2023 G5 Turbo - Chevron 94 Non Ethanol

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically, yes that could be. What does "stage3" mean.
Personally, I don't like mixing and carrying gas cans with special fuel for that one sled for a number of reasons. Plus, the appeal of just pulling to the pump and filling is nice. Not that I didn't do that at one time, and I know plenty of others that still do.
If you're going to mix because you need more octane for whatever reason, my advice is 91oct and genuine race fuel.
I have no experience with boost bottles so can't comment but I would expect it in the long run would be a lot more expensive to use over a barrel, don't know.
50/50 mix 100LL/91 premium should be same as 91 premium/C12 at 50/50
Need to research a 98 octane mix or just do 100LL straight.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's an old chart I had from my boost it days with 91 pump...
IMG_E5115.JPG

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's an old chart I had from my boost it days with 91 pump...
View attachment 263283

FWIW, a guy can normally take AvGas to be 105 octane, because avgas is rated at MON, where pump fuel uses the (R+M)/2 rating. Most Avgas is going to be 103 MON or better. I've got some as good as 107 MON, the fuel supplier should get a slip when it's delivered to them and know what every batch is.

Otherwise I use the same math, and the lead from Avgas and Race Fuel give just a little more octane than the math suggests.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chevron 94 in a two stroke is not wise.
Chevron 94 was formulated for today's hyper cars, such as the Corvette and so on, as an example.
These engines require a fuel that is safe for their higher compression and still meet EPA's emission factors.
Chevron 94 is a very clean fuel and is also Oxygenated and dry to meet these standards.
What makes it clean and meet the EPA also can make it detrimental to your sled motor.

Here are a couple of the issues when used in 2 strokes, even though it sounds great because it is 94oct, it is also a slow killer on your crank and lower end components. Chevron 94 has a very low lubricity characteristic, so its capability to lube and cool the lower end of a 2stroke are poor. Even though two stroke engine have oil injected into their bottoms the fuel still needs to acts like a carrier to many vital components. Chevron 94 does not do that very well.
Another factor is because your sled motor has a lower compression ratio then the intended use of the Chevron 94 you will lose HP. Simply because the higher octane fuel has less energy then a lower octane fuel.
My recommendation is stick with the OE recommendation 91oct.

This falls in the same category as using AV (aviation) fuel in your sled to compensate, LOL.
A fuel formulated to burn at high elevation with a low oxygen content, "properly", much higher then your sled will ever run.
Though, AV fuel will not hurt your motor simply because it cannot burn efficiently, you will never get the energy out of it. Thus you will lose HP in your sled by using it.
Food for thought.
Do you have a source for this info on 94 being lower lubricity? I'm interested to see what it says since a buddy uses this in his car. Typically they have to meet an ASTM standard.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Pure c12 is what you need

Lol, I will stick to 94, it ran great in my last turbo when I was getting it at petro Canada which they claimed had ethanol in it, now I have a Chevron in town.

My G5 is new, gotta counteract the PDI regular gas that gets put in anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, I will stick to 94, it ran great in my last turbo when I was getting it at petro Canada which they claimed had ethanol in it, now I have a Chevron in town.

My G5 is new, gotta counteract the PDI regular gas that gets put in anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always get big eddy marked premium. My sled is NA, but all my stock turbo friends run that too.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well used shell 91 for few days … worked flawlessly. The gas lid on sled says “91 octane and ok up to 10% ethanol” dunno but that’s because it a Trudeau Toboggan 😂

Last edited:

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was was going to a lower grade fuel because there shoudn't be any " OLD " gas in station storage tanks and then increase the octane myself. I would rather buy premium but how do you find a station with high enough volume premium sales so you know you getting the good juice. Chemistry wasn't my thing in school. I do try to be logical though.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farm Boy so Biology was every day but a bag of fert would be interesting. The small bags that we used many moons ago of COARSE!!!

Top Bottom