2011 Rocky Mountain Snowmobile Show Red Deer - This show is NOT an ASA Show

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:di guess the asa gets a lot of volunteers and members by making us go to the sled dealers to find out who to phone. the little girl behind the countrer just started last week. i have to go to the dealer to find out when the club is going to have a poker run. may get better turn out if they post it here also. anyway this could go on forever. premier sled site and very little asa info, and what there is lacking. post sled clubs contact names and #'s. post events, or do as you are doing and slowly fade into the sunset amigo.

so inform us all what is the asa and what are they doing and what are there next events. etc.

and no, i have already been on the web site, this is your opportunity to shine.:d

and which club/area would you like info on .... and if you say crowsnow riders the next time i ride with you im not helping you get unstuck :d:d:d:d:d

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Is there going to be an ASA show in Calgary this year?

Lots of chatter and slander about the Calgary Club and show, thought I'd weigh in and let you know what has happened and what the Calgary Club is planning,,
During our last couple of Local Shows, put on by the Calgary Club in Community venues, support and interest dropped and attendance stunk, the ASA came on board and in an effort to make it bigger and better, moved it to a larger venue with support from the Big 4 Manufacturers, but even with their tremendous support, the attendance was just not there to continue with a Calgary show. We, the Calgary Club, only had a booth in the show to hold a silent auction, which raises money for out operating budget for the year, we did not run this show, only had a small presence.
Due to the timing, the Calgary Club has decided not to hold a show this year, 2011, but we are already working on a show for late September 2012, I have spoken personally with 3 of the local dealers and they are all for it. We will be seeking out a venue, community based again, for a smaller, hopefully supported by sledders in Alberta, more of a swap meet, Dealers selling sleds, new and used, gear, clothing and whoever else we can get to participate and buy the inexpensive booth space. Logistics are still being worked out, but it will be inexpensive and fun, a more Grass Roots style of show, hopefully see you all there.
We are going to take a booth in the Edmonton, ASA Snow Show and run our Silent Auction to raise funds for our 2011/2012 operating budget, which pays for our meeting hall and the various clubs and charities we support annually.
The Calgary Club will not beat you up to buy a membership, but we make the opportunity available to you and anyone else who wants to become a part of the bigger picture and support the sport we are all so passionate about. We don't want to stand there with our hands out, you should want to support the sport !! My feeling is, with the number of sleds in southern Alberta and the city of Calgary alone, our membership should exceed the 150 mark which we are hard pressed to break each year. I hear lots of grumbling about the trail conditions at Cataract, and witnessed full parking lots at Cataract and Etherington staging areas, lots of chatter about riding over Fording, but the majority of users will not buy a Trail Pass or Club Membership to support the area, which is why we lost the grooming in the area, SRD and Parks and Rec laugh at the small # we represent when fighting to keep the area open, without the ASA and the Calgary Club, Cataract, Etherington and Fording Pass would not be available for you to use !! This is an ongoing battle, do your part !! Not saying you have to be the voice at the table, but your membership packs a lot more weight than you realize !!
I have heard the comment "I don't Ride Here" way too many times, makes me wonder where you plan to ride without support from organizations like the ASA, ABCSF and BCSF, who work tirelessly to keep the sport viable in both provinces, Alberta and BC, to keep riding areas open, funding from our governments, Trail Liability insurance, covered by the purchase of a Trail Pass in whichever province you ride in, Sled Smart Program, Avalanche Training programs etc. Wake up, smell the coffee, without support from all sledders, the sport could be in some serious trouble. The cost of membership is less than a day of riding anywhere and we could use the numbers in our day to day challenges. I myself am a member of the Eagle Valley Snowmobile Club as well, I only manage to get in about a week of riding out there per year and be further ahead financially to just buy a Trail Pass each day I ride, but I can be counted in the number of Memberships they have sold and it is just another way I can support the Sport !
I don't think boycotting the Red Deer show is the right call, as anything to support the sport is good, the comments are just to let you know that it is not an ASA sanctioned show, and the organizer is a "For Profit" company, with nothing going back into the sport other than sales generated by the vendors who all paid dearly to be there,,,

Ask not what the ASA does for you, any member knows, but what you can do for the ASA !!!

Joel
President
Calgary Snowmobile Club
403-771-6616

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of chatter and slander about the Calgary Club and show, thought I'd weigh in and let you know what has happened and what the Calgary Club is planning,,
During our last couple of Local Shows, put on by the Calgary Club in Community venues, support and interest dropped and attendance stunk, the ASA came on board and in an effort to make it bigger and better, moved it to a larger venue with support from the Big 4 Manufacturers, but even with their tremendous support, the attendance was just not there to continue with a Calgary show. We, the Calgary Club, only had a booth in the show to hold a silent auction, which raises money for out operating budget for the year, we did not run this show, only had a small presence.
Due to the timing, the Calgary Club has decided not to hold a show this year, 2011, but we are already working on a show for late September 2012, I have spoken personally with 3 of the local dealers and they are all for it. We will be seeking out a venue, community based again, for a smaller, hopefully supported by sledders in Alberta, more of a swap meet, Dealers selling sleds, new and used, gear, clothing and whoever else we can get to participate and buy the inexpensive booth space. Logistics are still being worked out, but it will be inexpensive and fun, a more Grass Roots style of show, hopefully see you all there.
We are going to take a booth in the Edmonton, ASA Snow Show and run our Silent Auction to raise funds for our 2011/2012 operating budget, which pays for our meeting hall and the various clubs and charities we support annually.
The Calgary Club will not beat you up to buy a membership, but we make the opportunity available to you and anyone else who wants to become a part of the bigger picture and support the sport we are all so passionate about. We don't want to stand there with our hands out, you should want to support the sport !! My feeling is, with the number of sleds in southern Alberta and the city of Calgary alone, our membership should exceed the 150 mark which we are hard pressed to break each year. I hear lots of grumbling about the trail conditions at Cataract, and witnessed full parking lots at Cataract and Etherington staging areas, lots of chatter about riding over Fording, but the majority of users will not buy a Trail Pass or Club Membership to support the area, which is why we lost the grooming in the area, SRD and Parks and Rec laugh at the small # we represent when fighting to keep the area open, without the ASA and the Calgary Club, Cataract, Etherington and Fording Pass would not be available for you to use !! This is an ongoing battle, do your part !! Not saying you have to be the voice at the table, but your membership packs a lot more weight than you realize !!
I have heard the comment "I don't Ride Here" way too many times, makes me wonder where you plan to ride without support from organizations like the ASA, ABCSF and BCSF, who work tirelessly to keep the sport viable in both provinces, Alberta and BC, to keep riding areas open, funding from our governments, Trail Liability insurance, covered by the purchase of a Trail Pass in whichever province you ride in, Sled Smart Program, Avalanche Training programs etc. Wake up, smell the coffee, without support from all sledders, the sport could be in some serious trouble. The cost of membership is less than a day of riding anywhere and we could use the numbers in our day to day challenges. I myself am a member of the Eagle Valley Snowmobile Club as well, I only manage to get in about a week of riding out there per year and be further ahead financially to just buy a Trail Pass each day I ride, but I can be counted in the number of Memberships they have sold and it is just another way I can support the Sport !
I don't think boycotting the Red Deer show is the right call, as anything to support the sport is good, the comments are just to let you know that it is not an ASA sanctioned show, and the organizer is a "For Profit" company, with nothing going back into the sport other than sales generated by the vendors who all paid dearly to be there,,,

Ask not what the ASA does for you, any member knows, but what you can do for the ASA !!!

Joel
President
Calgary Snowmobile Club
403-771-6616

way too many guys that think stuff will just happen because

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of information on this forum. Under Snowmobile Club Info. there is a section titled Snowmobile Rallies and Events. There is also a listing for all the A.S.A. Clubs. A lot of the clubs have a website with detailed information. Try Home of the Whitecourt Trailblazers as an example.

hmm not sure what site you are reading? they list 33 clubs in the asa. can you tell me how many have alisting on this site? almost 1\3 are absent 9 of 33 clubs have no mention at all and most have very little activity of any sort.

james brady was the president. 3 of the 4 clubs in his home area have no mention at all, on this site. his own club is sadly lacking any info.
please explain, where is all this friggin info?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and if ya googled most of those names ya can come up with what ya need to know .....its not like getting stuck sometimes ya just have to do some legwork

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and if ya googled most of those names ya can come up with what ya need to know .....its not like getting stuck sometimes ya just have to do some legwork

i understand. you want visibility you have to get your mug out there. no posters, no club news nothing at most sled/bike shops. can only see a very small number of people going to the effort. i purchased a membership at the asa edmonton show once, never had a call to come out or anything else, i called and left message, left it as such. haven't bought since.

as far as i see there is only a hand full of clubs with any activity at all. crowsnest club:beer: is one of the few.

seems every spring/fall people on here want to find riding areas and poker runs etc. why no clubs are not getting these people out is beyond me.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It takes someone within a club to provide information, The AB beach club didn't have a section on S&M until I asked for one.... S&M is a private run site and it's not RK's responsibility to include all clubs, but he will gladly work with the ones that ask (Iknow this isn't what you were getting at)... From what I can figure about the AB Beach club so far is they have a very dedicated small aging core and up until I joined they didn't have a S&M regular involved. The core group only have so much time and energy and "online promotion" was not even considered. Most promotion to date has been done thru Ecko Marine and the AB Beach Sno-Mo days put on by the Lions. For the clubs that are not currently represented on S&M or active in club promotion your absolutly right that it is a problem they need to fix internally, the most successful clubs are those with the most active membership. You've pointed out that your lack of club involvement is due to lack of or missinformation....fair....BUT if you were truely that concerned the information can be found as polarice stated "with a little bit of legwork"... far as drawing attention to shortcommings good job, at least it's being discussed now... I hope that with my GBCA brothers we will increase the AB club membership and manpower significantly next year, but only time will tell.

It's a hell of a drive for ya Larry but our club would welcome you and your beer.....Just sayin...

i understand. you want visibility you have to get your mug out there. no posters, no club news nothing at most sled/bike shops. can only see a very small number of people going to the effort. i purchased a membership at the asa edmonton show once, never had a call to come out or anything else, i called and left message, left it as such. haven't bought since.

as far as i see there is only a hand full of clubs with any activity at all. crowsnest club:beer: is one of the few.

seems every spring/fall people on here want to find riding areas and poker runs etc. why no clubs are not getting these people out is beyond me.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bogger, you're making me misty. your right, a little bit of leg work is required. i'm just stirring the pot to get someone to hear what i'm saying. i have a golden membership, not an active member, but feel i need to pay for the work they do on trails etc.
i have sent those asking for info to the clubs in question. i would like to see more info and activity on sled sites, seems the way to get people involved.
looks like there is some activity happening on this thread, that is the intent.

i would be pleased to attend the ab beach club events whenever i am in the area. :d:beer::beer::beer:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ok tell ya what you buy a asa trail pass thru the crow snow riders ill take you out and show you all the stuff you keep missing everytime you drive by

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The club I belong to has had no problem attracting people to events or getting volunteers out for work. Most of the activity is developing, maintaining, clearing and grooming our trails. Most of the people enjoying the use of these trails are not from the immediate area. We take this as a compliment that they will drive long distances to come here. I do not think it is that difficult to find a local club and help with the work or take part in activities. Perhaps a bit more initiative is required? We do have some people that come out from the Edmonton area to help with trail clearing.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
You also get major support from your county officials and citizens in general...kinda hard to be against snowmobiling when you live in the snowmobile capital....lol. Our biggest current issue is dealing with a county council who are vocally against OHV's period. You guys have an awesome set-up I did a quick morning run up to eagle river this year, very impressed, mind you I've also never ridden our local AB beach trails yet... The wife and I will be spending some time on the golden triangle next winter and I hope someday our system can link into yours but it is a long uphill battle...

The club I belong to has had no problem attracting people to events or getting volunteers out for work. Most of the activity is developing, maintaining, clearing and grooming our trails. Most of the people enjoying the use of these trails are not from the immediate area. We take this as a compliment that they will drive long distances to come here. I do not think it is that difficult to find a local club and help with the work or take part in activities. Perhaps a bit more initiative is required? We do have some people that come out from the Edmonton area to help with trail clearing.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be more than happy to show you some of our new trails. A lot of our publicity is happy riders telling their friends. A very effective telegraph system. Some pretty good quadding out here as well.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:eek:what? are we not allowed to see what is happin in red deer, a month in advance of asa show. i'm not sure what to say here, sure don't like to be told what to do or not to do. may attend both shows, or may not. but thanks for the info. can't see red deer being a large presence or take much away from the big show in edmonchuck.
I agree. Seems that those 10% of sledders in Alberta that belong to clubs want to tell the other 90% of sledders what to do. One of the reasons I go riding, besides the fun of riding, is to to get the hell away from crowds, get into the outdoors, and get away from being told what to do, etc. I saw the President of the ASA, on this site, post that if you didn't buy an ASA trail pass, you should not be allowed to ride on any crown land in Alberta, whether you're riding on a groomed, maintained trail or not. That pretty much turned me off. You know, if you want to belong to a club, go for it, but don't be telling me I have to or that I shouldn't be able to ride on any crown land in Alberta without an ASA trail pass. I have purchased said trail pass both of the last two years and did not once ride on any trails maintained by a club. From the posts I've seen on here the last couple years, if you're not a club member, you're nothing but crap. Belong to your club, but don't be telling the rest of us what to do.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So you buy a pass, but don't want to be told to buy a pass, don't ride any groomed trails but enjoy riding crown land... I don't necessarily believe in a manditory "trailpass" to ride crown land, that is what registration & insurance is for and our registration should allow us to "be counted" but that does not seem to be the case...in order to be counted they want to ADD a fee to existing registrations because the money we pay now goes into general revenue..... As a member of the ASA you have the right to a say and if you think the president is being a douche it is your right to express that and ask for better... we could have a good old fashion coup....I do however believe that joining the association is important, and clubs even more-so this is my first year as a member of either, and I used the 80% ditchbangin and 20% mountain logic as well.... now that I see what a big difference a small group can make, I get excited over the possibility of what we could achieve collectively, so I won't "tell" people to join but I will ask... and I won't say to stay away from the red deer show just point out that it is a business venture as opposed to a "non profit organization"... dealerships are a business venture and I won't tell you to stay away from them either... I haven't even ridden my clubs trails yet (I still love the ditch) but I fear if we can not produce solid #'s our crown land riding days could be numbered....

Do as you wish but try to see there is a world outside of our speck that threatens to squish us many not knowing or believing we exist.....

can you guess the movie reference?????

I agree. Seems that those 10% of sledders in Alberta that belong to clubs want to tell the other 90% of sledders what to do. One of the reasons I go riding, besides the fun of riding, is to to get the hell away from crowds, get into the outdoors, and get away from being told what to do, etc. I saw the President of the ASA, on this site, post that if you didn't buy an ASA trail pass, you should not be allowed to ride on any crown land in Alberta, whether you're riding on a groomed, maintained trail or not. That pretty much turned me off. You know, if you want to belong to a club, go for it, but don't be telling me I have to or that I shouldn't be able to ride on any crown land in Alberta without an ASA trail pass. I have purchased said trail pass both of the last two years and did not once ride on any trails maintained by a club. From the posts I've seen on here the last couple years, if you're not a club member, you're nothing but crap. Belong to your club, but don't be telling the rest of us what to do.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems to be a bitch fest. the idea was so the asa and various clubs would become more open, and start promoting themselves. as it is almost 1/3 have no presence on here at all. they should be all over this site, and this thread telling the rest of us what they are doing etc. i must commend bogger as the best so far, anyone else can tell us what there club is doing or going to do. this is the place for club promotion, how about telling us what your up to. ;)

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems to be a bitch fest. the idea was so the asa and various clubs would become more open, and start promoting themselves. as it is almost 1/3 have no presence on here at all. they should be all over this site, and this thread telling the rest of us what they are doing etc. i must commend bogger as the best so far, anyone else can tell us what there club is doing or going to do. this is the place for club promotion, how about telling us what your up to. ;)

Yes, and please promote info on Snow and Mud web site Hahah, frig who can afford to visit the sled shops to find out info for upcoming events. If the info was on this site with it's wealth of members; this would be great! I hear your message Larry, and it simply makes great sense to me... It's too bad the promotional people and PR reps etc... don't cash in on S&M event promoting. I smell a Red Deer club in the making.... Just saying is all ;)

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, and please promote info on Snow and Mud web site Hahah, frig who can afford to visit the sled shops to find out info for upcoming events. If the info was on this site with it's wealth of members; this would be great! I hear your message Larry, and it simply makes great sense to me... It's too bad the promotional people and PR reps etc... don't cash in on S&M event promoting. I smell a Red Deer club in the making.... Just saying is all ;)

and what info would you like to see on snow and mud

Top Bottom