2016 Alberta Fire Ban OHV Use

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to farmers on their own land, First nations on the res and governing athority like SR, F&W or RCMP, as well as a few others in Goverment branches that need access to places by ohv.

Geneal public ohv ban in place for for the rest.

The larger % of human power and equitment is in the North to. Control and extigish fire if possible.

Eastern slope groups have jumped on board with province for ban to lesson chances of more fires till the rain rolls in or the crews can be moved to the regular areas once the Ft Mac burn is manageible.

I to wonder about goverment, but I'd rather not be out West with my nice truck sitting on yellow grass as I'm out quading around wondering if a fire 30 kms away is heading cross country to burn my rig down,,, couldn't even think of parking a $$$ RV out there in these conditions.

Just a thought is all since I have many other things that will fill my days ahead.

Pal Don.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Going to put a big dent in Alberta's economy if they ban OHV use for most of the summer, people buy RV's, gas, food, trucks, rent, buy machines, etc. Yes I realize that fighting fires costs the province more that what OHV brings in, but this affects the chain, gas stores, parts shops, power sports employees, etc. Please lets all pray for rain, the province needs a good gentle soaking for at least a week.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A government friend is speculating that the ban will last all of may. I'm pretty bummed, so I hope my source is wrong. Ah well, I guess it's a good way to finally catch up on all the long overdue maintenance.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
A government friend is speculating that the ban will last all of may. I'm pretty bummed, so I hope my source is wrong. Ah well, I guess it's a good way to finally catch up on all the long overdue maintenance.
My best guess is that the ban will be lifted in and around May 24.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just following the long weekend????

Holy chit Doug, you just figuring this out now?

There's a long standing tradition of issuing avalanche bulletins on the evening before long weekends and lifting fire bans just following long weekends. ;)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, May Long in Alberta is a chit show. Keep the monkeys in their cages a bit longer.
Which is why I have a history of booking a few days off the weekend BEFORE May long and going out....up until this year I've always beat the fire-bans and lots of trails to me and my gang. May long is for yard work. Still going out this coming weekend, but looks like just a liver-test with no quads and no fires. Oh well, glad I got out a month ago....

Last edited:

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, May Long in Alberta is a chit show. Keep the monkeys in their cages a bit longer.

Unfortunately the monkeys are out all of the time. This douche and his douche friends enjoy having fires in the bush near my home. But I guess it's ok if there's water right there. Right?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

and it is a chit show out here also. I can't believe people behave they way they do when they go "camping". I stay home on most long weekends because I can and enjoy the peace and quiet in the middle of the weeks.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately the monkeys are out all of the time. This douche and his douche friends enjoy having fires in the bush near my home. But I guess it's ok if there's water right there. Right?
I saw this on Facebook over the weekend too Lara, its bullchit!...... I personally made a few anonymous calls to RCMP this weekend because of morons quadding in ditches along highways in long dry grass. I'd love to find some of these people and make them go for a personal tour of the damage that has occured in "The Mac" or talk to someone who's lost EVERYTHING because of a "fire" that may have been "by a water source"

Top Bottom