BC Environment Minister says mountains will remain closed.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea it just a cash grab. How about a uses at ur own risk policy? Get fawked up back there and ur on ur own. Would work for me.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i took the course a few years ago and i had been boating for many years and i found it very informative, but then i took the course and did not just challenge the test. I'm not involved in water rescues but some of the guys in our group are and they say that the program has helped, so does the local RCMP.
Thats all i can say about it, i think it has been revised though, not sure.

These courses are not generally expensive, it was like $80 for the boaters course. In my early years i was in the armforces, stationed out of Chilliwack and yet i still had to take my firearm course for my firearms i own, no if or but's. Do you think that was a BORE for me, it was very basic but a must to show my conpentency. Military and Xmilitary, RCMP and XRCMP all have to take the course if they want to own firearms at home......no grandfathering anymore and hasn't been in many years. These courses are generally not expensive, i believe the restricted was around $80.

Now take a riding course with some superstar rider and see what that cost's i'm sure its no $80.

To get my guiding licence i had to take a backcountry survival course that mostly specialized in winter survival, that was a week off work and approx. $900.
The point is to improve things education is #1 and yes you agree but you can not leave it by chance and that is what is going on now.

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is already a sled safety course that has been created by the Canada safety council and I have not taken it but I have taken their ATV and UTV courses for work and I can tell you they are 100% useless for anyone with any real experience. The instructor knew less about how to ride than almost everyone in the course and pretty well just read out of a book the whole time. Total waste of time and money. In my experience all of these educational courses have no real useful content, and they can't make up for a lack of common sense, which really isn't all that common.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is already a sled safety course that has been created by the Canada safety council and I have not taken it but I have taken their ATV and UTV courses for work and I can tell you they are 100% useless for anyone with any real experience. The instructor knew less about how to ride than almost everyone in the course and pretty well just read out of a book the whole time. Total waste of time and money. In my experience all of these educational courses have no real useful content, and they can't make up for a lack of common sense, which really isn't all that common.

My friend Mark Shaede teaches a safe riding course for new sledders here in Revy. One of the best riders and most knowledgeable people you'll ever meet when it comes to Mountain sledding

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend Mark Shaede teaches a safe riding course for new sledders here in Revy. One of the best riders and most knowledgeable people you'll ever meet when it comes to Mountain sledding

I would think that this course that your friend teaches would be a whole lot different than a mandatory, government regulated course that would likely be taught by someone with little to no real world experience on a sled. Not saying that a good course can't exist, just saying that any course I have seen that is a result of government intervention has been pretty useless. Not to sure how much an experienced rider would gain from a course aimed at entry level riders either. I don't really think there is much of a substitute for being taught things the right way growing up.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think that this course that your friend teaches would be a whole lot different than a mandatory, government regulated course that would likely be taught by someone with little to no real world experience on a sled. Not saying that a good course can't exist, just saying that any course I have seen that is a result of government intervention has been pretty useless. Not to sure how much an experienced rider would gain from a course aimed at entry level riders either. I don't really think there is much of a substitute for being taught things the right way growing up.

Oh I agree, and I don't think people should be forced to take chit. But for people that want to take a course there is good ones out there.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea it just a cash grab. How about a uses at ur own risk policy? Get fawked up back there and ur on ur own. Would work for me.

People are right on a lot of points, it is a slippery slope. We live in a first world country, may not seem like it sometimes, we help people. All fine to say charge etc, until Jonny figures he or his family can not afford a rescue and dies. Where do we draw the line? No more coast guard, not my fault you took your POS boat out and need help. Or road resuce, which our search and rescue help with all the time, to bad for you, should not have been on the road, or......you get it. Me, I am proud to live in a country where we help each other.

Now this Caribou BS is a whole lot of garbage. I don't have it in me to type my feelings on it, but it drives me crazy.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People are right on a lot of points, it is a slippery slope. We live in a first world country, may not seem like it sometimes, we help people. All fine to say charge etc, until Jonny figures he or his family can not afford a rescue and dies. Where do we draw the line? No more coast guard, not my fault you took your POS boat out and need help. Or road resuce, which our search and rescue help with all the time, to bad for you, should not have been on the road, or......you get it. Me, I am proud to live in a country where we help each other.

Now this Caribou BS is a whole lot of garbage. I don't have it in me to type my feelings on it, but it drives me crazy.

Oh for sure Search and Rescue is great. One day ill probably Volunteer to be part of that, I like to help people. Lund seems pretty bitter about it,, don't want to help people out when they are lost or hurt in the back country, don't volunteer to go help... pretty simple. And yeah Caribou,,, hole other can of worms..

Top Bottom