2021 Yamaha Mountain Max

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems pretty stupid not to put one on from the factory.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so why isnt it on every sled then? If its as easy as putting a sending power to the stator.

There's this neat system we have that ensure the inventor of a new thing gets credit and the ability to profit from said inventions without others copying them, we call them patents.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who is this supposed to get excited? Imagine being a cat dealer. Cat - 'Hey dealers, you're going to have to try to sell the same sled as the last 9 years in a shrinking market, only this year.. this year... You may be also be watching a few of YOUR customers load up blue sleds down the street at a desperate Yamaha dealer giving away sleds at cost because he's got nothing else to do between motorcycle seasons.'

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's this neat system we have that ensure the inventor of a new thing gets credit and the ability to profit from said inventions without others copying them, we call them patents.

skidoo didn't invent the idea.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On one hand i think it’s great that Yamaha brought out a competitive mountain sled albeit a cat copy. On the other hand it would’ve been nice for Yamaha to add some more of their own tech and ideas to this new mountain max. Hopefully in due time they do just that. Competition drives innovation and we all win from that.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On one hand i think it’s great that Yamaha brought out a competitive mountain sled albeit a cat copy. On the other hand it would’ve been nice for Yamaha to add some more of their own tech and ideas to this new mountain max. Hopefully in due time they do just that. Competition drives innovation and we all win from that.
I hear ya and its a start. They did add their own mapping. When is the last time you saw Yamaha release a new model that ran like anything less than a Swiss watch?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was excited for this sled but not the cat clutching
im out

Not sure why the hate for the cat clutching. Easily fixable with some upgrades that make it outperform the competitors 850’s. This set up is butter smooth. The new mountain max has some huge potential. My first mountain sled was a 91 phaser so I’m pretty excited for the return of blue sleds even if they have some cat in them.

Attachments

• 786BE434-F625-48A3-8B7B-04EF72677C49.jpg
    786BE434-F625-48A3-8B7B-04EF72677C49.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 276

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why the hate for the cat clutching. Easily fixable with some upgrades that make it outperform the competitors 850’s. This set up is butter smooth. The new mountain max has some huge potential. My first mountain sled was a 91 phaser so I’m pretty excited for the return of blue sleds even if they have some cat in them.

Yes the good old 91 phaser, great sled, great smooth clutching, light and dependable.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It’s safe to say that cat has a problem with the drive clutches on the new sleds. Let’s not try to convince ourselves that they are good.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you are saying that people should spend 20 grand on a new sled and then another 2 grand to fix the clutch!Man You have more money than I do.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s safe to say that cat has a problem with the drive clutches on the new sleds. Let’s not try to convince ourselves that they are good.
Some people may have problems with their cat primary but I have not and I ride the $hit outta mine, over 3200km, bone stock clutching not a crack or issue at all, just changed the original belt because i figured it was time. Also that little 800 with the far more efficient clutching/ driveline hangs with 850's all day and even walks on them when they trench to china and all with 10 less hp on the dyno........ yes some people are breaking the primary but lots arent and acually I dont know one personally who has so tell me how they dont perform good or arent good

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Some people may have problems with their cat primary but I have not and I ride the $hit outta mine, over 3200km, bone stock clutching not a crack or issue at all, just changed the original belt because i figured it was time. Also that little 800 with the far more efficient clutching/ driveline hangs with 850's all day and even walks on them when they trench to china and all with 10 less hp on the dyno........ yes some people are breaking the primary but lots arent and acually I dont know one personally who has so tell me how they dont perform good or arent good

Wow......?

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

relax. I have a 2020 HC and the exploding drive clutch scares me a little.

Top Bottom