2016 Alberta Fire Ban OHV Use

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this ohv ban is more of a panic at the thought of any more fires.
we have trucks from other city's occupied around FT mac i think any more fires and things would get out of control quick.

Ill respect the ban for now hopefully some real rain comes soon.

been watering my lawn and its still dieing more and more daily.

can only imagine what the bush and neighboring meadows and fields are like atm.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I think the main reason for the ban is NOT that ATV's will start a fire, it is that they don't want PEOPLE out in the bush at all right now, period. ATV's are source of mobility to get far into crown land, people who smoke ride ATV's, people have lunch campfires on the trails, there are some riders who are careless. With most resources up north they are spread pretty thin.

Nordeggab

Reaction score
Watch this turn into an annual spring closure. The Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association started this crap and I would like to know what they are doing to fix it now.

Paruvka

Reaction score
I don't think many of us were arguing against the ban when the whole province was dry. It's smart to focus the limited resources where they are most needed.

What we are arguing is that half the province is wet and covered in snow now, so the chances of starting a fire are virtually nil. It should now be a county by county decision.

Some of us have called the SRD inquiring about the ban lift and have been told they have no plan to lift it before May Long. That sucks, but on the bright side, it might keep the riffraff away from destroying our areas as it happens every year. Less bad press for OHV on May long might be good for a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ban smoking ...you will prevent way more fires , save billions in health care costs and not put half of the mom & pop small buisness 's into bankruptcy ....
But that is just not meant to be said .... Publicly !

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch this turn into an annual spring closure. The Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association started this crap and I would like to know what they are doing to fix it now.

They did? As far as I know, all they did was help spread the news to riders.

Nordeggab

Reaction score
Yes they did.This action comes in response to the request of the Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association and follows the government’s province wide fire ban and ban on incendiary targets on all provincial Crown lands issued May 5

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, they did, it was on the original press release from the GOA.

It was, and still is, a good idea at the time.

But I also think that local areas should be looked at one-by-one an opened up once "enough" rain falls. But then it will be "what is enough"? I don't have the answer to that.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What we are arguing is that half the province is wet and covered in snow now, so the chances of starting a fire are virtually nil. It should now be a county by county decision......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I agree with that. The only significant moisture fell south of hwy 1 and west of 2. The province for the majority is still extremely dry.

There hasn't been enough rain in central or northern Alberta to even beat the dust down in months. It's still tinder dry in the bush. We need a week or two of steady rain to make a significant contribution to the amount of moisture in the soil before anyone should even consider lifting a ban. We need inches over weeks not mm over a couple days to turn this around.

Sure the Turner Valley/Crowsnest area could lift the ban now, but unless it keeps up, in two weeks from now it's going to just get put back on.

I agree bans should be regional, and I'm certain they still are Cities and towns still make their own call. It was just a knee jerk to go province wide because of the dummies out there and how thinly the resources are spread right now.

Once the moisture returns, so will the regional bans.

Paruvka

Reaction score
Not sure I agree with that. The only significant moisture fell south of hwy 1 and west of 2. The province for the majority is still extremely dry.

There hasn't been enough rain in central or northern Alberta to even beat the dust down in months. It's still tinder dry in the bush. We need a week or two of steady rain to make a significant contribution to the amount of moisture in the soil before anyone should even consider lifting a ban. We need inches over weeks not mm over a couple days to turn this around.

Sure the Turner Valley/Crowsnest area could lift the ban now, but unless it keeps up, in two weeks from now it's going to just get put back on.

I agree bans should be regional, and I'm certain they still are Cities and towns still make their own call. It was just a knee jerk to go province wide because of the dummies out there and how thinly the resources are spread right now.

Once the moisture returns, so will the regional bans.

Are we still talking about OHV bans or fire bans?

I don't have a problem with fire bans at all, but for those older than me (40), how many fire related OHV bans have any of you lived through? I don't remember a single one.

I was doing a dualsport trip through Idaho in 2014 and it was one of the driest summers the state had on record. The forest fires were everywhere (99% lightning sparks). They had level 2 fire bans in the whole state (no open fires of any kind) but it never got to a level 3 which shuts down OHV or any access to backcountry. I know, different place different rules.

But I've never heard of a province wide OHV ban. Any of you geezers remember?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both.

I've seen fire's and had them start and put out by my groups I was with at the time that started from our machines. Burning skeg on the muffler was the ignition source.

I totally understand the dangers of it and why the province did what they did. I've never seen it as dry as it is now in my life. Unless you just ride gravel the danger is real.

This also is the first time I've ever heard of an ohv ban or restriction. But I totally understand why it's in effect.

Paruvka

Reaction score
Both.

I've seen fire's and had them start and put out by my groups I was with at the time that started from our machines. Burning skeg on the muffler was the ignition source.

I totally understand the dangers of it and why the province did what they did. I've never seen it as dry as it is now in my life. Unless you just ride gravel the danger is real.

This also is the first time I've ever heard of an ohv ban or restriction. But I totally understand why it's in effect.

So, are you condoning an OHV ban any time there is a fire ban? As that is how I'm interpreting what you're saying and what I'm talking about as I have never heard of that happening.

Any county that had significant snow/rain fall like Nordegg and SW Alberta should be looked at individually and OHV ban lifted even if the fire ban remains in place due to "overall lower rainfall than needed for open fires to be allowed".

All I'm trying to say that the government had a reaction to a crisis and just hope they use common sense to re-evaluate their reaction that is area specific.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, are you condoning an OHV ban any time there is a fire ban? As that is how I'm interpreting what you're saying and what I'm talking about as I have never heard of that happening.

Any county that had significant snow/rain fall like Nordegg and SW Alberta should be looked at individually and OHV ban lifted even if the fire ban remains in place due to "overall lower rainfall than needed for open fires to be allowed".

All I'm trying to say that the government had a reaction to a crisis and just hope they use common sense to re-evaluate their reaction that is area specific.

What I'm saying is I understand why they did it. And given the circumstances and my past experiences, yes I agree with it. It sucks, but I feel they made the right choice.

And I also think many people don't realize how dry it really is out there. Nordegg for instance has had far from a significant amount of precipitation in recent weeks. In fact it's only gotten about 3/4" in the past 14 days. And just over 2" in the past 2 1/2 months. And after a low snow winter 2 years in a row, it's a tinderbox out there.

Paruvka

Reaction score
What I'm saying is I understand why they did it. And given the circumstances and my past experiences, yes I agree with it. It sucks, but I feel they made the right choice.

And I also think many people don't realize how dry it really is out there. Nordegg for instance has had far from a significant amount of precipitation in recent weeks. In fact it's only gotten about 3/4" in the past 14 days. And just over 2" in the past 2 1/2 months. And after a low snow winter 2 years in a row, it's a tinderbox out there.

Like I said, I also agree they made the right choice when they implemented the ban. I just asked that they re-evaluate it once conditions changed like they have and they did as they lifted the bans for southern Alberta. So, applause for the government.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they will.
I just hope people don't get antsy just because they got a little rain in their area. It's gonna take alot more than a few mm in most areas to be considered a fire safe area.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Paruvka

Reaction score
I think they will.
I just hope people don't get antsy just because they got a little rain in their area. It's gonna take alot more than a few mm in most areas to be considered a fire safe area.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

They did lift them LBZ. Check out the link I posted above.

Top Bottom