2009 outlander

outlander86

Reaction score
Ughh... issues.

So I went on a snowmobling/quadding trip over new years for three nights. I leant my 2009 outlander 800 to my buddy and his girlfirend to use. One day we were playing on the lake, and they got my quad into a bit of overflow... Only about 6 inches though, and Ive had my quad wheelying through 4 feet of water in the summer, so I know water isnt an issue. Anyhow. That was day one. The quad ran for three days without issue after the fact. The moment we were about to leave, she wouldn't start. It'd turn over fine and all was good, but would not start at all. We figured that it was maybe because it had been encased in ice at the bottom, so we built a fire under the quad and melted everything. Still no start. Put it in the garage at about 20 celsius on trickle charge for three days. No start. After ten days, I went up to it, and she started! Cool! Electronics needed to dry out or something. Went to start it two hours later... No start. Got it running the other day (about 17 days in the garage.) managed to get it to about 3000 rpm... Sounds like its missing. Checked the fuses prior and they are all good. I havent had time or patience to check the plugs yet... Other than the plugs, any other ideas?

Quad is
-dry
-full of charge
-good fuses
-no water in the oil
-no water in the intake system
-all auxiliary systems work.

Buddy of mine said the ECM may be full,(it does overheat when towing in the summer and playing in the 'skeg) and the it may need to be cleared? I can't make any sense of it, but if you know anything please reply!

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm actually suprised that the plug isn't the first thing you checked. I'm willing to bet it is a fouled plug. I had fouled ones that would still start at times.

Swap both and report back with your findings. If there STILL is a problem after new plugs, I'd say your valves could be out of adjustment and need to be re-shimmed.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would bet fouled plugs. The ECM seems strange as I know ATVs that have over 5000 miles on them and never had an ECM issue.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Pull ur plugs when its acting up, then hook'em back in to the plug boots, ground out plugs, and crank over, do u have spark w old plugs? Then upgrade to iridium plugs,check spark again. hows the spark now.

if u can chek ur compression too. If ur valves r out of whack like "quadboy" thinks u'll have low compression(100 psi and under.
The only way u ur valves clearances get tighter is from runnin a dry air filter, or low oil.

check to see if ur fuse block up front is not heavily corroded, a corroded connection at a fuse or diodes will cause problems. if it is, clean up corrosion, heavily dielecric grease every connection, even ur plug boots, i'd start at the plugs first. could be as simple as water grounding out plug boot.

Top Bottom