2011 summit etec issues

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the reflash feels like it makes the midrange a bit softer but pinned across the field its still rippin, whatever it runs fine anyway.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put some octane booster into my sled and took it for a rip yesterday. Must have been how warm it was in fernie that made it run bad. Still a beast.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing the flash did for my sled it help with the sputtering on the trail at 6500rpm, mid range hesitation is still there and is getting annoying, I have 270 miles on mine, and it's at the dealer right now checking for codes and to see if i'm through break in. Power is the same, and no loss in climbing track speed, 5ft of fresh pow this weekend and sustained track speed of 43MPH chewing. Other than the slight hesitation in midrange the sled rips.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are all your etec's running now do they still have the hesitation?..i am really looking at a 2011 but considering a 2012 as well but with issue all you are having i might have to go back to Cat.

jimxp

Reaction score
1700kms on mine now, hesitation stopped at 900kms, but same old summit problems. as longs as you gear down, and switch up clutching, and vent it real good its decent, only reason i havnt switched to the cats is i just love the chassis skidoo has.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are all your etec's running now do they still have the hesitation?..i am really looking at a 2011 but considering a 2012 as well but with issue all you are having i might have to go back to Cat.

Any of the blubbering, backfiring and such at lower altitudes is due to the break in mapping.

Up until 1800meters (or 1600? I forget) the sled will run on a different mapping. The mapping switches after so many litres of fuel burned. Not on mileage.

Of the 2011's I've ridden all have worked very well. Some with stock clutching and not blowing any belts.

It does suck that the sleds need extra venting added but BRP needs to meet the noise regs and it sucks we spend extra money on clutching, but we want the best performance from our $13,000 toys. Many people I ride with never touch their clutching and they run well.

You will always hear of more negative issues than positive, plain and simple. Go on a Cat forum and they have their own issues. As mentioned though, I ride an XP for the fact I like riding it. I'm not a fan of Cats, and haven't had enough ride time on the new Pro's to have a solid opinion. They have their own motor issues.

I'm on the fence on a new 2012. But way I figure it I'd like to ride something that I know.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of the blubbering, backfiring and such at lower altitudes is due to the break in mapping.

Up until 1800meters (or 1600? I forget) the sled will run on a different mapping. The mapping switches after so many litres of fuel burned. Not on mileage.

Of the 2011's I've ridden all have worked very well. Some with stock clutching and not blowing any belts.

It does suck that the sleds need extra venting added but BRP needs to meet the noise regs and it sucks we spend extra money on clutching, but we want the best performance from our $13,000 toys. Many people I ride with never touch their clutching and they run well.

You will always hear of more negative issues than positive, plain and simple. Go on a Cat forum and they have their own issues. As mentioned though, I ride an XP for the fact I like riding it. I'm not a fan of Cats, and haven't had enough ride time on the new Pro's to have a solid opinion. They have their own motor issues.

I'm on the fence on a new 2012. But way I figure it I'd like to ride something that I know.

i can understand the break in but some guys are saying 900kms and now it's gone.Personally i dunno if i would even get 900km on in a year(snow pending).
I have asked the guys in the Cat forum what issue's they have...I have nothing against either Doo or Cat both are a blast to ride but the hesitation turns me away from Doo...
Is the hesitation only at a certain RPM and then it's fine,does it happen when a guy does a pull?...might just need to ride one to see the issue...

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can understand the break in but some guys are saying 900kms and now it's gone.Personally i dunno if i would even get 900km on in a year(snow pending).
I have asked the guys in the Cat forum what issue's they have...I have nothing against either Doo or Cat both are a blast to ride but the hesitation turns me away from Doo...
Is the hesitation only at a certain RPM and then it's fine,does it happen when a guy does a pull?...might just need to ride one to see the issue...

Hesitation is only on the bottom end not the top end. I heard that the etec is sensitive to a quick rate of rpm at lower elevations so I installed more pin weight and I didn't have a hesitation at altitude, but there was a hesitation on the trail so I tried clicking down on the trail and the hesitation was not as bad.
My dealer really layed into some engineers at the dealer meeting last week and the hesitaion was a problem in the evinrude etec outboards as well. engineers have said that some people are having the issue and some are not.
I noticed a problem ever since my sled was new but BRP said it was caused by breakin and I have not noticed a difference in performance fuel or oil usage since my sled was new, even after the breakin peroid expired, My sled hauls AZZ and works very well if I found the bandaid for the hesitation at altitude I can live with it. This sled has exceeded my expectations performance wise.

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I will be home next weekend i have a 2011 x 163 come take it for a ride sunday.

sledheadjoe

Reaction score
i know 3 guys with etec's and they dont have any issues:confused:. the only issue is the price tag. i saw a etec and a powertek kick a polaris rmk pros ass yesterday in mcbride :d

Reaction score
The issues I had with my hesitation was solved with the pin weights in the primary. The Etec hits the rev limiter at 8100 RPM. I took my sled back to the dealer and they said my sled with the clickers on 1 was the same as their demo on 3. Not sure why but once we figured this out my sled has been running great. The only issue I have with this sled is the air intake freezing up when it is around -20 and in powder.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know 3 guys with etec's and they dont have any issues:confused:. the only issue is the price tag. i saw a etec and a powertek kick a polaris rmk pros ass yesterday in mcbride :d

ya if your on snowwest the pro kills the etecs,but i hear the etec still champ on the hill in are areas and thats from pro riders.:beer:

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode with my friend on his etec all weekend. Completely stock, he has over 1400kms on his belt and it still looks great! :eek::eek::d:d

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode with my friend on his etec all weekend. Completely stock, he has over 1400kms on his belt and it still looks great! :eek::eek::d:d
He must ride it a HELL of a lot nicer than I ride mine!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He definately doesnt baby it...lots of steep long pulls where we ride! Lots of WOT pow carving. Not sure how you could ride it any harder. But like any smart doo rider if youve been riding er hard for a bit, just take a break. Pop open ur clutch side panel and let the primary cool down. Will save your belt!

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He definately doesnt baby it...lots of steep long pulls where we ride! Lots of WOT pow carving. Not sure how you could ride it any harder. But like any smart doo rider if youve been riding er hard for a bit, just take a break. Pop open ur clutch side panel and let the primary cool down. Will save your belt![/QUOTE]

Thats a smart idea never thought of doing that on the hill. :cool: i usually just put a thousand km on a belt and then put a new one on

Top Bottom