2016 Alberta Fire Ban OHV Use

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
guy across the road from our subdivision was burning brush on Sunday during 70 km/h winds, I called the fire department and when they showed up they said "Oh crap, that's reserve land, we have no authority, it's federal and provincial bans don't apply." The RCMP showed up and in the end the fire was extinguished but I couldn't believe that he chose to resume burning at this point in time.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw this on Facebook over the weekend too Lara, its bullchit!...... I personally made a few anonymous calls to RCMP this weekend because of morons quadding in ditches along highways in long dry grass. I'd love to find some of these people and make them go for a personal tour of the damage that has occured in "The Mac" or talk to someone who's lost EVERYTHING because of a "fire" that may have been "by a water source"

The sense of entitlement makes me sick. I live in a very prone area that borders a provincial recreation area and local ATV trails so there is always a lot of people out here. For the most part people are excellent but there are a few that think that the rules don't apply to them. For the last three years I have packed up my most valuable belongings and have gotten ready to flee. Last May was the closest I have come yet to losing my home when the fire was less than a mile away and coming in our direction. There was a fire ban on at that time also but it was also ignored. I choose not to have 747 Supertankers flying over my home please.

Nordeggab

Reaction score
I have lived in Nordegg for 18 years and this is as dry as I have ever seen it here. We had little snow all winter and no spring rain yet. I have been worried about fire since before the Fort Mac disaster. We hve lots of evacuees from Fort Mac here and we would all love to go ATVing but we are waiting for rain. Yesterday wasnt enough rain to keep the dust down.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can say around canmore, bragg creek, Banff that it is August dry. We had snow on the ground but the rapid warm up this spring it all evaporated instead of being absorbed. Even with a day or so of rain here and there, it is crazy dry here. It will take a solid week of rain in order for things to not be tinder dry.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have said it for years, the government can make all kinds of rules and regulations for all kinds of situations but if they don't have the enforcers on the ground in numbers it is like pissing in the wind.

The rank and file CO's, sheriff's, SRD peeps, etc.. are all cut to the bare bones and it ends up being a joke. Provincial Parks may be an exception as some of the Rangers may actually have residence there in the summer months. I respect the back-country and know full well what and when the dangers are high and I fully support the closures. For the azzhats that don't there has to be enforcement and not just on the weekends as it should nearly be 24/7 when things get going.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 cows to bring out West to stay warm,,, must remember to keep them apart in-case they cause a static spark.

I hope they lift this P ban soon. It makes it hard for me to put on the 20.000 kms at years end. Ha

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok here my solution. Now remember I am making a funny here. Don't get all upset lol. We are allowed to ride but every machine has to have one of those sprayers attached to it. Spray water while riding. lol. Except the mud holes. Shut the water off and let them dry up.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone carrying a spray bottle filled with water and a shovel. should be in there all riding season. and a gallon or so collapsible bucket. dollar store $3.00

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can still ride at private Moto-X tracks, or on any other private land. Motos at xtreme raceways by Alix going on right now.

The restrictions are for public lands.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone carrying a spray bottle filled with water and a shovel. should be in there all riding season. and a gallon or so collapsible bucket. dollar store $3.00
Should that not be 3 for a buck ?

Top Bottom