and filling is nice. Not that I didn't do that at one time, and I know plenty of others that still do.
If you're going to mix because you need more octane for whatever reason, my advice is 91oct and genuine race fuel.
I have no experience with boost bottles so can't comment but I would expect it in the long run would be a lot more expensive to use over a barrel, don't know.

Top Bottom