2016 Alberta Fire Ban OHV Use

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question....been making my kid drive the truck to work at the golf course that borders my land on the east...he usually takes the quad, it's maybe three minutes from my house to the clubhouse. the trail he takes leaves my quarter and enters the golf course campgrounds. both are private property, he goes through no bush except on the gravel roads in the campground. golf course is cool with him driving the quad on their property to get to work. do I let him take the quad??

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question....been making my kid drive the truck to work at the golf course that borders my land on the east...he usually takes the quad, it's maybe three minutes from my house to the clubhouse. the trail he takes leaves my quarter and enters the golf course campgrounds. both are private property, he goes through no bush except on the gravel roads in the campground. golf course is cool with him driving the quad on their property to get to work. do I let him take the quad??

No...you make him ride his bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Legally you're good since its both private land. Best to double check AESRD website about ban to make sure we have the right info.
I'd make sure he has all the insurance/registration/helmet ready to go in case someone calls the cops as they might think he rode the ditches to get there or most people think it's a total ban.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The ban states that farmer/ ranches are exempt from ban if the ohv is used for their practices, suppose your son's trip would fit into this category,,, kind of a gray area, but one would think he'd be ok on a short stint like that.

I'm sure many a good S&M folk could find something on the fire ban rules handed out last week.

Pal Don: If the ban don't lift this weekend, then a quad ride to fix fences on our property will consume my weekend, a chance to visit with the new caves and cows.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

would you not be under the jurisdiction of the county you reside in? give them a call see what they say!

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Probably all good, but IF he were to start a fire in the tinder dry conditions, how would you both feel? I really wanna ride my quad too, but I have NO problems waiting this ban out. 90,000 people were just displaced...... That's kinda like a kick in the face to them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
called my sled club contact with AEP and he had no issue with it since he will only be on private land.

Probably all good, but IF he were to start a fire in the tinder dry conditions, how would you both feel? I really wanna ride my quad too, but I have NO problems waiting this ban out. 90,000 people were just displaced...... That's kinda like a kick in the face to them.

we would certainly feel terrible, but there is no bush or grass to set alight on his path, he goes from a cultivated field to a gravel road. I wouldn't think of it if there was a chance that it could start a fire.

it's not that he has an intense desire to ride the quad, it's just convenience.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
called my sled club contact with AEP and he had no issue with it since he will only be on private land.

we would certainly feel terrible, but there is no bush or grass to set alight on his path, he goes from a cultivated field to a gravel road. I wouldn't think of it if there was a chance that it could start a fire.

it's not that he has an intense desire to ride the quad, it's just convenience.
That's fair. I wasn't meaning to sound like a douche either, so I hope you didn't take it that way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Nordeggab

Reaction score
It was easy to repect this ATV ban but its rained all night here and its still raining or snowing all around Nordegg. The respect is getting thin now. Our goverment better move on this soon.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is the reason it should be a county by county decision ... Not a blanket knee jerk reaction that will ultimately put further economic strain on areas that depend on the OHV income !

It seems the NDP are most capable at creating a financial cluster fawk at what ever they get their heads into though , if nothing else ......

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just thought I would add this. I have no problem with the ATV Ban. The problem I have is our government having different rules for different people. What do I mean? Well if you are native the law doesn't effect you (traditional lands), yes again the native/ white man sh.t. I am so sick and tired of this crap. It is 2016 and we as a society should start treating everyone equal. They never had Atv's 200 years ago. What do you think people would say if a native started a fire with their ATV when everyone else was respecting the law? I hope our government would be held responsible. They wonder why racism exists!! My two cents

Paruvka

Reaction score
Sure glad the ban is still on.

snow.jpg

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We parked the quad and saddle the horses when we head to the river with the dogs. It is like walking on corn flakes west of Edmonton in the river valley so private land owner or not probably best to listen to most of the warnings. I'd take 6" of snow at home right now and wouldn't b!tch on bit.

Top Bottom